• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone stopped or detained for OC?

TheMrMitch

imported post

Saw this elsewhere. Ever been challenged....stopped for OC? What did you do?

I was ....In 1973 by a Chief Of Police in New Haven, Ky.I informed him of my rights and after a few minutes of talk he backed down. We became friends.

Had a wreck once....1911 confiscated and given back. Couple more minor times....I came out good.

And you?:question:

FightingGlock19

imported post

I don't open carry :-\

During the times when Law Enforcement has been present, they never asked if I had a weapon, so I've never brought it up in conversation.

tito887

imported post

not yet. but I open carry in jefferson county so I guess it will be coming.

Statesman

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Saw this elsewhere. Ever been challenged....stopped for OC? What did you do?

I was ....In 1973 by a Chief Of Police in New Haven, Ky. I informed him of my rights and after a few minutes of talk he backed down. We became friends.

Had a wreck once....1911 confiscated and given back. Couple more minor times....I came out good.

And you?:question:

Perhaps they just wanted to handle your 1911? :lol:

I'll post my experiences as soon as I get a Kimber worth OCing, and a nice holster (Milt Sparks).

357SigFan

imported post

Dumb Question... Kentucky is a Gold Star Open Carry state, right? So doesn't that mean you WON'T have any issues OC'ing?

Wyoming

imported post

Went to Actor's Theater in Louisville last night. I CC during the performance, but on the way to the car I took my jacket off. I passed several people in the stairwell of the parking garage and on the way to the car - did not even glance at me. I figured I looked like I knew what I was doing, maybe an off duty LEO of some type. Light pants, shirt and tie and carrying a sport coat. Cell phone and holster on my belt.

D_Fence

imported post

Louisville....I've open carried on Bardstown Rd. in the Highlands. You'd be hard pressed to find a more liberal area in Kentucky. I had lunch at Ramsi's and had on a suit and tie. It was hot out so I took the coat off before I entered the restaurant. The server clearly noticed after a few visits to the table and she gave me a smile. I noticed the manager walking by, look at my waist, and smile. Nobody bothered me. Just the opposite. They probably figured I was LEO. A lot of folks in that area don't even know OC is legal, and only associate handguns with criminals and cops.

357SigFan

imported post

D_Fence wrote:
They probably figured I was LEO. A lot of folks in that area don't even know OC is legal, and only associate handguns with criminals and cops.
I think that's more or less the way it is everywhere... As long as you act like you are supposed to be carrying a firearm, and aren't actin shady, people tend to assume that you're a LEO and/or are supposed to be armed.

v8shoguy

imported post

Similar experience at Mark's Feed Store in the Highlands. I've even OC'd when there were LEOs present at that location. No reaction from anyone at all.

I did have an issue with a J-Town officer that didn't like that I kept my pistol on top of my insurance card in the glovebox. He kept asking why I had it there, I kept telling him that KRS states that it's not concealed if it's in the glovebox. He really wanted to know why I carried. He decided the stop was over before I could tell him "Because I can." :)

rscottie

imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
Similar experience at Mark's Feed Store in the Highlands. I've even OC'd when there were LEOs present at that location. No reaction from anyone at all.

I did have an issue with a J-Town officer that didn't like that I kept my pistol on top of my insurance card in the glovebox. He kept asking why I had it there, I kept telling him that KRS states that it's not concealed if it's in the glovebox. He really wanted to know why I carried. He decided the stop was over before I could tell him "Because I can." :)
I'm not familiar with the term J-Town. What town is that? Thanks.

Statesman

imported post

v8shoguy wrote:

I did have an issue with a J-Town officer that didn't like that I kept my pistol on top of my insurance card in the glovebox. He kept asking why I had it there,
Not only is the question "Why do you have a gun" seemingly irrelevant when it's legal for non-felons to own one, this seems to be a really stupid question for LEO to ask, IMHO. However, I think it's more geared toward finding out what kind of person you are by measuring your response.

My guess is this question seems likely to be asked by LEO that have "issues" with citizens OCing or CCing. I could be wrong. Here are the possible answers I could think of, and the subsequent label applied to your forehead for the duration of the stop:

Answer 1) So I can jack the foo who messes with me! (the street thug)
Answer 2) Because the 2nd ammendment still exists / It's my right to have it (the NRA / Bill of Rights activist)
Answer 3) Self protection (relevant only to a male; the overzealous fool who thinks
he needs a gun to protect himself)

Answer 4) Because I can! (the Smarta$$)

At the moment, I'm favoring "That's an irrelevant question to ask, officer. Am I being detained or am I free to go?".

I will reserve commenting on suggesting ways in which the information would be used to respond to "the situation".