• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield EMP for CC or OC ?

daddyman

imported post

My lovely bride has developed a fascination for the Springfield EMP 9mm. Is this a gun I would want to trust her defense too? I have read mixed reviews by regular folks. Also can she carry this CC too? Her job has her writing tow away tickets and such.......

sirpuma

imported post

My wife carries the XD 40 Subcompact. Springfield is tried and true with a great line of pistols. The 1911 type of firearm is a reliable design, having been rode hard and tested through many wars and competitions. The EMP is a 1911 design, but shrunk for 9mm and .40S&W. Being that it's got a 3" barrel only means she's not going to shoot a 2" group at 50 yards. The 9mm is a great round with about as much destructive force as a .45, but in a more compact form. I read a couple reviews of the EMP and they were both positive

I would not hesitate to trust my life to the EMP. The majority of personal defense situations that involve a firearm are in less than 10 feet. Not to mention that it's one sleek sexy pistol. If you want to be sure of it, take it to the range and put it through it's paces. Shoot at 15' or less, rapid fire, quick reloading, use both ball and HP ammo. After putting 100 rounds through it, if it doesn't have a FTF or FTE you can trust it. Then give it a good cleaning and lube. Remember to treat them with TLC, but also remember that they are a tool and as with all tools, you get better with practice.

Marcus

David.Car

imported post

As long as it always goes boom when you pull the trigger it doesn't matter what brand or model it is.

A lot of the SD 9mm ammo is still amazingly destructive even in comparison with other calibers. 124gr +p Speer Dot is fantastic stuff.

arms_libertas

imported post

I have an EMP .40 for CC. I had to send it back to Springfield for recurring FTE and thefiring pin getting lodged forward. I couldn't get through a magazine without 4 FTE's and the firing pin problem was just bizarre,even after an extensive cleaning the firearm acted the same way so I sent it back into Springfield. According to the discussion in the link below the EMP's had feed ramp problems in the beginning but anything with a serial number above 2000 should be fine (That might be just for the 9mm's). Here is a good discussion about the EMP:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=225870&page=5

However, that being said I just got it back and it shoots like a dream.Springfield polished the ramp and tuned the extractor (since it was there I paid to have an action job on it too). I found the article above after I sent it in and might have been able to remedy the problems myself so you might be able to do the same.

When I took it to the range I had one FTE and that was because of an ammunition defect. I'm going to be putting a lot of rounds through it to get it well broken in before I go to a FAS course in October so if I have any other issues I'll post them here.

heresolong

imported post

Nosrac wrote:
Ranger T's are nice too ifn you can find em easily.
Although not sold to the general public and generally serial numbers are recorded on issue. I wouldn't be caught with these. There is no penalty to you but there is to the officer who gave them to you.

David.Car

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Although not sold to the general public and generally serial numbers are recorded on issue. I wouldn't be caught with these. There is no penalty to you but there is to the officer who gave them to you.
Whoever told you that is a dirty dirty liar.

Nosrac

imported post

You can get it easily online and many ammo sites.

The only blurb I could find on it was this:

"The ammo is restricted by Winchester to Law Enforcement sales only. This is Winchester rules not the law. Bullet features include: Reverse Taper Jacket Design Consistent, Reliable Bullet Expansion Through Common Barrier Test Events Excellent Accuracy Positive Functioning. "

just_a_car

imported post

David.Car wrote:
heresolong wrote:
+1.

I use Ranger SXT 165gr .40S&W as my daily carry.

Bought it from a dealer on GlockTalk.

scilence

imported post

I like the EMP, but it would be a dishonor to my most loved CC piece if I did not mention the Springfield 45 Micro. I have enjoyed this as a CC piece and rely on the fact I have never had a problem with the pistol from day one.

It is a double stack design with a 3.5 inch barrel so it is roughly the same size. After taking it out to the range the first time around I was able to throw lead as acturatly as my buddy who has a Commander 1911.

The Micro 45 is about as big and only a tad more expensive, check it out!

sirpuma

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
David.Car wrote:
heresolong wrote:
+1.

From this thread on another board, there is a difference between Ranger T and Ranger SXT.

http://californiaccw.org/posts/list/803.page
You have to be careful because its easy to confuse Ranger SXT with Ranger-T as both are commonly referred to as "Ranger SXT." and both boxes say "Ranger SXT" on them. The only way to distinguish one box from the other is the product code. For example, in 9mm there is Ranger SXT (RA9SXT) and there is Ranger-T (RA9T). RA9T is the current production and one you want.

FE427TP

imported post

Maybe in heresolongs area their LEO management drank the hoplophobe koolaid and really will punish an officer for distributing this ammo, here's a side by side i did this afternoon shot into milk jugs full of water from my HK p7 Left hand side is Winchester Ranger 127gr SXT +p+ RA9TA right is Speer 115gr Gold Dot all images are the same two bullets. Sadly the Federal LEO only marked 115gr Hi-Shok +P+ and CorBon 125gr +P JHP were unrecoverable since too much water was lost from the first two rounds
RangerGolddot.jpg

NWGirl

imported post

daddyman wrote:
My lovely bride has developed a fascination for the Springfield EMP 9mm. Is this a gun I would want to trust her defense too? I have read mixed reviews by regular folks. Also can she carry this CC too? Her job has her writing tow away tickets and such.......

This is what I carry and I do trust my life to it. It fits my hand where most double stacks are just too big. It's also easier to conceal for me too with it's slimmer profile. When my DH puts a gun on his hip it disappears somehow. For me it's a process of adjusting and shifting depending on which shirt I'm wearing. I also have a Sig 229 which is just on the big side for my hand and it's much fatter than the EMP so unless I want to switch to mumu's or something I can't hide it very well. :(I'd love to try a Micro but until I find one to check out local I will and do trust my EMP. I carry back up mags and I practice regularly just in case though. :)

Oh, and I've had it for several months and not had one issue with it. It has shot flawlessly for me every time (and I'm still fairly new to this.)

just_a_car

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
David.Car wrote:
heresolong wrote:
+1.

From this thread on another board, there is a difference between Ranger T and Ranger SXT.

http://californiaccw.org/posts/list/803.page
You have to be careful because its easy to confuse Ranger SXT with Ranger-T as both are commonly referred to as "Ranger SXT." and both boxes say "Ranger SXT" on them. The only way to distinguish one box from the other is the product code. For example, in 9mm there is Ranger SXT (RA9SXT) and there is Ranger-T (RA9T). RA9T is the current production and one you want.
No worries, this is the good stuff: P/N RA40TA (the 165 gr)

If you want the 180 grain, it's P/N RA40T

;-)

David.Car

imported post

And check out gunbroker.com. You can find some truely great deals on ammo on gunbroker.

I picked up 250 rounds of 124gr +p Speer Dot delivered to my door for 95 bucks. Less than half the price of what I could get it for locally.

NWGirl

imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
What's the diffs between the EMP and Micro? A couple rounds and a couple ounces?
Caliber size (EMP only comes in 9mm or .40 cal. Micro comes in .45) Because the Mirco comes in .45 the grip is a bit fatter which could effect whether it fits my smaller hands or not. EMP's ramp and 14 other parts were completely redesigned for the smaller caliber (9mm) making it feed more reliably. It's not just a chopped down version of a bigger gun. It will shoot +P's too btw.