• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on OC in GA?

Greell

imported post

Hello,

I found this site and instantly added it to favorites, seems like a lot of good information and stories here!

I live in Alpharetta Georgia, and currently I have a CCW. However, In a discussion with a buddy of mine he was saying you can OC with a CCW......and I had heard from other sources that you need a CCW (obviously) only for concealing, but you need an entirely different license to OC your firearm (where legal)...

can anyone clarify this for me? I would greatly appreciate it, as I have this nice new holster that I have yet to use outside of my house because I haven't yet been able (or sure) if it was ok to OC with only having a CCW.

Greell

imported post

Yes I often mix up my states, it is a georgia GFL. I am glad to hear that, because that means I didn't waste money on that pretty holster!

also, good links, I am definiltly down to help our cause!

officerjdc

imported post

The other license that your friend was talking about is most likely the one issued to armed security personnelandprivate investigatorsby the Georgia Board of Private Detective and Security Agencies. That license allows the holder to carry anywhere a law enforcement officer can, but only while on duty. It also authorizes the holder to carry a weapon whiletraveling directlybetween home and place of employment, with no stops authorized while en route if the holder is armed.Uniformed security officers must carry openly with that license and may not wear their uniforms and carry a weapon in any public place while not on duty. I'm not sure about whether private investigators are allowed to conceal or not.

That is a totally different license than a GFL. The GFL is issued by the probate judge of each county in the stateto allow thecarry of a pistolfor personal defenseand is notintended to be usedfor employment in the private security or private investigations industry.

The two licenses are covered by two entirely different sections of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated.