• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Tacoma courthouse

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would like to start by saying this... In a tread in the Washington section I mentioned that I had a reckless driving charge on my criminal record that I was charged with and I needed it off of my record, there was a few people that replayed to me giving me info on how to resolve that issue, I would like to say thank you guys for your input and advice andyou know who you are. I went to the courthouse in Tacoma and started that process. You guys were a big help to me thanks a lot for your time to respond and give me advice.. on getting the charge expunged

Well that was the reason I went to the courthouse today, to clear my criminal record so I can get a job. Well this is how it went. I went to the scanner, and told the lady I need to check in my weapons. The lady working the scanners say Code 1 in her walkie talkie. about 25-30 min later a police officer came with a bag, and told me to step in the breeze way where a table was. I was OC my XDm with a spare mag on my weak side.He asked for it and I went to take it out of the holster, then I said oops sorry, and I let him take it out. (Blackhawak CQC) at first he just pulled on it, then he pressed the lever as I was about to tell him. ( he knew andfound it before I told him).

Then he took my mag andsaid "ok". But I said Oh I have another one in my pocket:D. That got a reaction from him. He then asked "what department are you with?" I said none. I'm just nothing. So then he took them away in the holster for safety of transport and told me to keep a card that he gave me, and he made sure I had that thing so I could get my guns back.

I saw him in the building as I was doing my thing. and he then asked for my CPL because I had the .357mag in my pocket. I said "sure" and showed it to him. he said "they should have kept it with my guns but it's ok for now." and he asked me how long i will be, and that if he is not there to help me someone else would help me. Very nice guy

When I was leaving I went back to the scanner and another code 1, yet another 25-30min later my guns were brought out by another officer. he smiled and motioned me to follow him to the same table I was at the first time. he open the bag and I placed my XDm on my hip OC and my .357 in my weak pocket, and my extra mag on my belt. It was kind of a awkward moment, so I said are you with Tacoma PD? I do not think he answered me but asked "Do you OC call the time?" I said yeah about 90% he said do you have a CPL I answered "yes", I went to show it to him. then he said "O it's ok we just want to keep them with the guns while we keep them" then "have a nice day."

Then I left for my car

The officers were both very polite to me anddid not mind my OC at all. it was like they knew it was legal and had no issues with it at all. It was a very good experience to see the officers accept it.

Thanksto everyone that has helped me learn more about carrying and WA laws. If it were not for you guys to give me a understanding of the court procedures ( and other ordinances in WA)I would have left my guns in the car as I have done before.

So I am just sharing my experience with you guys that may go there after me.

Mainsail

imported post

I was in the week before last to renew my CPL. My GF and I came in on the second floor and told the security lady I needed to check in a gun, she called on her radio, and an officer showed up about five minutes later. He never touched it; instead, I just took off the whole thing, holster and all, and put it in the bag with my spare magazine. He asked if I had a license and I told him I was there to renew it, and that I wasn’t carrying concealed, he just chuckled and said nothing.

On the way out it took the deputy about ten minutes to bring it back, we stepped into the breezeway, and he held the bag open for me to take the gun. He didn’t wait around to watch me put it all back on; I suppose he was busy with something else or just didn’t think it worth hanging around for.

olypendrew

imported post

25-30 minutes coming and going??? That sounds ridiculous to me. That sounds like they are taking their own sweet time in order to discourage people from exercising their right to carry, and to check their weapon at the courthouse. Most people, I bet, would just leave their gun at home or in the car rather than wait an extra hour.

spike89

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
...yet another 25-30min later my guns were brought out...
In all, you spent 50-60 minutes waiting around to check in/check out your pistol? Seems like they need to qualify the security screener to do the job so your time isn't wasted while complying with restrictions on your rights.

Edit to add: You beat me to it olypendrew :)

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

olypendrew wrote:
25-30 minutes coming and going??? That sounds ridiculous to me. That sounds like they are taking their own sweet time in order to discourage people from exercising their right to carry, and to check their weapon at the courthouse. Most people, I bet, would just leave their gun at home or in the car rather than wait an extra hour.

I thought the same thing, that thy do not want people to bring their guns to the courthouse and are showing it by taking so long. As I was standing there the first time the first officer came and looked at me, then turned around and came back about 10 min later. Eventhough they took so long, they were very nice to me

When I was leaving I thought "WOW did they forget I was waiting for my weapons?" and I felt like asking he lady if she couldplease call them again?

joeroket

imported post

This is why I like the Sno County Courthouse. They have lockers right inside the doors. You are only held up for as long as it takes to take off and put on the holster.

heresolong

imported post

City of Blaine you just check it with the receptionist. Used to be you had to take it next door to the PD but I went to a city council meeting and the officer on duty had a call during the meeting. I couldn't get my pistol back til the next day. I was very annoyed and had a long exchange with the city manager. He finally agreed that the PD next door was not "in the same building" as the courtroom and made arrangements.

Whatcom County has lock boxes just inside the door. You ask the receptionist for a key and she takes your DL as security.

Not sure what City of Bellingham does as I have not been in there in years.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

YeahI just stood there, I was in no rush anyway.

But all I did wasgo there and talk to the clerk, went to the library and filled out some paper work then turned it in, and got finger printed. Andwaited and waited for the officer to take/give my guns. This thing took so long that when I got home my wife asked me "are you out cheating on me?". You have been gone for HOURS, all you went to do was go to the courthouse?... I was like the majority of the time was spent dealing with my guns, then she asked me the same thing later that night.

compmanio365

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:

But all I did wasgo there and talk to the clerk, went to the library and filled out some paper work then turned it in, and got finger printed. Andwaited and waited for the officer to take/give my guns. This thing took so long that when I got home my wife asked me "are you out cheating on me?". You have been gone for HOURS, all you went to do was go to the courthouse?... I was like the majority of the time was spent dealing with my guns, then she asked me the same thing later that night.

I hope she was joking! :lol:

I would have said something after 10 minutes......30 is way too long to wait for that.

dlnwoody

imported post

When I was their they didn't talk long to get my gun. When it was time for them to give it back it took a while. he person at the door called when I got to her. She after about 10 to 15min the person at the door saw that i was still waiting so she went to get the officer.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

I hope she was joking! :lol:

I would have said something after 10 minutes......30 is way too long to wait for that.
She is not think my trip would take so long. But I keep telling her she is crazy.:)

I am not sure why they took their time to get to me. But I have to go back there for court about that expungement and then I will see how long it takes.

kenshin

imported post

I was just there a at the courthouse a few weeks ago to file an information request. I waited about 15 mins. each way. Just long enough to be annoyed at the wait but not quite long enough to say anything.