• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newb friendly gun shop?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Bookman wrote:
I use Champion Arms in Kent. They have some decent prices, and are very friendly. The owner, Todd, even made it a point to introduce himself to me. He also answered some questions about a gun I'm considering purchasing.

If you want to check them out, they're at 18801 East Valley Highway S.
Todd isn't the owner, he's the owner's best friend. The owner is Steve Wangsness. I onlysay this because I used to work there, and was working for Steve when he was at his tiny gunsmith shop in Fife, and helped him move his operation to its current location on E. Valley Hwy. They have a 25yd indoor pistol range, too. (Which most gunshops can't say.)

jchen012

imported post

If you have any questions, go ahead and ask here. We won't make fun of you :DI was once in your shoes. Bought my first handgun 5 years ago and since have aquired 6 more :shock:Anyhow we were all once noobs... If you have specific questions regarding Sig Sauer (my favorite brand), Ihope I can help.

Kildars

imported post

Haha, I just feel stupid sometimes, asking dumb questions.

I'm interested in holsters, IWB looks good for concealment but I feel like I would have to buy the next pant size up. Also, I was looking at Blackhawk SQC for OC (which I plan to do a lot). I'm getting a XD 45 5" hopefully.

Just wondering like what are the basics that I should get along with the gun, do people carry extra mags normally or do they assume you can end a confrontation in 14 shots? I was also looking at the Colt 1911, what is the "word on the street" on that gun. Am I going to need new holsters for that gun, or will my XD holsters hold that one too?

How much am I looking at with the gun to get fully set (good comfortable holsters for OC and Concealment) What is a fair price for the XD, new in the box? I know some of the pics I see come with two extra mags, and some sort of case and a box.

Should I get a safe? What safes are good safes?

So many questions ;)

.45ballers

imported post

Bookman wrote:
tricityguy wrote:
That's what a credit card is for. :)

Now, as someone with an interest in intelligent money management, I can't help but strongly suggest you save up and pay cash. If you need a gun "right away" for protection against an imminent threat, buy a cheap gun. A buddy bought his wife a little Bursa handgun brand new for $150 and it will more than do the job if you need it to. Then save up for the gun you really want.
+1
+2

jchen012

imported post

In my opinion, I think the XD would be a bad choice for someone new to firearms. The XD has the extra grip safety which is something you don't want to be fiddling with when the SHTF. They are also somewhat top heavy (meaning the slide seems to be unbalanced with the rest of the gun). This is in no way bashing XDs, but I think for a first firearm, you want something as simple as possible. It seems like your mind is set on the .45. Therefore I would recommend the new Glock 21SF or 30SF. These new models have the "Short Frame" and will definately fit your hands better.

Unfortunately I don't have a 1911 and never shot one, but I can tell you that I consistently see 1911s jam all the time, especially in IDPA (one of the many competition associations). The ones that don't seem to jam are the $2500 custom pistols. I doubt you are willing to spend that much. I do see 1911s at the range that run fine, but people shoot slowly at the range. At IDPA, we are given real life scenarios where quick multiple shots are required and the ones that seem to jam are the 1911s. This is just from my personal experience.

The XD you are describing is adouble stack gun, meaning the magazines hold the bullets by staggering them in 2 rows and therefore can hold more bullets. But that makes the grip wider. A 1911 is traditionally asingle stack weapon. The magazines hold the bullets in one straight row and therefore is thinner. The XD and 1911 will not share the same holster. Even the magazine pouches will be different because one will be double stack while the other is single stack.

The CQC Serpa is a very good choice for OC. Many people use it because it is cheap and it has a great retention system. As for IWB, yes you might have to get bigger pants. In my case, I decided to lose just enough weight to carry IWB. My personal preference is the Milt Sparks Watch Six orVersa Max 2. Also my magazine pouch is from Milt Sparks.

If you buy a new gun, it should come with a case and a lock. I don't think there is a need to buy a safe unless you start buying more firearms. Also all the accessories is going to cost you. On my carry guns, I add night sights, which I think you should too. Also I suggest getting more magazines. Each gun should have at least 4 magazines in my opinion. Holsters and magazine pouches will also add to your cost...

