• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Qualification today

TheBuddha

imported post

Just got hired on with an armored car company and had to take a pistol qualification course over the weekend. I have shot before at Mission Essential but not often and not for a couple of months. Borrowed a Sig P220 for the course. Used magtech .45ACP rounds. The were two qualification rounds each with 50 rounds of ammo. Everyone else was qualifying on a revolver so they had me load only six rounds at a time. Here is a pic of my target silhouette. The two rounds wide right were both the first rounds of a new clip at 15 yards. I am pretty sure I was anticipating and got jerky with the trigger. I did however have the highest score in class with the 99.2.
Comments welcome and anticipated.

officerjdc

imported post

TheBuddha wrote:
Thanks. Does anyone have any tips on how I can stop jerking that first shot?
I've been having the same problem ever since our contract was taken over by the new company and we switched from Glock 17sto Beretta 92s. I always jerk the first shot (where the hammer is down) low. I went so far as to buy a used Taurus PT92 that I found in a local pawnshop so I could try to beat this problem, and I still haven't figured out why the heavier trigger pull of that first hammer down shot makes me pull that shot low. I'd appreciate advice on how to correct this problemtoo.

denthack

imported post

Jost Pull that First Shot SLOW and steady. Then slow down some more.... it will go bang when it's ready.... keep that front sight clear and squeze it slowly.

also make sure your grip is correct. Heal of both hands firmly in contact with the grip, only the padof your finger on the trigger, not hooked at your first nuckle.