• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shots Fired

echo6tango

imported post

I had to work late this evening for a bit of network maintenance. Not a big deal, that’s the IT field for ya. Anyways, as I’m leaving Arlington around 7:40PM, I figure at least I don’t have to worry about traffic, just the drizzling rain on the way home to Maryland. I make it across the 14th Street Bridge, through the city across the East-West freeway while watching either the Park Police helo or the MPD helo flying around downtown with its spotlight looking for something or somebody. I don’t give it much thought. As I cross the Anacostia bridges, I hear sirens from many vehicles and I hope it’s not an accident on my route home.

As I merge onto I-295 South, traffic comes to a dead stop. Super, an accident on 295. As I’m sitting in three lanes of stopped traffic, police cars in groups of 2, 3, and 4 from both Prince George’s County and D.C. police start weaving through the lanes of stopped traffic with lights and sirens. I drive this route every weekday and I’ve seen lots of accidents…but never with this kind of police response. Within a couple of minutes creeping along an inch at a time, I count somewhere around 30 to 35 marked and unmarked police cars. At this point, I’m pretty sure it’s not just an accident.

As I’m turning the radio to WTOP 103.5 for a traffic report, I hear something over the drizzling rain that sounded like a car back firing, but much sharper. I roll down the window a bit and look towards the direction of the noise. Then I hear it 7 to 8 more times in quick succession and realize its gunfire (no doubt in my military mind). Someone decided to have a shoot out within 20 – 30 feet of my truck, in the dark, with me sandwiched in the middle lane of three lanes of stopped traffic. I know the difference between rounds fired far off and rounds fired close. After verbally telling myself to duck, I suddenly realize that I have no where to go and nothing more than a 6-cell Mag Light to protect myself. All this while there are cops every-freaking-where.

Within a couple of minutes, traffic is crawling, all being directed from three lanes to a single lane to exit I-295, right into Southeast D.C. As I’m crawling down the exit ramp in my now very vulnerable feeling Tacoma, there are D.C. police cars in groups of two or more driving up and down the surface streets shining their spot beams into trees, bushes, down alleys, etc.

Now I’m driving the side streets of Southeast D.C. in the dark trying to get home. After about 30 minutes, with my wife guiding me over the phone from Google maps at home, I make it to 210 South. By the way, Southeast D.C. at night…not where you wanna learn new commuting routes!

The whole situation from beginning to end…I’ve never felt so incredibly vulnerable and completely helpless...and now, sitting here typing this...I'm just freaking pissed at being in a position to just sit andhope Idon'teat a bullet.No where to run, no where to hide, no means to stand my ground...just sit and hope. Now I know how D.C. residents feel every single day of their lives.

By the way, the entire way home, WTOP radio kept reporting that there was “merely” an accident on I-295. Ummmm, 30 to 35 police cruisers do not respond to a traffic accident with gunfire playing the background.

Virginian683

imported post

Have you ever considered using the Metro (subway)? One good thing about the DC area is it's one of the few places in the United States with a decent mass transit system. Even if it doesn't go to your town, you could park at the station in Maryland and ride it to Arlington -- thereby avoiding the hell known as DC highways.

The Metro may not be the height of safety either, but at least you have freedom of movement in a shitty scenario. And you'll never be stuck in traffic.

Also consider carrying a knife. At contact distance a knife is just as good as a gun if you know how to use it.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

But for odd hour IT service calls, a closed metro is not reliable either.
I've seen enough redskins statium fans stranded when the 'will be open' metro closed anyways.

There is no solution, except go south 395, and over 495 to maryland, at that hour the
express lane should be southbound, and then you can also be armed.

That is the only time I ever rode withoput a helmet, was dieing in the heat when
I remembered no helmet law, till I reached Va border.
But I don't miss the traffic or the taxes, you can keep the nations capital up there
or move it overseas. I do miss the open carry in VA. but not enough to move back.

I wonder, did they suspend the manditory car search over on 'drug ally'
around 26th ave. been a while, but had a ball driving the police nuts for that search
when I got lost in SE. ps they never found the 'open' fifth of seagrams 7.
Which means if I had a small baggy of dope they would never have found it either.
Really sets me at ease with the efficiency they apply to the job.
Guess they go by the spaced attitude more than anything else.

Do you have problem with condinsation going from cold server rooms to
the hot outside air on your pistols. Maybe there is a reason for composit frames.

echo6tango

imported post

I don't consider the Metro an option for my commute. The majority of my commute is on MD 210, with the short remaining bit being on 295 and 395. Using the Metro would add 30 - 45 minutes, if not more, to my commute...plus the cost of Metro parking and Metro fare. Not to mention, the Metro stations that I would use are some of the most crime-ridden, dangerous stations on the entire system.

Good suggestion on the knife carry though. I carry a Spyderco clip knife 99% of the time...legal even in Maryland.

HungSquirrel

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
But for odd hour IT service calls, a closed metro is not reliable either.
If seen enough redskins statium fans stranded when the 'will be open' metro closed anyways.
Government efficiency for you.

Nice choice of distro, sir.

E6T, thanks for sharing your story.