Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: unhappy lawyer

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    So I was leaving my wife's bank after depositing my financial aid check. There was a lawyer office next door and I figured I would walk in and ask some basic questions in the event I ever needed his services. Well I walk in and sit at his desk. I see his face and it is a look of disdain like I'm bothering him by asking him some basic questions. Then when I brought up that I carry a firearm for both self defense and a form of protest that's when he got really annoyed. He started telling me how the SC got it wrong and there is no individual right to bear arms, and that theres that little problem of, "a well regulated milita."

    Keep in mind I didn't come in to debate. I just came in to ask about attorney representation. So I figured that he wasn't the right attorney. He thought the same thing so he advised me to go to another law firm. He sent me to the competitions office telling me to tell the other attorney that he sent me. So I left and met with the new attorney. When I told her about why I walked in she was a little skeptical that Open carry was legal. But after doing some cursory research, sherealized I was right. So now I at least know one attorney that I will probally never need. I guess the lesson is to make sure to meet with these attorneys and find out what their personal beliefs are so that you have someone that will actually defend you.

    Oh by the way she wasn't the one that I was sent in to see. The guy I was sent to see was dealing with someone that was actually in legal trouble.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    It does bring up a good point of finding a pro-2A lawyer in the area in case you would ever require assistance in the legal field. It's easy to say, "I'm not talking without my lawyer present", but becomes difficult when you can't produce one.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    tito887 wrote:
    Then when I brought up that I carry a firearm for both self defense and a form of protest that's when he got really annoyed.
    I don't blame him for getting "really annoyed."

    If any of your reasons for carrying a firearm includes, "a form of protest," you should REALLY reconsider. Such an ignorant reason that gives the rest a bad name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    OC is not a statement... it's a personal neccessity long denied. Lawyer #1 was fulla sheit.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    tito887 wrote:
    Then when I brought up that I carry a firearm for both self defense and a form of protest that's when he got really annoyed.
    I don't blame him for getting "really annoyed."

    If any of your reasons for carrying a firearm includes, "a form of protest," you should REALLY reconsider. Such an ignorant reason that gives the rest a bad name.
    So non-verbal forms of protest are ignorant and bad? Or is itjust theprotest against anti-gun bias, that's all too common, that you object to? Regardless, if you think that a person should disarm just because they don't conform to the standards of a wannabe thought-police agent such as yourself, you are incredibly ignorant, bigoted, and intolerant.

    I suggest that you move to China--I think you'll be a lot happier there.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    Flyer22 wrote:
    catass wrote:
    tito887 wrote:
    Then when I brought up that I carry a firearm for both self defense and a form of protest that's when he got really annoyed.
    I don't blame him for getting "really annoyed."

    If any of your reasons for carrying a firearm includes, "a form of protest," you should REALLY reconsider. Such an ignorant reason that gives the rest a bad name.
    So non-verbal forms of protest are ignorant and bad? Or is itjust theprotest against anti-gun bias, that's all too common, that you object to? Regardless, if you think that a person should disarm just because they don't conform to the standards of a wannabe thought-police agent such as yourself, you are incredibly ignorant, bigoted, and intolerant.

    I suggest that you move to China--I think you'll be a lot happier there.
    Maybe you're the one who should move to China. After all, you're for supressing my 1st Amendment rights. If you're not happy with China, maybe Iran will work for you.

    That's why the open carry movement will never achieve what the concealed carry movement has. Too many people that open carry are just out looking for a "fight."

    There may be good folks who open carry, however, the % of the ones using their guns as a tool to "protest" with will ruin it for all of us, both open and concealed carry citizens. It just gives the "anti's" more amunition.

    You're not the first pro-open carry person I've seen with the wrong mindset. I'm sure you won't be the last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    112

    Post imported post

    There may be good folks who open carry, however, the % of the ones using their guns as a tool to "protest" with will ruin it for all of us, both open and concealed carry citizens. It just gives the "anti's" more amunition.