One last thing... most people carry an extra magazine with them just in case of a magazine malfunction, not because they need more ammo. Things will break over time. The spring in your original magazine may give and you need another magazine to stay in the fight.

I hope all of this answers some of your questions...

kparker

imported post

How experienced are you in pistol shooting per se?

If you do have some experience, enough that you'd feel comfortable going to a range that has rentals and trying out a variety of different handguns, then I strongly recommend that.

The discussion about 1911 vs XD vs Glock is a bit premature, as the real question is: what fits you / what feels good to you / what do you shoot well with? The observations about wide vs narrow grip, for example, are quite true, but miss the point that: some people do better with a wide grip, some with a narrow, some do just fine with either, some actually prefer a revolver, and a few just can't manage to make a handgun work comfortably no matter what (these are the ones for whom the M1 Carbine was invented. :))

If you don't yet have enough shooting experience to try out a few rental guns and make a meaningful evaluation of them, then maybe some helpful member in your area (or even me, if you were willing to come to Tacoma) could either help you get started or point you to a basic handgun course so you could get to that point.

David.Car

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Haha, I just feel stupid sometimes, asking dumb questions. Everyone has to start at the beginning once. No big deal.

I'm interested in holsters, IWB looks good for concealment but I feel like I would have to buy the next pant size up.Look at the Comp-Tac products online. They make some fantastic IWB holsters. I personally use the M-Tac.Also, I was looking at Blackhawk SQC for OC (which I plan to do a lot).This is definitly the holster of choice among the OCcrowd (at least so it seems) I haven't seen much if any complaints and yet there are tons of compliments for them.I'm getting a XD 45 5" hopefully.If you have the oportunity I would suggest going to a range that rents firearms and try out a few things. Especially for a first firearm, you will be much much better off if you get to try them all out and see what fits your hand best, what sights you like, and you might just find that gun made specifically for your hand. (Try a sig ;))

Just wondering like what are the basics that I should get along with the gun, Ammo :Ddo people carry extra mags normally or do they assume you can end a confrontation in 14 shots? People usually carry extra mags in case the one in the firearm malfunctions. If you can't solve the problem with the first couple rounds, it must be one hell of a problem. I was also looking at the Colt 1911, what is the "word on the street" on that gun. Am I going to need new holsters for that gun, or will my XD holsters hold that one too? There are too many "words on the street" for any firearm type. For every person that loves one gun there is another that hates it... Oh and BTW there are many different models of 1911 made by colt... So you would have to search and ask on each one you were interested in. And yes, you would need a new holster, new extra mags and so on and so forth.

How much am I looking at with the gun to get fully set (good comfortable holsters for OC and Concealment) This is all going to depend on what holsters you go with, where you get them from, how many mags you buy... It could be anywhere from just the price of your gun(I think XDs come with a holsterto startwith) to hundreds more. I paid about $130for my holsters for my sig p226.What is a fair price for the XD, new in the box?You can get one for easily under $500. That is with the holster, mag carrier and couple mags. NIB.I know some of the pics I see come with two extra mags, and some sort of case and a box.
pix1718464765.jpg

Should I get a safe? What safes are good safes? Depends... Do you have kids? Are you going to leave it at home during the day (work that won't let you carry). If no to both, you probably will have it with you during the day and by your side at night, so no real reasons for a safe.

So many questions ;)

d0od

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
In my opinion, I think the XD would be a bad choice for someone new to firearms. The XD has the extra grip safety which is something you don't want to be fiddling with when the SHTF. They are also somewhat top heavy (meaning the slide seems to be unbalanced with the rest of the gun). This is in no way bashing XDs, but I think for a first firearm, you want something as simple as possible. It seems like your mind is set on the .45. Therefore I would recommend the new Glock 21SF or 30SF. These new models have the "Short Frame" and will definately fit your hands better.
snip
I just got my first gun 6 months ago and I could not disagree more with you about the XD. The grip safety is something you will never know it is there and requires no thought to disengage. I have not found the XD to be any more top heavy than any other polymer gripped gun. There is nothing wrong with glock either I just didnt like the way it felt in my hand. :)

To the O.P.
I would also recommend going to a range and renting. I live close to the The Marksman so I went there took their intro. to handguns class where rentals are free after the class you just have to buy their bullets. I am sure there are gun ranges near you that offer the same kind of thing.
If you want any info about the xd check out
http://www.xdtalk.com and
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php
Between those sites, the class, and the rental of several guns I felt I made an informed decision about my first firearm.

