• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Planning Get Togethers

warlockmatized

imported post

Once again i find myself reading some confusion in the thought process regarding getting together. It is very simple folks, just realize a few things. The first thing to keep in mind is that there is NO higher power that makes all the decisions. Second....You want to have a get together in your home town just for the sake of meeting like minded people or in a town where someone has been met with resistance for lawful open carry? GO FOR IT. Third....there are no "rules" or for that matter an approval "committee". It takes one person with the desire to educate or simply exercise his/her rights to kick it off.

Ok, so you have already told yourself "man i would love to have a picnic at the park on the corner of my street". Below are some simple "suggestions" for a successful gathering.

1. Investigate the place you wish us to gather at. Check for all the things you feel are necessary for the comfort of the attendees. Restrooms, tables/chairs, trash cans, etc etc. Note locations of things like restrooms. Will they be close by to "the spot" or are they down a ways from where we will be hanging out? What about grilling? Find out if it is allowed OR if prepared food needs to be brought. If anything is missing and attendees need to bring it (like lawn chairs, camp tables) include it in your description once you decide to post your get together idea. If the place meets all your criteria great. If not keep looking until you find one that does. Posted links, maps, directions to the "area' will also help people decide if they want/can attend.

2. Spot picked, now you just need a date and time. Sit down with your significant other, kids, what have you, with a calendar and pick SEVERAL dates that will not conflict with anything you may have scheduled in your personal life. Keep in mind (goes without saying but i will anyways), Saturdays and Sundays work best.

3. Get all your info together and get ready to post your idea for others to consider. Keep in mind that..........YOU are the person in charge. You will be the one to post your idea for a get together. YOU will be the person updating things in the ORIGINAL POST such as.....Confirmed and possible attendees. An items list of things needed as well as the things confirmed attendees have agreed to bring. YOU will have to make updates and changes as things progress.

4. Post. Take all the information you have put together and post away. IF there is genuine interest for people to attend they will post stating the dates they are available. Once the date and time is locked down, they will almost always start volunteering to bring things from the posted list of items. At this point it pretty much takes care of itself. Just keep an eye on the thread. Do the necessary updates to the original post. Once the day arrives enjoy exercising your rights with like minded people.

Some might say to alert the local PD of your intentions (NOT asking for permission) or even the media. I would leave that up to the opinions of the people replying to the thread. I have also included a "suggestion" for the thread layout. Hope i have helped clear the confusion and also STOPPED the pm's asking "how do i do this"?

Also keep in mind these are JUST "suggestions" for an "outdoor" meeting. Obviously things would vary if we were to gather indoors...IE a restaurant.

(ps: caps used as amphasis NOT yelling. Also if i have left anything out PM me and i will update the thread)

GET TOGETHER INFO
Where:

Date:

Time:

Map:

Supply List

Grill -
Dogs/Buns -
Brats/Buns -
Burgers/Buns -
Potato Salad -
A Dessert -

Chips -

Condiments -

Cooler -
Ice -
Water -

Pop -
Napkins/P-Towells -
Paper Plates -
Plastic Ware -

Video Camera/Camera -
Signs -

Paper handouts -

Confirmed Attendees

Possible attendees

warlockmatized

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Once again Ron, most excellent idea/post. This should make it very clear how to have a meet. Well done.:celebrate
Thank you. Not looking for fame or glory just trying to help end some of the BS that surrounds the issue. Wish we could get it stickied.

agent69

imported post

ok so im new. no realy i just made this account.

i got a bersa thunder .380 at a gun show this weekend. and today i saw a video on youtube about an open carry picnic. i thought it was kinda cool.

can someone in the south east michigan area explain this whole thing to me?

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Really nothing more to explain. You found the site. Also a newbie to the open carry crowd. I would suggest to spend a couple of days ,weeks reading ALL or as much information as you can that is posted here in the forum.

Once you have read most of everything read it again as whatever question you may have will mostly have been previously answered in one of the topics.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

RedNeck_Hunter06 wrote:
when is the next get together closest to sanilac county michigan

Welcome to OCDO RedNeck_Hunter.

The closest event we had nearyour locationwas an MOC event last August at Cramton Park (at M-21 & M-24) in Lapeer, we may have anotherone there this year. (See the Michigan Events Schedule Thread)

You can also form your own group (family, friends, neighbors, etc) in your area and pick a location to hold an MOC event. Decide on a time and location and I'll post it in the Events Thread. Check the previous and upcoming events in the Events Thread for examples of where and howto haveone.

SlowDog

imported post

Since I am fairly new....FNG!! I am wondering when the next outing is because I would love to go. If I am home since I travel all over US but with a little notice I will go to the next one.....can someone just pm me with the next one?
:celebrate

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SlowDog wrote:
Since I am fairly new....FNG!! I am wondering when the next outing is because I would love to go. If I am home since I travel all over US but with a little notice I will go to the next one.....can someone just pm me with the next one?
:celebrate
Check the events thread. It lists upcoming outings.