• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in portage valparaiso area

Unoid

imported post

None in portage I've been there maybe 10 times OCing.
valpo none only a few times.

Why worry about problems. know your laws and understand you may at any tiem anywhere have a leo question you.

You'll be fine.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I live a bit north of there, in Michigan City...

I have had no problems, whether it be at the movies, Wal-mart, Taco Bell, the bank, or any of the other places I carry.

I think, as a general rule, Indiana is one of those places where people are used to guns.

I really don't see any stories of anyone getting much hassle in Indiana.

bhughesiii2187

imported post

MY friends and I had some trouble with CCing before in Valpo. We were waiting for my girlfriend at the time to get off work. Now it was winter and we all wore long coats.. We were reported to the police as "looking suspicious". Man you should have heard these cops when they were going through our hardware.. Keep in mind we were new to carrying so we knew not of all of our rights at the time. One cop esclaimed quite loudly "This guy has two extra magazines!!" My buddy was carrying his Kimber 1911 in a shoulder rig with two mags on the opposite side for balance. Makes me laugh everytime I think about it.

*EDIT * My buddy had his SIG P229 with two spare mags. My other buddy had throwing knives. He told the cops they were good exercise...

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bhughesiii2187 wrote:
MY friends and I had some trouble with CCing before in Valpo. We were waiting for my girlfriend at the time to get off work. Now it was winter and we all wore long coats.. We were reported to the police as "looking suspicious". Man you should have heard these cops when they were going through our hardware.. Keep in mind we were new to carrying so we knew not of all of our rights at the time. One cop esclaimed quite loudly "This guy has two extra magazines!!" My buddy was carrying his Kimber 1911 in a shoulder rig with two mags on the opposite side for balance. Makes me laugh everytime I think about it.
Get ready for a deluge of: "Why did they go through your hardware? Why did you consent to a search?"

No one will read the part about how you did not know your rights.

Prometheus

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:

Get ready for a deluge of: "Why did they go through your hardware? Why did you consent to a search?"

No one will read the part about how you did not know your rights.
You obviously don't pay attention to the reasons 'we' try and educate people about their Rights and when they don't have to consent to certain things.

In any event, had the police gotten reports of suspicious persons and bhuges and his friend fit that description, some interviewing and possible the infamous 'terry stop' (which I rarely support) might have been warranted. Wasn't there so I have no idea.

As to the topic, I've OC'ed in Valpo before. Never an issue.

bhughesiii2187

imported post

I think they were just bored and really wanted to harass someone.. One officer kept saying "Call me kooky, but I think you boys are out here to cause some trouble"