Edited for spelling/grammar

sirpuma

imported post

I have the XD .45 Tactical (5") and it's quite balanced when the magazine is full. The grip safety is not something you have to fiddle with, if you're fiddling with it, your not holding the pistol right.

The XD is the only pistol that I can naturally point without aiming and hit center mass at 30'. Most other pistols and revolvers will either hit high or low because of the egonomics of the grip. A good test to see if you are truely one with your handgun is to hold it ready at your side with your target at 25-30', then without aiming, casually raise it, point and click, then see where on the target your round hit. If the gun fits your hand and body you will have hit center mass.

kparker

imported post

A: In my opinion, I think the XD would be a bad choice for someone new to firearms.
B: I could not disagree more with you about the XD.
C: The XD is the only pistol that I can naturally point without aiming...

This is why try-before-you-buy is such a good idea.

MetalChris

imported post

Bookman wrote:
I second Ben's Loans. I've only been there twice. But both times I received excellent service. They also have some really good prices on ammo.
I third Ben's Loans. I got my SAR-1 there a few years ago.

neddis

imported post

d0od wrote:
jchen012 wrote:
snip
I just got my first gun 6 months ago and I could not disagree more with you about the XD. The grip safety is something you will never know it is there and requires no thought to disengage. I have not found the XD to be any more top heavy than any other polymer gripped gun. There is nothing wrong with glock either I just didnt like the way it felt in my hand. :)
I also got an XD as my first handgun. I LOVE it. I got the 9mm first and after a few months, decided I wanted the manual safety (don't hurt me) so I sold it and got the new .45 with the thumb safety. The grip safety, trigger safety, and now thumb safety don't get in the way AT ALL. It didn't even take any practice to get used to them. It was a natural fit in my hand and the safeties disengaged with my (at the time) newbie's shooting grip.

When the magazine is full, the gun is very well balanced. As you fire off rounds, it does get a little top heavy, but I have found this to be the case with most polymer guns I have held or shot. It's just what happens as you fire and expel weight from the gun.

I paid $580 for my XD45 new (but then again, I didn't pay sales tax because I am in Oregon :p). I realize that I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere, but the store I bought it from has awesome customer service, they are helpful, and local so I wanted to support them.

As many people have said, it just comes down to feel. Whichever gun fits your hand best is the one you should buy. Many people swear by 1911's but I do not like them. I generally do not like single stack guns because the grips are too narrow to feel comfortable in my hands, which are about average size - again, that's my own personal opinion. Just handle and shoot several different models and buy the one that is the best fit.

David.Car

imported post

neddis wrote:
Many people swear by 1911's but I do not like them. I generally do not like single stack guns because the grips are too narrow to feel comfortable in my hands, which are about average size - again, that's my own personal opinion.
Not trying to sway you, just giving some information. They do make double stack 1911's. And it does defnitly come down to opinion. I have hands that are on the smaller size but I still prefer the double stack larger grips.

Bear 45/70

imported post

neddis wrote:
Many people swear by 1911's but I do not like them. I generally do not like single stack guns because the grips are too narrow to feel comfortable in my hands, which are about average size - again, that's my own personal opinion. Just handle and shoot several different models and buy the one that is the best fit.
So you don't like the 1911....because you are a bad shot and need more rounds. But you prefer a plastic gun to the most famous semi-auto handgun in the world. You noobie, just slay me with your reasoning.
rolleyes.gif
Para-Ordnance has been making double stack 1911 for a long time.