    You're not the first pro-open carry person I've seen with the wrong mindset. I'm sure you won't be the last.
    I agree,I think all those A-holes who hold up signs in protest should knock it off, they could just screw things up for those of us with nothing to say.

    God Damn them!! Don't screw up MY 1A rights withthe flagrant display of your 1A rights!!!
    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SeaTac, Washington, USA
    Posts
    434

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    tito887 wrote:
    Then when I brought up that I carry a firearm for both self defense and a form of protest that's when he got really annoyed.
    I don't blame him for getting "really annoyed."

    If any of your reasons for carrying a firearm includes, "a form of protest," you should REALLY reconsider. Such an ignorant reason that gives the rest a bad name.
    Catass are you the arbitrator of rights now? Carrying a firearm is a right. Who are you totell someonewhen or for what reason it is ok. tito887 if you open carry for self defense, fine. If you open carry just because you want to, fine. If you open carry because you feel you are making a statement ie: form of protest, fine. It is your right and I support you for having the b#lls to do so.

    While we are at it who the hell does this attorney think he is that he knows more about the constitution than the judges on the U.S. Supreme Court? Others probably smarter than he made that argument and guess what? They were wrong. The U.S. Supreme Court said so.




  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    Flyer22 wrote:
    catass wrote:
    tito887 wrote:
    Then when I brought up that I carry a firearm for both self defense and a form of protest that's when he got really annoyed.
    I don't blame him for getting "really annoyed."

    If any of your reasons for carrying a firearm includes, "a form of protest," you should REALLY reconsider. Such an ignorant reason that gives the rest a bad name.
    So non-verbal forms of protest are ignorant and bad?¬* Or is it¬*just the¬*protest against anti-gun bias, that's all too common, that you object to?¬* Regardless, if you think that a person should disarm just because they don't conform to the standards of a wannabe thought-police agent such as yourself, you are incredibly ignorant, bigoted, and intolerant.

    I suggest that you move to China--I think you'll be a lot happier there.
    Maybe you're the one who should move to China. After all, you're for supressing my 1st Amendment rights. If you're not happy with China, maybe Iran will work for you.

    That's why the open carry movement will never achieve what the concealed carry movement has. Too many people that open carry are just out looking for a "fight."

    There may be good folks who open carry, however, the % of the ones using their guns as a tool to "protest" with will ruin it for all of us, both open and concealed carry citizens. It just gives the "anti's" more amunition.

    You're not the first pro-open carry person I've seen with the wrong mindset. I'm sure you won't be the last.
    I smell troll.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    There are so many things wrong with this thread I don't know where to start so I won't.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Achh... another one on the Unwatch list.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    tito887 wrote:
    Then when I brought up that I carry a firearm for both self defense and a form of protest that's when he got really annoyed.
    I don't blame him for getting "really annoyed."

    If any of your reasons for carrying a firearm includes, "a form of protest," you should REALLY reconsider. Such an ignorant reason that gives the rest a bad name.
    Catass is absolutely right. Being an OC'er as a form of protest is just starting trouble. It reminds me of all those troublemakers like Susan B Anthony, Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King Jr., and a bunch of guys in Philadlphia back in 1776. How dare ANY of them protest anything. Susan B Anthony had the right to be married and not have to worry about politics, Frederick Douglass had the right to live as just a slave or just afreed slave, Martin Luther King Jr. had the right to live as a second hand citizen, Roas Parks had the right to sit at the back of the bus, the boys in Philadelphia had the right to live under the tyrannical rule of a foreign power across the ocean...HOW DARE THEY rock the boat and accomplish the 19th and 13thAmendments, Civil Rights Legislation and equality, and oh...I don't know...FOUND a NEW COUNTRY that with a declaration of independence followed later by a constitution that enumerates the god given rights that are inherent to all mankind.

