Thread: Flap holsters

Post imported post

Hello all,

This is my first post. I would like to say first that I have done some open carrying before finding this site, and I am thrilled to find I am not alone.

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with open carrying with a flap holster. My younger brother at the moment only has a flap holster that he uses while hiking or backpacking. If he were to OC in town would he be considered violating the law?

Thanks

Post imported post

As long as he is over 18, I don't see what the problem would be. I would imagine that most people would still be able to deduct that it is a firearm in the pouch. Although for the city, it might not be the most efficient method, why not just buy another holster for the safe side?

Post imported post

I periodically use a flap holster for the 1911-A1... and the P-38. The Makarov is always in the E German (black) holster if I carry that off the property. It's kind'a obvious that it's a 'gun'... and not a cell phone by the shape. I've never had a problem with 'em... but this is AZ. I have a CCW anyway... but OC always.

Post imported post

Thanks for the input. I tend to agree that another holster would be the best option, but was still curious. One would have to be rather dense to not detect that it is a holstered pistol, but unfortunately not all laws have common sense in them. I know my brother is considering a serpa, maybe this info will expidite the purchase.

Post imported post

You could always write "GUN" in big block letterss... on a strip of masking tape and stick that on the flap. Fiero de Arme (I think) in Spanish... Pistole in German 'n 'Shootin' Arn' in Cowboy.

Post imported post

Ha!! I love that idea. Maybe a T-shirt that says "Yes, it is a holster, not some giant yuppie cell phone".