• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what is the best starting handgun age 13?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My guess is that most folks will tell you to start off with a .22 revolver. Instead of conventional wisdom, I'll suggerst you take the 13-year old to where they can try a lot of different types and calibers so both of you can find out 1) what is really "too much gun" for them,2) what they really like, and 3) what they can handle well.

As strange as it may seem, that is the same advice given in response to the question "What is the best handgun for <fill in the blank>."

Thanks for starting another one down the road of a lifetime of shooting happiness.

stay safe.

skidmark

AnaxImperator

imported post

gunsinaz wrote:
what is the best handgun to buyfor myself thata 13 year oldcan practice with until he's old enough to own it?
Gotta follow the law, y'know..... ;)

But skidmark is right; a .22 is a good starting point, or even a .32, if there's not many places for him to test-drive different calibers/models.

rodbender

imported post

Mine started with my S&W 4599MM at age 8. He loved it. He sent about 200 rounds down range that day.Said it felt like real power. He's 34 now and carries a 1911 .45 ACP, 10MM Glock, or a 44 Magnum. Make sure it fits his hand and it's not too much recoilfor him and he will love it.

SIGguy229

imported post

Depends on the size of the boy. My youngest has been shooting for two years (since 10 y/o), but the only gun that he could wrap hands around was a Walther P22--personally I would go for a Browning Buckmark, but he couldn't grip it.

Like everything else, what ever feels comfortable for him...and you (as a parent). FYI, "his" gun is kept in my safe (that he does NOT have a combination to).

KBCraig

imported post

My first inclination would be toward a Ruger, Browning, or S&W single-action .22 semi-auto, and not a double-action.

A light single-action trigger helps to reinforce the most basic safety rule (aside from muzzle discipline): keep your booger hook off the bang-switch!

A double-action trigger can reinforce the notion that it's okay to have your finger on the trigger, so long as you don't really apply pressure. Best to break that bad habit before it begins.

I suggest a .22 only because it's cheaper, and repetition is important to learning. If you want to go with a 9mm or .45 1911, there's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure that ammo cost and recoil wariness don't get in the way of the youngster learning proper grip, sight alignment, and focusing on the front sight.

thorvaldr

imported post

My 13 year old shoots my Taurus 92 (steel frame DA/SA 9MM) without any problems but if I were going to by a pistol specifically for him it would be a Ruger Mark III. Cheaper to shoot.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you're planning on shooting IPSC or IDPA with him he'll need at least a 9mm. My friend's daughter is 13 and she shoots a Kimber Aegis II 9mm 1911.

1st freedom

imported post

New shooters, regardless of age, should be started out with a 22. You want them concentrating on the fundamentals, notanticipating recoil.

If I have a large number (8-10) of students all shooting at the same time with a verity of calibers(22-38-9mm-40). I have them shoot a blank piece of paper so they can get the idea of "sight alignment".almost all students hit the center of the paper On the First Shot. On the second shot quite often the students with the larger calibers will hit low. while those with the 22's will hit center again.

Recoil anticipation can be frustrating for the student and Instructor to overcome. I believe thatgetting the fundamentals down first, then moving up in caliber is the way to go.

Just my 2cents,,

Legba

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
If you're planning on shooting IPSC or IDPA with him he'll need at least a 9mm. My friend's daughter is 13 and she shoots a Kimber Aegis II 9mm 1911.

Some of the IDPA chapters are pretty liberal about what handgun calibers are permitted, except for scored competitions/ranking purposes. If you're a visiting non-member, andjust want to blow stuff up for fun, they may let you use an out-of-spec gun and give you an unofficial score.

-ljp

ODA 226

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
That is a wonderful piece of shooting and this little girl sets the bar for all youngsters! She is an inspiration for all young shooters!

jeeper1

imported post

I would have thought someone would have said T/C contender.
The trigger is adjustable, different grip sizes are available, you can start with a 22 and increase the bore size as the child learns to handle the recoil. Also it can be converted to a rifle or shotgun when wanted.
With only one shot at a time the child will learn the value of accuracy rather than spray and pray.
And another advantage is the cost of ammo is lower.

MetalChris

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
That girl is the DEFINITION of awesome!

icode

imported post

Your 13 yo should be a sharpshooter by now, not just starting out :celebrateSeriously though, both of my boys 10 and 7 yo,shoot .40, 9mm, and .22 pistols. The recoil is fun for them BUT they really "shoot" the .22. By that I mean what others have alluded to. When they shoot the .22 they take their time, aim, and actually hit what they're aiming at. With the larger calibers they're just having fun. I guess what I'm saying is if it's to be "his" (which of course it's not) I would go with a .22. He'll be able to keep it for life and give it to his offspring. What a wonderful heirloom.