• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newb friendly gun shop?

David.Car

imported post

The only wear on my Sig P226 from my serpa is a thin line (maybe 5 mm across) in the perfectcenteron the first inch of the underside of the barrel. Where the Picatinny Rail is... not noticeable unless you are looking at your gun upside down in the proper light.

But as people said, you will get wear from all holsters. They way it ends up is it seems Kydex will wear a little quicker than leather, but in the end they wear down your finishto the same amount.

For me the slightly quicker wear is worth the quicker draw, better retention, and long lasting life of Kydex compared to leather.

amlevin

imported post

emperor wrote:
Whatever you do stay away from Sam's Gunshop in Everett. They are For The Lose for sure. LOL People there are just rude. My friend and I have both use their FFL service and both time people are just rude and act like we are some dumb ahoe that doesn't know what we are talking about, however we were just giving them info to ease their job.

And if prior to getting my CPL, waiting period without one is 7 business days. And weekend and holiday doesn't count! Since they don't take down your info as you suggest they do, they can't figure out who to call and won't contact you when they received your goods to be transferred. All in all they are a mess!

My friend buy alot and they lost his and my business for sure.

As the old saying goes "Your Mileage May Vary". I have purchases several guns over the last year or so at Sam's and have to say that the experience there was no different than anywhere else. I picked out the gun, filled out the forms, showed my DL and CPL, they called, I gave them money, and then went to the range to shoot my new gun (You get 30 days free range fees with each gun purchased at Sam's).

All shops have a bad day or so but as Sam's goes it seems pretty average. I've dealt with that shop since it first opened in the '80s as the Gun Works.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

DEROS72 & I went to Mary's yesterday. Not only were they extremely polite, but their gun prices are the best I've seen. I bought a new MilPro Pt-145 for less (after taxes) than any other pre-tax price I'd been quoted. It was definitely worth the trip.

Ran into Jarhead, returning a bore sighter. M1Gunr, if he calls you...don't wave.

SavageT

imported post

The folks at Champion Arms are really helpful and thier customer service is outstanding. They are located in Kent on E. Valley Hwy, And not only do they have a knowledgeable staff but also an indoor range. Their website is www.championarms.com. Hope this helps.

Kildars

imported post

Hey guys. Three months later and I just wanted to reply to you.

I ended up getting the XD at Ben's Loans and I had a good experience w/ them. I plan on going there or to Mary's for my next.

I got a few questions though. I figured I could bump this thread instead of creating a new one.

It is a bit OT but anyways.

I am interested in getting into some sort of competition shooting. I've put about 500 rounds through the XD so far and while it is fun, I am looking something a little more engaging. Any hints/ideas where to get started? Also I hear modifying the trigger makes a difference? I remember Nosrac saying PM him to modify but I'm looking for the basics on Competitions, ranges, schools, associations (whatever!).

Any hints?

P.S.

Looking at getting a second pistol, now, with sport shooting in mind is .45 still a good calibur?

armyhellion13

imported post

HUGE fan of Discount Gun Sales in Seattle! Professional, friendly, helpful, no pressure, and willing to spend plenty of time with you. Great prices and staff all around. Corey is excellent, ask for him. They also own their own state of the art range and multiple store locations. Great website as well. They are open until 6PM but have stayed many times later to give me advice and/or finalize a sale. Mary's Pistols in Tacoma has some great deals and low prices but are not as helpful as DCS and can at times (but not always) be fairly short, overly sarcastic and not as helpful...and when they say closing time, it's closing time. If you find something you like at the last minute you will have to come back the next day to complete the sale. They literally will not wait the 10 minutes or so for the paperwork. They have done this to myself and friends a couple of times. As the owner says, "Mary's is not a museum, if you want it buy it." About the same goes for Bullseye in Tacoma, although they do have a large selection of products and their own on-site range.
Oh and one last thing, DCS sells Class III.

bordsnbikes

imported post

If your going to be sport shooting definitely go with a 9mm. Less recoil than a .45 gives you faster follow up shots and it's a lot cheaper ammo.

I CC everyday and I have a 9mm. You really don't need anything more than that anyway.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Bookman wrote:
Why am I not surprised it was the Federal Way shop. They are some of the least "customer friendly" people I've ever encountered. I use Champion Arms in Kent. They have some decent prices, and are very friendly. The owner, Todd, even made it a point to introduce himself to me. He also answered some questions about a gun I'm considering purchasing.

If you want to check them out, they're at 18801 East Valley Highway S.
Champion arm's has a very very bad reputation for gunsmith work fyi. Do a search here to find multiple people who had to wait for months to get their guns back in worse condition than when they went in.

That's not to say that they have bad customer service regarding counter sales, or the range though. Those fellows were generally nice to me.

I've personally had mostly good experiences at Wade's in Bellevue. Except for the gentlemen who told me I was wrong for 15 minutes when I asked for a full power load in 10mm, "This American Eagle is as hot as it gets!". Sure it is, smile and nod, smile and nod.

I had one sales person at Wade's who took the initiative to try fitting my CZ-75 clone into just about every single Serpa holster they sell (a lot) trying to find one that fit for me (I now carry it in a modified five seven Serpa btw ;))

I've also open carried the past 5 or 6 times I've been to Wade's, and had no issues.

I generally find that I like the prices and selection at West Coast Armory in Issaquah.

ETA: Whoops I just realized the topic has changed. All I can say is if you think 9mm is enough, then it is. However, after a year or so with your XD9 your way of thinking might change; I know mine did. ;)

bordsnbikes

imported post

Kildars wrote:
You think the increase in recoil from say a 9mm and a .45 gives the 9mm an advantage? Or is it all about how you control it?

If your talking about sport shooting there's no point in using .45. Unless your interest is a shooting event that is only .45's. I'm sure there's something out there like that. As for stopping power, it doesn't take much to stop a target.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
As for stopping power, it doesn't take much to stop a target.
Are you sure about that?

Did you know that even if a person could reach into your chest and rip out your heart that you would still have at least 30 seconds of full strength and mobility to cut his throat, shoot him, etc?

Some criminals might not have that motivation, but others will. Have you read the paperwork the FBI released after they had agents die after a perfectly placed round failed to penetrate the heart? The whole switchover to 10mm and then .40S&W?

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi_10mm_notes.pdf

All that being said, you might get lucky and the criminal might lie down, or you might get a hit on his nervous system, but I wouldn't count on it.

shad0wfax

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Kildars wrote:
You think the increase in recoil from say a 9mm and a .45 gives the 9mm an advantage? Or is it all about how you control it?

If your talking about sport shooting there's no point in using .45. Unless your interest is a shooting event that is only .45's. I'm sure there's something out there like that. As for stopping power, it doesn't take much to stop a target.

Hehehe, a .177 air pistol pellet will stop a paper target with authority.

But if you're sport shooting against bowling pins or steel "poppers" the 9mm might be a bit tougher. It'll require absolutely perfect shot placement to get the job done, where the .45 ACP allows for a bit more leeway.

Then again, that only makes the case for the 9mm stronger, from a practice makes perfect perspective.