• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Identifiable buldge in pocket legal?

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
imported post

I understand what a pain in the ass it can be to carry in ct sometimes. For that reason, i purchased a small kel-tec 380 that slides right in any pocket. With certain pants, the outline of the firearm can be identified as such. I'm fine with that.

Is this still considered concealed, orwill i eventually have a hard time, muchlike goldburg case. From what i understand, his sidearm was a little more identifiable but the issue is still the same.

ANy one with similar experiences, would like to hear from

Thundar

imported post

sidelinellc wrote:
...pain in the ass ...slides right in ... I'm fine with that...have a hard time... From what i understand, his ... was... little ..but the issue is still the same.

ANy one with similar experiences, would like to hear from

Hey, just what are you trying to say about pocket bulges?:D

This is not one of those websites.:what:

Sorry about the bad humor to a first time poster. Welcome to OCDO. Read the postings here linked to our rocky hill, they should help.

sidelinellc

imported post

i did read the posts. this is partially were the question comes from.. Were is the "line" he had an outline visible through a t-shirt. I have a outline in my front or rear jean/pants pocket as do other's I'm sure.(no bad humor joke hear) not as defined though.anyways, I understand what is legal by the law, open carry. I also understand you'll be on the outside fighting to get back your rights for some time if you choose to do so.

So, in short, if i have a visible outline in my pocket, (gun or cell phone, who's to no) am i ok or am i looking for a future problem with a LEO. I will fight for my rights to a point, but, i also realize there is nothing mightier then the power of the pen a LEO carries. once they write anything, it's an uphill battle right or wrong.
basicly,just trying to get a feel from other's in ct, who do practice this. thanks

buketdude

imported post

i would not be that concerned...to be honest i don't think 90% of people give a crap if you have a gun on you and i think 90% could care less if we carry openly...but the other 10% can cause problems..esp if they are in positions of influence...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The 'effect' is called 'printing'. If the weapon is completely concealed by clothing otherwise (as required in CT), I dunno what the problem is. This is why I prefer OC anyway... which should be normal everywhere.

Thundar

imported post

sidelinellc wrote:
So, in short, if i have a visible outline in my pocket, (gun or cell phone, who's to no) am i ok or am i looking for a future problem with a LEO. I will fight for my rights to a point, but, i also realize there is nothing mightier then the power of the pen a LEO carries. once they write anything, it's an uphill battle right or wrong.
basicly,just trying to get a feel from other's in ct, who do practice this. thanks
The actual law and the enforcement of the law do not agree right now in CT. You have to decide if you will live freely and risk sanction or if you will try to keep out of the sights of the firearms board.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Correction... CCimplies 'covering'... where otherwise prohibited. I'm not up on CT nuances... but if OC is not prohibited... Don't worry about it.

AGust82

imported post

I carry a Ruger LCP (extremely similar to your p3at) in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster and it prints half as much as a cell phone. My wife never even notices when I'm carrying it.

buketdude

imported post

AGust82 wrote:
I carry a Ruger LCP (extremely similar to your p3at) in a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster and it prints half as much as a cell phone. My wife never even notices when I'm carrying it.
Thats a nice piece. I have one too!!

sidelinellc

imported post

Thundar wrote:
sidelinellc wrote:
The actual law and the enforcement of the law do not agree right now in CT. You have to decide if you will live freely and risk sanction or if you will try to keep out of the sights of the firearms board.

thanks to all who gave opinions. the above quote is were I'm stuck right now. If you have a partial profile of a pistol on your person, is that enough to draw attention. And if so, is there enough here for a LEO to charge you with something that you'll have to fight later. I have seen more people carrying these days and allot noticeable in there pocket, front or back, myself included. Just wondering if I'm asking for trouble or not.

Again, anyone in ct. that had any experiences with this carry method, would like to here from; good or bad.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

If you are looking for a guarantee that if you do this or that you will never have a problem from somebody, sometime - nobody can provide that - about anything.

On the other hand, learn applicable laws, read up on the info available here - then make your own best judgement call.

As mentioned previously, a pocket holster will solve your immediate problem.

Yata hey

1911crazy

imported post

I have my CCW I called the state police once about my shoulder holster that was sticking out below my black leather jacketabout 2". They told me the gun & holster has to be completely covered. This means the leather too nothing can show that your wearing a gun. I think a gun in your pocket is ok its all covered up right?

Lank

imported post

There are no rules regarding concealment in CT - it is perfectly legal either concealed or visible. The choice is yours.

If you choose to carry concealed, keep in mind that a small bulge doesn't broadcast to everyone that you're carrying a gun. People generally aren't looking for concealed guns, and very few will be perceptive enough to notice it. Those who do are probably CCers themselves.

Lank

imported post

There are no rules regarding concealment in CT - it is perfectly legal either concealed or visible. The choice is yours.

If you choose to carry concealed, keep in mind that a small bulge doesn't broadcast to everyone that you're carrying a gun. People generally aren't looking for concealed guns, and very few will be perceptive enough to notice it. Those who do are probably CCers themselves.

Ctgunfun

imported post

I noticed a couple of you said you have an LCP thought you may need to see this RECALL.

Ruger has recently received a small number of reports from the field indicating that LCP pistols can discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. We are firmly committed to safety and would like to retrofit all older LCP Pistols. The retrofit involves installation of an upgraded hammer mechanism at no charge to the customer.
DiamondImage2.jpg

We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed. Any gun may fire if dropped or struck.

How to determine if your pistol needs the retrofit: All LCP pistols bearing prefix “370” (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected. Newly manufactured and retrofitted “370” prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer as shown to the right. Going forward, new pistols will be marked with the serial number prefix “371” (serial number 371-xxxxx). Pistols with the “371” prefix are not affected.

How to arrange to have your pistol retrofitted:
Step 1 - Contact us and provide your name, address, telephone number and LCP serial number.

To sign up for the FREE safety upgrade:

Click Here to sign up immediately using the on-line form.

You may also sign up by using any of these alternative methods:

E-mail:
LCPRecall@ruger.com

Fax:
(928) 541-8873

Phone:
LCP Recall Hotline
1-800-784-3701
(available Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT)

Step 2 - We have begun receiving the new parts and are retrofitting LCP pistols on a first-come, first-served basis. When we are ready to retrofit your pistol, we will send you a shipping label and package with instructions so you can return your pistol to us FREE of charge.

Step 3 - We will install the new hammer mechanism, plus some other functional upgrades that we added since the LCP’s introduction, and return your LCP to you, all FREE of charge. When we do, we also will send you a FREE magazine with the new finger grip extension as a “thank you” for your patience and cooperation. We will make every effort to return your pistol within one week of receipt.

Thank you,
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.