• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NPR Compares PA Soccer Mom to Sarah Palin

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95026123

Permit Revoked For Pistol-Packing Soccer Mom

Listen Now [27 sec] add to playlist

Morning Edition, September 25, 2008 · Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin became famous as a hockey mom who knew how to shoot. She could probably trade stories with a woman in Lebanon, Pa., Meleanie Hain had a permit to carry a concealed weapon. But she allegedly had it in plain sight at her daughter's soccer games. Other parents complained, and officials revoked her permit. We do not have word if the referees at her daughter's games were especially careful.

mvpel

imported post

If I were her, I'd sue NPR for slander for implying with the crack about the referees that she would shoot them for a bad call.

Typical leftist psychological projection, it's true, but it's inexcusable that my tax dollars should subsidize it.

mkl

imported post

mvpel wrote:
If I were her, I'd sue NPR for slander for implying with the crack about the referees that she would shoot them for a bad call.

"We do not have word if the referees at her daughter's games were especially careful."

You'd sue them for that? Wow. It's a joke. Maybe not a really funny one, but they probably don't have comedians writing at NPR.
If a pro-gun person had made that crack no one would care. I see posts with that type of humor on this and other gun boards all the time.

Prophet

imported post

mkl wrote:
mvpel wrote:

"We do not have word if the referees at her daughter's games were especially careful."

You'd sue them for that? Wow. It's a joke. Maybe not a really funny one, but they probably don't have comedians writing at NPR.
If a pro-gun person had made that crack no one would care. I see posts with that type of humor on this and other gun boards all the time.

I'd agree with MKL. What are we, a bunch of sue craving hacks like most of the far left? Has our skin become so thin that we can't even take a crack in stride and maybe even get a little chuckle out of it? Let's sue against gun confiscations...against oppressive gun control...against cops roughing up OC'ers instead of getting your panties in a bunch over a rather tepid joke by NPR which I even got a little chuckle out of. TOUGHEN UP

mvpel

imported post

That kind of crack is symptomatic of the same sort of attitude that the Sheriff displayed in his revocation of her license, the bigoted stereotype that anyone who wants to carry a gun for self-defense is mentally unbalanced and somehow dangerous to others. But the Sheriff is not broadcasting his anti-gun drivel nationwide.

mkl

imported post

mvpel wrote:
That kind of crack is symptomatic of the same sort of attitude that the Sheriff displayed in his revocation of her license, the bigoted stereotype that anyone who wants to carry a gun for self-defense is mentally unbalanced and somehow dangerous to others.  But the Sheriff is not broadcasting his anti-gun drivel nationwide.

I can see where you are coming from. Personally I think the NPR short clip I saw was pretty good. They could have explicitly said that OC was legal, but other than that it sounded pretty fair to me. I tend to think NPR is pretty fair on the issues, but I understand they are seen to be "liberal" to most people. If I saw that same short copy in an NRA magazine, I would have the same criticism.