• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self defense guideline card

M

mdgary

imported post

SELF DEFENSE GUIDELINE CARD

If you are involved in a shooting incident, the following steps should be taken but only after you are completely sure there is no longer a threat.

1. Secure the weapon the assailant used. Check yourself and bystanders for injuries. Make a complete check of the scene,however do not tamper with any evidence. If the person shot is no longer a threat try to help him. Do not talk to him or use abusive language. Do not touch the assailant if he appears to be dead. Do not let anyone else handle any evidence.

2. Call the police as soon as possible. Tell them shots have been fired and your location. Ask for emergency medical assistance. Do not discuss the details of the incident over the phone. Holster or secure your weapon so it is clearly not a threat to Police when they approach. Innocent people have been shot by Police because they appeared to be a threat when Officers first arrive. Try to spot them first and attract them to your position in a non-threatening manner. Initially Police may treat you as a suspect especially if you have a weapon. Do as you are told. Do not question or argue with them.

3. Call your lawyer. Make NO statements to Police or anyone else until your attorney is present. He should meet you at the scene if possible. Tell him exactly what happened and let him talk for you. Advise your attorney not to make statements to the press on your behalf beyond some basic comments on the need for a full investigation into all the facts. If you must meet Police by yourself, be sure NOT TO MAKE ANY STATEMENTS. Explain to Police politely, but firmly, you will make no statements until your attorney arrives. “Officer, I know you have a job to do, but I do not wish to make any statements in the absence of an attorney.” Remember, anything you say can, and will, be used against you.

4.When Paramedics arrive get medical treatment for shock for yourself and any other person involved whether physically injured or not.

5. STAY AWAY FROM THE NEWS MEDIA. Never talk or make any statement to them. Let your attorney make any statements for you. Remember, the news media have NO AUTHORITY! You do not have to talk to them!

6. Legal actions. You are justified in using lethal force if you “feared for your life” or that of another person. Do not apologize for defending yourself. Avoid statements such as “I am sorry I had to shoot”, “I regret the incident happened”. Such statements are equated with feelings of guilt. You are remorseful therefore your actions were inappropriate. Such statements can cost you later in a court of law.

7.Stress. Persons involved in shooting incidents face a great amount of stress. Psychological problems sometimes appear, and even physical ones such as sleeplessness, headaches, diarrhea and heart problems. These problems are common and affect even trained law enforcement officers. If you encounter any of these problems seek professional help.

Not to be used as legal advice ,But it is sound common sense.

(I am not a lawyer.)

I got this card with a holsterI ordered.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm just going to comment on
Secure the weapon the assailant used.
Unless you know all the intracacies of the law, you are most likely to be charged with tampering with evidence or some similar thing if you follow that bit of advice.

I know, and I think you all know as well, that the advice really means to ensure that the former assailant cannot regain possession of their weapon and resume their attack on you. But that is a lot different than "securing" the weapon may mean to the untrained reader of advice that comes with a holster.

I leave the rest of the "advice" to others to discuss, comment about, and critique. I'd end up writing a book on why there are problems with what is offered and how it is offered.

stay safe.

skidmark

LEO 229

imported post

Not a bad list....

Problem with the order....

If you are alone.... call 911 BEFORE giving help to a subject so they can be on the way while you try to help him.

Do not touch ANYTHING unless it is absolutely required. If the guy is dead... everything should stay as is.

If he is still moving.... moving his gun to a safe location may be required. DO NOT UNLOAD or ALTER the state of the gun it you do not have to.

Just my opinion...

M

mdgary

imported post

Would it be a good idea to go ahead and obtain a lawyer just in case you everneed oneto defend youafter lethal force is used to defend yourself?

I feel that if you already have a lawyer you would at least be prepaired on that end. Rather than shooting and don't knowany lawyerto call at that moment.

What do you think?

P.S. Bashing my question is not allowed. lol

FightingGlock19

imported post

I would change the order, somewhat, as well.

To hang around where a fight just happened, IMHO, is silly. I'm going to go to the last place I was before I started getting shot at, or before somebody tried to knife me, etc. If I have to turn myself in later, so be it.

If it is safe to remain on the scene, I will. I'll have to control the scene until the police show up.

In either event, I'll be placing a call to the local EOC letting them know, "there's been a shooting at <such and such address>, send an ambulance," then I'll hang the heck up!

Will I give aid to the badguy I just shot? For some, it's a tough question, and I don't think there are any wrong answers. I can honestly say I will not save somebody's life that just tried to take mine. They brought it on themself.

If the media wants pictures, fine, they can have as many as they want. There's no need to hide my face, I've done nothing wrong :)

TheMrMitch

imported post

Some good advice here. Just remember....you cannot shoot every time his muscles twitch.....use a bat.:lol:

Serious.......clam up and stay that way. Get away from the BG but watch closely.

AnaxImperator

imported post

catass wrote:
Will I give aid to the badguy I just shot? For some, it's a tough question, and I don't think there are any wrong answers. I can honestly say I will not save somebody's life that just tried to take mine. They brought it on themself.
Yup.

WARCHILD

imported post

Also in some states, rendering aid to the bg, if not trained in first aid; may get you sued later. Not all states have a good samaritan law to protect your efforts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Simple axiom: train for the best outcome, prepare for the worst.

Yata hey

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark wrote:
I'm just going to comment on
Secure the weapon the assailant used.
Unless you know all the intracacies of the law, you are most likely to be charged with tampering with evidence or some similar thing if you follow that bit of advice.

I know, and I think you all know as well, that the advice really means to ensure that the former assailant cannot regain possession of their weapon and resume their attack on you. But that is a lot different than "securing" the weapon may mean to the untrained reader of advice that comes with a holster.

I leave the rest of the "advice" to others to discuss, comment about, and critique. I'd end up writing a book on why there are problems with what is offered and how it is offered.

stay safe.

skidmark
To "secure" the weapon in this case is to get it out of reach of the BG, so he would have to move considerably or overpower you to recover it. This could be as simple as kicking it away from the BG movie-style, or pulling it towards you with your foot. Your safety trumps the integrity of the scene; the converse of that is that it should never be necessary to "clean up". Even if you pick up the BG's weapon and stick it in your belt, that's not evidence tampering. Actively try to wipe the blood off and you cross the line.

ODA 226

imported post

sorry for writing without caps. i had shoulder surgery yesterday and it hurts like heck! one hand typing here.

import item to add. when you call 911, tell the operator your name,that you were involved in a defensive shooting, that you are armed and give a specific description of yourself!!!!!

height, height, eyecolor, glasses and what you are wearing. The latter is most important.

once the threat is eliminated, and the cops are in sight, clear and lock your weapon to the rear and follow the nice officers instructions.

then, get ready to spend a lot of money on legal fees....:X