• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotted man open carrying in Sportsman's Warehouse parking lot

machron1

imported post

Today I got a new belt holster at Sportsman's Warehouse (by 82nd and Johnson's Creek in Portland) to replace my generic one, and after I got in my car, I saw a man walking to the truck right next to me openly carrying a nice shiny pistol in a brown leather holster!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

I was fairly enthused, as this marked the very first time I'd seen anyone else in Portland openly carrying who wasn't a police officer. So, this may be anecdotal evidence that the movement is gaining ground! I almost got out and asked if he was a member here, but I was already playing with the new holster (I'm worse than a kid on Christmas...it's a really sweet holster by the way; A Serpa Blackhawk for my G27. The retention mechanism is awesome! So awesome, in fact, that the first time I tried it, I was more proficient with holstering and drawing than my generic one!).

After I was situated, I put the holster on my belt, checked the holster/draw process a few times with my pistol unloaded to make sure it didn't snag the trigger or anything, then loaded her up again and headed to Carl's Junior for lunch. The cashier did take notice of my pistol, but didn't say anything and kept his smile, so I'm assuming it didn't bother him. The girl who brought my food to my table had a smile on her face as well, and my whole day was entirely uneventful and enjoyable.

So, all in all, a great day for open carry! :D

machron1

imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
Was this Sunday afternoon? Did the guy have a black .45 and get into a gray Toyota?
It WAS a Sunday afternoon, and it MAY have been a .45, but I remember the gun was at least partially chrome in a brown leather holster, and I think the truck was American but I'm not 100% sure.

adamsesq

imported post

Pardon my newbiness - I didn't know if this related question could go here or should better have its own thread. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

I just talked with SW on 82nd in Portland about what retention holsters they have. They told me to make sure that I bring my gun so that I can see how different holsters fit, but "you have to check in with Customer Service and show them that it is unloaded if you bring a weapon into the store."

Now I'm okay with being unloaded with a weapon that I am trying out different holsters on but do they ask OC'ing people to do this every time you go in the store?

-adamsesq

CharlesAFerg

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
imported post

Personally, I think this applies to people who don't have their CHLs - but the people who attempt to uphold these store policies don't know this because they don't know the laws.

I'm willing to bet that most stores like this have employees that would be more willing to understand your right if they knew it was a legal action to take, open carrying. Unlike, say, various clothing stores and such.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

I'm 99% sure it was me you saw at sportsmans. Yes I am a OCDO member..lol.

I have been a virtual resident at Sportsmans since the last rain bringing the Coho salmon up the Sandy river. Most of the staff recognizes me as a frequent shopper for fishing supplies.

Sunday afternoon I was there, open carrying; and picked up a box of ammo after stopping by the gun counter watching people ogle the Kimber selection.

I open carrymy Kimber Pro carryin a brown leather holster an have done so at Sportsmans many times in Portland and Bend w/o ever raising an eyebrow.

However I can say for certain eyebrows have been raised when I open carrywhile angling. I try and avoid the annual anglers and make tracks to my "honey hole" that has offered up enough fish to 1/2 fill my freezer so far.

Fortunately I have no confrontations to report!

team one

imported post

I believe there are some posts in the WA forum, regarding Sportsmans Warehouse Policy. IIRC, the sign indicates that if you are going to be "handling" your gun, it has to be "checked" in at customer service, if it is going to stay holstered, you don't need to do anything.

machron1

imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
I'm 99% sure it was me you saw at sportsmans. Yes I am a OCDO member..lol.

I have been a virtual resident at Sportsmans since the last rain bringing the Coho salmon up the Sandy river. Most of the staff recognizes me as a frequent shopper for fishing supplies.

Sunday afternoon I was there, open carrying; and picked up a box of ammo after stopping by the gun counter watching people ogle the Kimber selection.

I open carrymy Kimber Pro carryin a brown leather holster an have done so at Sportsmans many times in Portland and Bend w/o ever raising an eyebrow.

However I can say for certain eyebrows have been raised when I open carrywhile angling. I try and avoid the annual anglers and make tracks to my "honey hole" that has offered up enough fish to 1/2 fill my freezer so far.

Fortunately I have no confrontations to report!
If you were wearing some sort of woodland camo clothing, then it was you! I was sitting in the red car parked next to your truck, playing with my new holster and eyeballing your pistol lol. Not sure if you noticed me. I just recently discovered that place. Out of the 3 times I've been there, twice I walked out with a new gun, and on that day with a new holster and a knife. It's a really cool place.

Have you had any bad experiences OC'ing around 82nd? I'm still fairly new to open carry, and 82nd is a high-crime area so I'm assuming the cops think "gun" = "criminal" much of the time, along with many of the natives. I know the Wal-Mart employees freaked when I went to the one by the movie theater, so I'm assuming you don't go there a lot...

neddis

imported post

Ok, so originally I thought it was me you were talking about....

Then I realized that I was at the Sportsman's in Kennewick, not Portland. DOH!

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

team one wrote:
I believe there are some posts in the WA forum, regarding Sportsmans Warehouse Policy. IIRC, the sign indicates that if you are going to be "handling" your gun, it has to be "checked" in at customer service, if it is going to stay holstered, you don't need to do anything.
If you do not plan to remove the weapon from the holster you are fine. However if you need to "fit it" then it needs to be unloaded and checked in at the desk. The same goes for Cabela's.

adamsesq

imported post

Spent more than an hour in SW today at 82nd and Johnson Creek Blvd. One weapon on my side and another in my hands as I walked in the door. I went straight to the Customer Service counter and opened the action to the one in my hand and said "I understand if I am going to be handling this you want to see it first..."

They did not even touch it but looked to see that it was empty and handed me a "check in" sheet of paper with my first name on it and a box marked for "pistol".

Nothing was said the entire time about the weapon on my hip. I talked with multiple staff throughout all areas of the store. I took a handful of holsters off the wall and up to the gun counter. When they didn't have the holster I wanted they even called Fisherman's Warehouse and found that it was in stock there where I then went and Fisherman's matched the SW price!

Left there and OC'd for the rest of my shopping day, at a car dealership, a suit store (where I was measured with the pistol in its holster fora jacket that covers it suitably), a resturant and then Office Depot. All without any eyes even being raised (well, except for the guy at the suit store!).

-adamsesq

SetivaSicWood

imported post

machron1 wrote:
If you were wearing some sort of woodland camo clothing, then it was you!

Bingo... Without question it was I. Sorry I didn't see you fondling your fire arm j/k I believe I was a on a 72 hr fishing stupor. I stumbled in and out of sereral stores on my way home Sunday.w/ .45 in tow.

This is why we need to keep having gatherings. You would have known me and I you....

machron1

imported post

SetivaSicWood wrote:
machron1 wrote:
If you were wearing some sort of woodland camo clothing, then it was you!

Bingo... Without question it was I. Sorry I didn't see you fondling your fire arm j/k I believe I was a on a 72 hr fishing stupor. I stumbled in and out of sereral stores on my way home Sunday.w/ .45 in tow.

This is why we need to keep having gatherings. You would have known me and I you....
Haha right on! I'm a newb here, and I've never been to a OCDO meeting. Count me in!