• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just want to make sure I understand

bignflnut

imported post

I've always read that Ohio is Open Carry. However, I sat down with my sheriff recently and was told that I would likely be charged with disorderly conduct because I'd cause people to panic (by exercising my right).

Having said that, could someone please provide a link to the law that the OP'r (ameneza) could carry with them while in Ohio?

I'd like to send a copy to my local sheriff (as he's running for re-election).

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

2917.11 disorderly conduct and 2917.31 inducing panic require a crime to be committed. Open carrying and walking down the street is not illegal. This sheriff should be removed from office.

bignflnut

imported post

2917.11 Disorderly conduct.

(A) No person shall recklessly cause inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm to another by doing any of the following...5) Creating a condition that is physically offensive to persons or that presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property, by any act that serves no lawful and reasonable purpose of the offender.

Self defense would probably qualify as reasonable.

2917.31 Inducing panic.

(A) No person shall cause the evacuation of any public place, or otherwise cause serious public inconvenience or alarm, by doing any of the following:

(2) Threatening to commit any offense of violence;

(3) Committing any offense, with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission will cause serious public inconvenience or alarm.

No threat?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just caught this thread so hopefully the OP and the chap from Indiana read it in time. For the both of you, you may consider pursuing a Virginia CHP (concealed handgun permit) which is offered for non-residents and is given reciprocity by Ohio for both VA resident and non-resident permits (this won't buy you anything in MI or WV, but it works for OH). Virginia has about a half dozen different ways to meet your firearms training requirements including a firearms safety course taught by an NRA certified instructor or a hunter's education course which included safe handling of firearms. The maximum cost set by the state is $50 and the state has a maximum of 45 days from the receipt of the properly filled out application to approve your CHP. Since non-residents go through the VA State Police my hunch is that you'll have it long before. Mine which went through the local judge took about 2.5 weeks.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

amaenza

imported post

Thanks for the info jmelvin. I just checked this thread today and i don't think I'll have enough time to push the permit through (26 days to process and return it to me before I am on my way to ohio). It's my own fault really for waiting till the last minute to get my cch and look into reciprocity issues.

I don't think I will have any problems open carrying in Ohio while I am there. I'll just have to deal with the inconvenience of loading/unloading magazines when i travel.

I also have another question though. As stated earlier in this thread, it is not permitted to open carry in any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on site. However, what if you have the owners permission and you yourself are not drinking?

I have family that owns some clubs in the Cleveland area, and they sell alcohol. Will I be able to carry in the establishment as long as I am not drinking?

Also, is there a magazine capacity limit in ohio?

And as a follow up, the Ohio AG office responded to my request for information about the status of reciprocity between our states and i received the following canned response:

RE: CCW (OH)
Dear Constituent:
Thank you for your inquiry concerning concealed weapons reciprocity agreements between Ohio and Kansas. Unfortunately, no agreements between these states currently exist.
Please note that Ohio law requires the Attorney General to craft reciprocity agreements with other states to allow Ohioans with permits to carry weapons in those jurisdictions and for those states' citizens to carry weapons in Ohio. These agreements require an analysis of those other laws to ensure they meet the requirements of Ohio's concealed weapons law and vice versa (ORC 109.69). You may view the most up-to-date list at http://www.ag.state.oh.us/web_applications/concealcarry/reciprocity.asp.
If there is any state of interest not identified on this list, it would be for one of the following reasons:
· State in question has laws that vary significantly from those of Ohio, or;
· State has no interest in entering into such an agreement with the State of Ohio. (It is most advisable that anyone traveling through a state of questionability contact the Attorney General's office of that state prior to visiting the area.)
With respect to your concerns as associated with carrying firearms in a motor vehicle, Ohio Revised Code § 2923.16 (C) makes reference to non-CCW permit holders and states the following;
No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded and carried in one of the following ways:
· In a closed package, box or case;
· In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
· In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
· In plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot be easily stripped, in plain sight.

Ohio law states that you may not transport a loaded, concealed handgun in a vehicle unless you possess either an Ohio-issued CCW permit or one that is issued by a reciprocity state.
Should you wish to obtain further information on Ohio's Concealed Carry Laws you can visit our website at http://www.ag.state.oh.us .
Again, thank you for contacting our office. I hope that you find this information helpful.
Sincerely,

NANCY H. ROGERS
Attorney General of Ohio
James K. Parsons
Constituent Liaison
AG4OHIO Help Center

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You may actually have time. The following online course meets the requirements for the Virginia CHP, can be taken in the comfort of your own home and only cost $40 if you haven't met VA's obligations any other way. I'd give it a shot if I were you because VA as a whole is generally pretty quick to process CHPs (there is a legislated maximum of 45 days, but most take far less) and then you have it to pick up concealed carry recognition in a bunch of states.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Regarding carrying a firearm in places that serve alcohol, the answer is a flat NO! If I recall the penalty for carrying a firearm (and being caught of course) in any place that serves alcohol is a low level felony, which would kill your ability to own a firearm, vote ..... There might be exceptions for workers who have received permission from the owners, but that would be something you'd have to address with your family and verify that the exception exists.