• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry (of a long gun) saved me during Hurricane Ike (Houston, TX)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow, as if you needed any more stress and intensity than the hurricane was already giving. Glad you were on your toes, armed, and level headed to stop the threat. If you had not been as aware or prepared you would likely have had to use lethal force in both instances. It was your preparedness, physical and mental, that saved both you and those 2 perps, from an entirely different outcome. Good job!

tico

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thanks!

I'll have to say, at the time, I certainly didn't feel very calm-headed at all -- I was totally freaking out. Also, hindsight is 20-20, but at the instant of the attack there was only time to react, not calmly contemplate the sanest course of action.

So, while I'm very glad things worked out as well as they did, it would have been very easy for them to have ended terribly. As a result, I've started taking classes in Krav Maga to work on my instinctual reactions and condition myself to be able to respond to an attack in an instant without having to be on-edge at all times. (And I've also decided to carry 100% of the time except where it's just not possible/legal.)

Cheers!
-Tico

FiremanJoe

imported post

Read the original post wow...good call.

Wrll a couple days later Hurricane Ike came and threw our area into darkness. with over 90 percent of DUKE energy customers in the darl, 1.2 million people with out power in Cincinnati and surrounding counties...

Sonn as darkness fell on Sunday night we knew we were in for a long haul, I retrieved the other pistol and armed my housemate (a 24 yo cousin who has gone shooting with me and is comfy with weapons) and told him to carry openly if he takes dog for walk, or whatever. well apparently the having a weapon was a good call, he heard the front door rattle at 330 am... Condition RED, I was out babysitting another place. But open carrying was well received, even a popo that noticed didnt say anything.,

Well he has been OC'in it since... a few nights ago some cars were broke into he woke to the car alarms and called 911 and watched the perps, atttempt another car and front doors, had they tried our door, the po po would have arrived to find two bg on the ground being detained I am sure..

MetalChris

imported post

FiremanJoe wrote:
Read the original post wow...good call.

Wrll a couple days later Hurricane Ike came and threw our area into darkness. with over 90 percent of DUKE energy customers in the darl, 1.2 million people with out power in Cincinnati and surrounding counties...

Sonn as darkness fell on Sunday night we knew we were in for a long haul, I retrieved the other pistol and armed my housemate (a 24 yo cousin who has gone shooting with me and is comfy with weapons) and told him to carry openly if he takes dog for walk, or whatever. well apparently the having a weapon was a good call, he heard the front door rattle at 330 am... Condition RED, I was out babysitting another place. But open carrying was well received, even a popo that noticed didnt say anything.,

Well he has been OC'in it since... a few nights ago some cars were broke into he woke to the car alarms and called 911 and watched the perps, atttempt another car and front doors, had they tried our door, the po po would have arrived to find two bg on the ground being detained I am sure..
I was working nights when the remnants of Ike came through Ohio...didn't like leaving my wife and kids at home alone in the dark. Fortunately we got our power back after only 2 and a half days...

tico

Founder's Club Member
imported post

yikes! glad you guys made it through the storm without injury.

I tell ya, I think this storm has been a wake-up call for a lot of people.