• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flap holsters

Don Quijote

imported post

Hello all,

This is my first post. I would like to say first that I have done some open carrying before finding this site, and I am thrilled to find I am not alone.

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with open carrying with a flap holster. My younger brother at the moment only has a flap holster that he uses while hiking or backpacking. If he were to OC in town would he be considered violating the law?

Thanks

BrianEMT

imported post

As long as he is over 18, I don't see what the problem would be. I would imagine that most people would still be able to deduct that it is a firearm in the pouch. Although for the city, it might not be the most efficient method, why not just buy another holster for the safe side?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I periodically use a flap holster for the 1911-A1... and the P-38. The Makarov is always in the E German (black) holster if I carry that off the property. It's kind'a obvious that it's a 'gun'... and not a cell phone by the shape. I've never had a problem with 'em... but this is AZ. I have a CCW anyway... but OC always.

Don Quijote

imported post

Thanks for the input. I tend to agree that another holster would be the best option, but was still curious. One would have to be rather dense to not detect that it is a holstered pistol, but unfortunately not all laws have common sense in them. I know my brother is considering a serpa, maybe this info will expidite the purchase.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You could always write "GUN" in big block letterss... on a strip of masking tape and stick that on the flap. Fiero de Arme (I think) in Spanish... Pistole in German 'n 'Shootin' Arn' in Cowboy. :)