• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to NC

SFCAdamsYG

imported post

Hi everyone. I am going to be travelling to NC for vacation in November. I was wondering if anyone had any advise for carry there. Also, how does carry in a vehicle work in NC? Thank you for your time!

SFC Adams

swoolard

imported post

Enjoy your stay here, I'll give you a quick rundown and someone please fill in if I've missed something.

We have a state law known as "going armed to the terror of the people."

Basically, that means that if someone feels threatened by your presence (with a gun), then you could be apprehended -- notice I did not say arrested/charged.

This is very rare and the cops are usually aware that people are allowed to carry openly. If not, they definitely will be if the magistrate has to take time out of his busy day to educate a rookie.

As for carrying in your car, keep it in view. In view means that if an officer approaches your vehicle, it is very, very easy for him to see it. The best place for that is usually the passenger seat. It doesn't matter if it's loaded or not -- I keep it in ready on the passenger seat and I've been through a few license checks with no problems.

If your gun is not safely carried in ready, do not put it on the passenger seat that way. If it slides off and hits the floor and goes bang, it's likely to cause an accident.

If you have leather seats, I'd suggest using a rubber mat that will hold the gun in place and keep it from sliding.

I say this because people in NC can't drive for @#$%. You will be slamming on brakes, you will very likely have to swerve once or twice.

Putting it in a box on the passenger seat is considered concealed. Putting it on a box in the trunk is not. Putting it in a lockable glove box is also a concealed no-no--that depends on the judge--so just avoid it.

Some people on this forum say that it's OK to carry in your holster as long as you inform the officer BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING ELSE.

I say this because if you get nervous and forget and go reaching for your wallet that you keep in the same vicinity of your firearm, you're going to be staring down the barrel of a .45 faster than you can blink--our state troopers don't mess around.

I occasionally keep it in the holster because I'm slim enough to draw my weapon while I have the seat belt on. But because I have never been through a checkpoint or been approached by an officer while doing so, I won't put you at risk by saying it's OK.

RayBurton72

imported post

+1 to most of he previous comment, but a couple of clarifications:

Technically, the act of simply OC'ing is NOT going armed to the terror of the public, BUT, if you are acting in an agressive, and you are carrying, then you CAN be charged with that (and it will likely stick).

There are a few cities which have display ban that prevent or restrict OC. Cary and Chapel Hill are the two most well-known for this.

As mentioned, in a locked glove box is a an iffy-proposition on whether it is concealed or not, but I routinely do that (just make sure you do not have an xtra set of keys to the glove box on you (i.e. not in the ignition).

If you CC, be aware, we have a notification law that says you MUST inom an LEO that you are a CHP holder and are/or are not armed at FIRST CONTACT. IF OC'ing in a car, best advice is to immediately notify.

You cannot carry in the following places (OC or CC):

ANY EDUCATION PROPERTY – A CLASS 1 FELONY This includes: school buildings, school bus, campus, grounds, recreational area, athletic fields or any property owned, used, or operated by any board of education of school board of trustees…

This includes public and private schools, but NOT Home Schools (NC GS 14‑269.2.)

Assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (NC GS 14‑269.3)

StateCapitol Building (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.

Executive Mansion (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.

Western Residence of the Governor (and Grounds) NC GS 14‑269.4.

Any of the General Court of Justice (If a court is housed in a buildingcontaining nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes) NC GS 14‑269.4.

Parades NC GS 14‑277.2.

[align=left]Funeral processions NC GS 14‑277.2.[/align]

[align=left]Picket lines NC GS 14‑277.2.[/align]

[align=left]Demonstration on private health care facility or on any public place owned or under the control of any state or local government NC GS 14‑277.2.[/align]

[align=left]During any Declared State of Emergency or in the immediate vicinity of a riot (off of one’s own premises. NC GS 14-288.7

Enjoy the Carolinas

[/align]

speeddemon40

imported post

Wow just posted this question on another forum, so I don't want to repeat this question, but also don't want to hijack this thread.

In NC you can't CC in the car?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

speeddemon40 wrote:
Wow just posted this question on another forum, so I don't want to repeat this question, but also don't want to hijack this thread.

If you have a permit, you may. Since I presume you have a Pennsylvania license to carry firearms, you may CC in your vehicle in North Carolina since PA & NC have reciprocity. Just remember that NC has a lot of off-limits places.

speeddemon40

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
speeddemon40 wrote:

If you have a permit, you may. Since I presume you have a Pennsylvania license to carry firearms, you may CC in your vehicle in North Carolina since PA & NC have reciprocity. Just remember that NC has a lot of off-limits places.

My bad, I forgot to fill out my profile info. What made you think I was from Pennsylvania?

Thanks for the info though. I do have a GA FL

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

speeddemon40 wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
speeddemon40 wrote:

My bad, I forgot to fill out my profile info. What made you think I was from Pennsylvania?

Thanks for the info though. I do have a GA FL
I was referring to the OP. Oops. GA & NC also have reciprocity, so you too would be fine.