• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Home Depot for OC!

urbanamish99

imported post

I had some errands to run this afternoon, and one stop I had to make was to pick up some bulbs at Home Depot. I was OC'ing the HK USP 45 in a Blackhawk Serpa. I noticed when I walked in that the employee who was trying to sign up people for store credit cards noticed the gun. I walked by him, picked up the bulbs I needed, then proceeded to the hardware section.

As I was picking up the last bit of hardware I needed, I saw two guys out of the corner of my eye, and heard one say to the other 'there he is', and they stopped briefly. I thought, 'here we go'. The employee from the entrance had summoned the manager, and brought him over to find me, now the manager is walking towards me, looking stern.

Manager: "Are you a cop?"
Me: "No, I'm not"
Manager: "Why are you carrying a weapon in my store?"
Me: "I always carry a gun when I'm out and about"
Manager: "Not in my store you don't! You must either leave now, or secure your weapon in your vehicle and continue shopping."
Me: "I'm done shopping, can I just check out, and leave?"
Manager: "Yes, you can go check out and leave. I assume you have a permit for that weapon?"
Me: "There is no permit needed in PA for an openly carried weapon"
Manager: "Yes there is! In PA you need to have a permit to carry a gun! You may not carry a gun in my store! Is that clear?"
Me: "Yes, fine"

I paid, and took my things to my truck, and stowed my HK in the truck. I decided to go back in to clear up a few questions I had for him. I met him inside, and asked him to clarify that it is Home Depot's policy not to allow any firearms in their stores. He stated that it was a nationwide policy, no guns, period, unless you're a cop. Not concealed, permitted, open, or otherwise. I tried to also inform if that he was wrong about PA laws, but he wouldn't hear it. I politely wrapped up the conversation, and went home.

I called corporate HQ, and asked for their policy regarding firearms in their stores. The helpful lady looked up the pertinent policy, and told me that corporate policy allows lawful carry of firearms by civilians in their stores. They don't restrict open carry, just stipulate that the carry must be lawful in that state / municipality. She gave me the document number to reference with the manager.

I called the store manager back, and informed him that he was mistaken about their corporate policy (he didn't take too kindly to that). He stammered around and said he would check it out, but that he wanted to make sure that I knew that I was not welcome to come back to 'his' Home Depot with a gun, concealed or otherwise. I asked if he would get back to me when he finds out more about the policy. He said he would.

An hour later, I get a call from the Home Depot, and its not the manager, but one of his people, Dennis. Dennis said that Mark, the manager, asked him to ask me to call Sam, regional Asset Protection Manager. He said that Mark & Sam had spoken, and that Sam would clarify the store's position to me.

As it turns out, Mark, the manager was wrong. Sam told me that Mark handled this wrong, he's sorry, he hopes I continue shopping at Home Depot with my legally carried weapon. Turns out Sam used to work at Cabela's, and is an LTCF holder, and general fan of guns. I had a great conversation with him and he assured me that I would have no trespassing violation despite what Mark told me. He recommended I carry concealed in the store, to avoid uneasy situations, however he stressed that all lawful carry is not against store policy. He assured me that I wouldn't have trouble with Mark in the future, he planned to speak again with Mark following our phone conversation.

I have two regrets - one I didn't have any Open Carry fliers to give to the manager, and two, that I was unable to get any of the policy in writing, it was all done over the phone.

imperialism2024

imported post

Nicely handled, though there's some debate as to whether you should have made the purchase, or just left the merchandise and gone home. No sense in giving money to a business that is kicking you out, no?

If you use this Home Depot a lot, it may be worthwhile to write to Home Depot to get them to send you a copy of their policy. It doesn't seem like they have their policies posted on their website...

imperialism2024

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
I would not have finished the purchase. Leave the merchandise in your basket and leave.They do not deserve your money.
But if you do that, make sure to send notice to management/corporate as to why you didn't make the purchase, and why you will no longer be shopping there.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

It seems like it worked out well enough in this case. Mark has learned about corporate policy as well as the limits of his authority. Urbanamish is able to carry in the store. Everybody comes out ahead.

Decoligny

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Right Wing Wacko wrote:
I would not have finished the purchase. Leave the merchandise in your basket and leave.They do not deserve your money.
But if you do that, make sure to send notice to management/corporate as to why you didn't make the purchase, and why you will no longer be shopping there.
Also let them know that you have been a regular customer and that you regularly spend upwards of $5,000 (or whatever you spend) a year at their store. Let them know that Lowe's (or whatever other store you will be using) will now be getting you business as they appreciate the customers right to a safe (gun friendly) shopping environment.

Decoligny

imported post

urbanamish99 wrote:
I called corporate HQ, and asked for their policy regarding firearms in their stores. The helpful lady looked up the pertinent policy, and told me that corporate policy allows lawful carry of firearms by civilians in their stores. They don't restrict open carry, just stipulate that the carry must be lawful in that state / municipality. She gave me the document number to reference with the manager.
Please pass along that document number so that the rest of us can be prepared in advance if asked to leave Home Despot.

jahwarrior

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
well, it's clearly not home depot's policy; it was one individual being asinine. i think he did the right thing by following up, and rubbing the manager's face in it. no reason to boycott a store when it's one man who being a know it all.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
Right Wing Wacko wrote:
well, it's clearly not home depot's policy; it was one individual being asinine. i think he did the right thing by following up, and rubbing the manager's face in it. no reason to boycott a store when it's one man who being a know it all.
Indeed. OC encounters are frequently learning opportunities for those involved. There's no need to use the big leverage when some re-education does the trick, as in the OP's situation.

Well-handled, in any case.

KBCraig

imported post

urbanamish99 wrote:
...I get a call from the Home Depot, and its not the manager, but one of his people, Dennis. Dennis said that Mark, the manager, asked him to ask me to call Sam, regional Asset Protection Manager. He said that Mark & Sam had spoken, and that Sam would clarify the store's position to me.

As it turns out, Mark, the manager was wrong. Sam told me that Mark handled this wrong, he's sorry, he hopes I continue shopping at Home Depot with my legally carried weapon.
So Dennis tells you to call Sam, and Sam tells you that Mark was wrong and apologizes. Nothing from Mark directly.

What a cowardly little bee-yotch.

Which is typical of the kind of bully that Mark appears to be.