Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb friendly gun shop?

Post imported post

I am pretty new to carrying, and firearms in general. I go to a local gun shop and the employees in there make me feel like I should already know everything about everything. They're very narcissistic and make me feel pretty dumb if I ask questions about OC holsters, or IWB holsters, etc.

Does anyone know any good gun shops in the South King County Area that have good, nice, employees who are willing to help a newbie to this whole thing?

Post imported post

Go further south to Tacoma and see Dan at mary's...............

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

I've had good experiences at Discount Gun Sales(both Lake Cityand South Center)The guys were both really friendly and knowledgeable and they are not on commission. Also, my friend Roberto is the Asst. mangr. at Wade's in Bellevue and he is a really nice guy.

Post imported post

I've certainly had good experiences at Mary's, but with the caveat that I'm not a newbie, so I can't really say how they come across to someone at that level. But at least give them a try!

I've also found the folks at the gun dept at Sportco in Fife to be perfectly helpful --including way back when I was a newbie, though I can't promise you any of the same folks are still there. But again, they're at least worth checking out.

Post imported post

I will second the recommendation for Discount Gun Sales. That's where I got both of my handguns, and my IWB holster. Every time they were friendly and helpful! I'm still pretty much a newb myself, and they never made me feel dumb.

Post imported post

Personally, myself, I have had issues at DGS, and I am not a noob. Mabye I got people on a bad day on the times I had been in, who knows......but, have had a bad taste in my mouth since my last visit.

However, they do have a very large collection of toys and items to make even the newest noob squeal with glee!

Post imported post

Thank you guys. I also had the problem at the Federal Way DGS.. they just came off as jerks.

I won't buy there.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Why am I not surprised it was the Federal Way shop. They are some of the least "customer friendly" people I've ever encountered. I use Champion Arms in Kent. They have some decent prices, and are very friendly. The owner, Todd, even made it a point to introduce himself to me. He also answered some questions about a gun I'm considering purchasing.

If you want to check them out, they're at 18801 East Valley Highway S.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

The internet is always a great source for those "newbie" questions befor you go into the store.

Post imported post

Another vote for Mary's Pistols I was a noob 6 months ago and they were very helpful.

Post imported post

Igive Mary's Pistols another thumbs up. I typically will not visit any other store unless they are out of something I need to have that day !

They always treat me with a ton of respect as a gun enthusist and I believe that is the only requirement for walking in their store. Last time I purchased a pistol Dan and I talked about its history, the characteristics, and we broke it down together and re-assembled before I walked away from the counter.

I love guns and so does Dan, we get along great and only 6 months ago I too, was a nub stick.

Post imported post

FWIW, I'm on the other side of the state from you folks, but I found Sportsman's Warehouse to be great. I also don't know a lot about guns and the gun shop folks had attitudes. Sportsman's had a much bigger selection and the employees were all very friendly. I bought my last two guns there and will buy more from them in the future.

Post imported post

I've personally found Sportsmans warehouse in Federal Way to be very hit and miss. I've had ok experiences, but I've also had the worst gun buying experience if my life there. I'd also recommend champion arms. in east valley. And the guys at DGS southcenter seem to be good.

Post imported post

Appreciate all the responses and the DGS in FW is the only store I've ever been too so I'm glad the customer service there is not the industry standard.

Do you know if any stores do financing? Or do you always have to pay right there full price.

Post imported post

Champion will allow you to do layaway, as long as it isn't for a long period.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Well not layaway, I'm thinking more you get the firearm/holster or whatever and make payments.

Post imported post

I don't know of anyone, other than a private seller, who would do that.

Post imported post

That's what a credit card is for.

Now, as someone with an interest in intelligent money management, I can't help but strongly suggest you save up and pay cash. If you need a gun "right away" for protection against an imminent threat, buy a cheap gun. A buddy bought his wife a little Bursa handgun brand new for $150 and it will more than do the job if you need it to. Then save up for the gun you really want.

Post imported post

tricityguy wrote:
    That's what a credit card is for.

Now, as someone with an interest in intelligent money management, I can't help but strongly suggest you save up and pay cash. If you need a gun "right away" for protection against an imminent threat, buy a cheap gun. A buddy bought his wife a little Bursa handgun brand new for $150 and it will more than do the job if you need it to. Then save up for the gun you really want.
    +1

Post imported post

Count me as another vote for Mary's.

My first time through the door I was open carry, and I asked if they were OK with that. Dan replied "Not only yes, but we encourage it! Thanks for asking first! Come on in friend!" And it all got better from there.

Tell them you are new to guns, and you will get allthe help you need.

I got a good deal on the exact gun I was looking for, and Dan was even passing out the open carry pamphlets to all who entered while I was there.

Good folks that treat everyone with respect!

Post imported post

Never been to the DGS in Federal Way. I've only been to the Everett and Kirkland ones. Those ones had friendly staff there when I went.

Post imported post

Bookman wrote:
    I use Champion Arms in Kent. They have some decent prices, and are very friendly. The owner, Todd, even made it a point to introduce himself to me. He also answered some questions about a gun I'm considering purchasing.

If you want to check them out, they're at 18801 East Valley Highway S.

Todd isn't the owner, he's the owner's best friend. The owner is Steve Wangsness. I onlysay this because I used to work there, and was working for Steve when he was at his tiny gunsmith shop in Fife, and helped him move his operation to its current location on E. Valley Hwy. They have a 25yd indoor pistol range, too. (Which most gunshops can't say.)

Post imported post

Okay, I will try Mary's since most people seem to have good experience there. I appreciate it.

Post imported post

If you have any questions, go ahead and ask here. We won't make fun of you I was once in your shoes. Bought my first handgun 5 years ago and since have aquired 6 more :shock:Anyhow we were all once noobs... If you have specific questions regarding Sig Sauer (my favorite brand), Ihope I can help.

Post imported post

Haha, I just feel stupid sometimes, asking dumb questions.

I'm interested in holsters, IWB looks good for concealment but I feel like I would have to buy the next pant size up. Also, I was looking at Blackhawk SQC for OC (which I plan to do a lot). I'm getting a XD 45 5" hopefully.

Just wondering like what are the basics that I should get along with the gun, do people carry extra mags normally or do they assume you can end a confrontation in 14 shots? I was also looking at the Colt 1911, what is the "word on the street" on that gun. Am I going to need new holsters for that gun, or will my XD holsters hold that one too?

How much am I looking at with the gun to get fully set (good comfortable holsters for OC and Concealment) What is a fair price for the XD, new in the box? I know some of the pics I see come with two extra mags, and some sort of case and a box.

Should I get a safe? What safes are good safes?

So many questions

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast