• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newb friendly gun shop?

Kildars

imported post

I am pretty new to carrying, and firearms in general. I go to a local gun shop and the employees in there make me feel like I should already know everything about everything. They're very narcissistic and make me feel pretty dumb if I ask questions about OC holsters, or IWB holsters, etc.

Does anyone know any good gun shops in the South King County Area that have good, nice, employees who are willing to help a newbie to this whole thing?

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

I've had good experiences at Discount Gun Sales(both Lake Cityand South Center)The guys were both really friendly and knowledgeable and they are not on commission. Also, my friend Roberto is the Asst. mangr. at Wade's in Bellevue and he is a really nice guy.

kparker

imported post

I've certainly had good experiences at Mary's, but with the caveat that I'm not a newbie, so I can't really say how they come across to someone at that level. But at least give them a try!

I've also found the folks at the gun dept at Sportco in Fife to be perfectly helpful --including way back when I was a newbie, though I can't promise you any of the same folks are still there. But again, they're at least worth checking out.

holeinhead

imported post

I will second the recommendation for Discount Gun Sales. That's where I got both of my handguns, and my IWB holster. Every time they were friendly and helpful! I'm still pretty much a newb myself, and they never made me feel dumb.

Patch

imported post

Personally, myself, I have had issues at DGS, and I am not a noob. Mabye I got people on a bad day on the times I had been in, who knows......but, have had a bad taste in my mouth since my last visit.

However, they do have a very large collection of toys and items to make even the newest noob squeal with glee!

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Why am I not surprised it was the Federal Way shop. They are some of the least "customer friendly" people I've ever encountered. I use Champion Arms in Kent. They have some decent prices, and are very friendly. The owner, Todd, even made it a point to introduce himself to me. He also answered some questions about a gun I'm considering purchasing.

If you want to check them out, they're at 18801 East Valley Highway S.

scilence

imported post

Igive Mary's Pistols another thumbs up. I typically will not visit any other store unless they are out of something I need to have that day !

They always treat me with a ton of respect as a gun enthusist and I believe that is the only requirement for walking in their store. Last time I purchased a pistol Dan and I talked about its history, the characteristics, and we broke it down together and re-assembled before I walked away from the counter.

I love guns and so does Dan, we get along great and only 6 months ago I too, was a nub stick.

tricityguy

imported post

FWIW, I'm on the other side of the state from you folks, but I found Sportsman's Warehouse to be great. I also don't know a lot about guns and the gun shop folks had attitudes. Sportsman's had a much bigger selection and the employees were all very friendly. I bought my last two guns there and will buy more from them in the future.

Eric-WA

imported post

I've personally found Sportsmans warehouse in Federal Way to be very hit and miss. I've had ok experiences, but I've also had the worst gun buying experience if my life there. I'd also recommend champion arms. in east valley. And the guys at DGS southcenter seem to be good.

Kildars

imported post

Appreciate all the responses and the DGS in FW is the only store I've ever been too so I'm glad the customer service there is not the industry standard.

Do you know if any stores do financing? Or do you always have to pay right there full price.

tricityguy

imported post

That's what a credit card is for. :)

Now, as someone with an interest in intelligent money management, I can't help but strongly suggest you save up and pay cash. If you need a gun "right away" for protection against an imminent threat, buy a cheap gun. A buddy bought his wife a little Bursa handgun brand new for $150 and it will more than do the job if you need it to. Then save up for the gun you really want.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

tricityguy wrote:
That's what a credit card is for. :)

Now, as someone with an interest in intelligent money management, I can't help but strongly suggest you save up and pay cash. If you need a gun "right away" for protection against an imminent threat, buy a cheap gun. A buddy bought his wife a little Bursa handgun brand new for $150 and it will more than do the job if you need it to. Then save up for the gun you really want.
+1

Iron Monger

imported post

Count me as another vote for Mary's.

My first time through the door I was open carry, and I asked if they were OK with that. Dan replied "Not only yes, but we encourage it! Thanks for asking first! Come on in friend!" And it all got better from there.

Tell them you are new to guns, and you will get allthe help you need.

I got a good deal on the exact gun I was looking for, and Dan was even passing out the open carry pamphlets to all who entered while I was there.

Good folks that treat everyone with respect!