    Now Catass...if you cannot taste the sarcasm that is just dripping from my statements then perhaps you need to get your head out of the cats ass and wake up. There were people who had it good in all the aforementioned examples...but those who didn't or those who wanted it better had to protest. They did...they won. Could they have lost? Maybe...but only temporarily. If something is worth winning its worth fighting for...and moreso to keep fighting for.

    You say that OC will lead to the downfall of carrying in general? I say that CC ONLY will lead to the downfall of carrying. If the mass society does not understand, in a actual, personal, eyes on way that regular law abiding citizens actually carry then they are more prone to be bamboozled and duped by Gun Grabbers into believing that only criminals have guns and as such guns need to be outlawed.

    I'm a one man protest march against the anti-gun brady coalition gun grabbers of America and if someone wants to talk to me then i'll be more than happy to explain my reasons, my rights and the law. If someone wants to call the cops on me I'll explain the same thing to the cops and then when that same someone sees me again they will understand that OC is not against the law.

    Catass, you remind me of a character in To Kill A Mockingbird, Mr. Dolphus Raymond. He was a white guy who was in love with a black woman...but because he didn't want to rock the boat he pretended to be drunk and kept a coke bottle in a brown paper back when he went out. CC-only folks always remind me of ole Dolphus.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    tito887 wrote:
    and that theres that little problem of, "a well regulated milita."
    I don't see how that is a problem... Don't know where you are from, but most states have a definition of "militia" with in their legal codes.

    For WA state:

    "The militia of the state of Washington shall consist of all able bodied citizens of the United States and all other able bodied persons who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, residing within this state, who shall be more than eighteen years of age, and shall include all persons who are members of the national guard and the state guard, and said militia shall be divided into two classes, the organized militia and the unorganized militia."

    So according to my state, every person over 18 who is a US citizen and lives in this state is part of the militia.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    tito887 wrote:
    and that theres that little problem of, "a well regulated milita."
    I don't see how that is a problem... Don't know where you are from, but most states have a definition of "militia" with in their legal codes.

    For WA state:

    "The militia of the state of Washington shall consist of all able bodied citizens of the United States and all other able bodied persons who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, residing within this state, who shall be more than eighteen years of age, and shall include all persons who are members of the national guard and the state guard, and said militia shall be divided into two classes, the organized militia and the unorganized militia."

    So according to my state, every person over 18 who is a US citizen and lives in this state is part of the militia.

    The only problem I have with that is that it states that someone in a wheel chair can't have a firearm. But yeah...back in the day everyone who was able was in the militia...thats how the founders viewed it.


  15. #15
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Prophet wrote:
    You say that OC will lead to the downfall of carrying in general? I say that CC ONLY will lead to the downfall of carrying. If the mass society does not understand, in a actual, personal, eyes on way that regular law abiding citizens actually carry then they are more prone to be bamboozled and duped by Gun Grabbers into believing that only criminals have guns and as such guns need to be outlawed.

    I'm a one man protest march against the anti-gun brady coalition gun grabbers of America and if someone wants to talk to me then i'll be more than happy to explain my reasons, my rights and the law. If someone wants to call the cops on me I'll explain the same thing to the cops and then when that same someone sees me again they will understand that OC is not against the law.
    +1 Rights are not something 'permitted'. Right's are a pre-existing human condition. Many people still confuse Rights withsomething 'permitted or granted' by Authority (Government). Not so. Those of us who attendedGummint schools seem to have been pretty much brain-washed into believing early on that the Constitution is something 'given'. Not so. The Constitution is Governments recognition of actual, pre-exititing Rights free people are born with. Permit and License and Registration are quite different animals. What 'Governments can do (and do) is DENY Rights... in violation fo the Constitution. We already know where that's been goin' on. I thought deprivation of civil rights was a felony? So... how come US Marshalls haven't swooped down on these State and local governments and arrested these tyrannical politicians and their appointed LEO lackeys?

  16. #16
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bedford, Texas, USA
    Posts
    834

    Post imported post

    and yet again, some people who claim to be pro 2nd amendment can't stop throwing fellow gun carriers under the bus or cannibalizing them because something happens they can't F'ing agree upon. Thanks for nothing, morons.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    You're welcome... I think :?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    I personally don't carry openly explicitly to make a statement. To me the site of a firearm on the hip is more of a deterrent then the possibility of a concealed weapon. But in this day and age with the anti-self defense attitude that permeates throughout our society I don't know how open carrying could not be construed as a political statement. I'm wearing my freedom on my hip. Until open carry becomes common it will continue be a political statement. But we can't get there by concealed our pistols. The public must see the peaceful, lawful carrying of firearms by everyday citizens to change public opinion.

    Like one of the prior posts said, it's the idea that rights are given by the government and can be regulated. The idea that exercising your rights will lead to the right being taken away. A friend of mind had the same mindset when I informed him of his rights to, "remain silent, refuse consent to a search." That mindset is what must be defeated if we want to preserve what freedoms we have left. It's not about guns, it's about freedom.

  19. #19
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    Just read the Militia act of 1792. That is what the founding fathers defined as a militia.

    Also you will see the the members of the Militia had to furnish their own firearm and ammunition.





  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bedford, Texas, USA
    Posts
    834

    Post imported post

    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    You're welcome... I think :?
    I can think of no post you have ever made that would include you in my 'thanks' category, sonora. You may include yourself in the category of 2nd amendment supporter. That is a good thing.

  21. #21
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    DKSuddeth wrote:
    and yet again, some people who claim to be pro 2nd amendment can't stop throwing fellow gun carriers under the bus or cannibalizing them because something happens they can't F'ing agree upon. Thanks for nothing, morons.
    What the hell are you talking about?

  22. #22
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bedford, Texas, USA
    Posts
    834

    Post imported post

    MetalChris wrote:
    DKSuddeth wrote:
    and yet again, some people who claim to be pro 2nd amendment can't stop throwing fellow gun carriers under the bus or cannibalizing them because something happens they can't F'ing agree upon. Thanks for nothing, morons.
    What the hell are you talking about?
    I'm talking about a certain group of people who claim to be 2nd Amendment supporters yet will turn and devour another gun owner/bearer because they don't agree about a specific aspect of that individuals expression or exercise of a right. For example, castigating someone who has an incident with LEOs because they open carried at a childs soccer game or open carried to a polling booth. THAT is what i'm talking about.

  23. #23
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    tito887 wrote:
    Then when I brought up that I carry a firearm for both self defense and a form of protest that's when he got really annoyed.
    I don't blame him for getting "really annoyed."

    If any of your reasons for carrying a firearm includes, "a form of protest," you should REALLY reconsider. Such an ignorant reason that gives the rest a bad name.
    You are aware you signed up for an account on OPENcarry.org no? Out of curosity, what did you think this website, called OPENcarry.org was going to advocate when you filled out the information to get an account here?
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when youíre serious and when youíre being sarcastic. ĖAbraham Lincoln

  24. #24
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    DKSuddeth wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    DKSuddeth wrote:
    and yet again, some people who claim to be pro 2nd amendment can't stop throwing fellow gun carriers under the bus or cannibalizing them because something happens they can't F'ing agree upon. Thanks for nothing, morons.
    What the hell are you talking about?
    I'm talking about a certain group of people who claim to be 2nd Amendment supporters yet will turn and devour another gun owner/bearer because they don't agree about a specific aspect of that individuals expression or exercise of a right. For example, castigating someone who has an incident with LEOs because they open carried at a childs soccer game or open carried to a polling booth. THAT is what i'm talking about.
    OK, but I fail to see how that is relevant to this thread...just a random vent?


  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    293

    Post imported post

    MetalChris wrote:
    DKSuddeth wrote:
    OK, but I fail to see how that is relevant to this thread...just a random vent?
    He's accusing catass of being one of those anti-gun gun owners for not supporting open carry as a 'form of protest.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •