Thread: City of Lebanon "slow rolls" Right to Know Act Request re Meleanie Hain's LTCF rev

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Gee - too bad they are going to have their lawyer sit on this request for 3 weeks - by that time Meleanie's hearing will be over!

Should it really take 3 weeks to review some emails and memos??

State Researcher
    Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

I thought they had 10 days?

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

They are supposed to respond within five working days.
    Section 3.4(b) - Upon receipt of a written request for access, if a non-Commonwealth agency determines that one of the following applies:

(3) a timely response to the request for access cannot be accompanied due to bona fide and specified staffing limitations;

(4) a legal review is necessary to determine whether the record is a public record subject to access under this act;

the non-Commonwealth agency shall send written notice to the requester within five business days of the non-Commonwealth agency's receipt of the request notifying the requester that the request for access is being reviewed, the reason for the review and a reasonable date that a response is expected to be provided.

Most places charge twenty-five cents a page.

Post imported post

I've recently noticed sheriffs are circulating a petitionwhich seeks to grant them more arrest powers in Pennsylvania, even though they cannot seem to manage their current duties.

Post imported post

ne1 wrote:
    I've recently noticed sheriffs are circulating a petitionwhich seeks to grant them more arrest powers in Pennsylvania, even though they cannot seem to manage their current duties.
    I think the involvement of Sheriff's deputies int he unlawful seizure of Jack Noble and several sheriff's continued abuse of power to revoke LTCFs is evidence that the effort to grant Sheriffs' offices more power is premature.

Post imported post

They have to respond within 5 days, which it appears they did. They can then extend the time-limit in order to "search" for and "collect" records.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Statkowski wrote:
    They are supposed to respond within five working days.
    Section 3.4(b) - Upon receipt of a written request for access, if a non-Commonwealth agency determines that one of the following applies:

(3) a timely response to the request for access cannot be accompanied due to bona fide and specified staffing limitations;

(4) a legal review is necessary to determine whether the record is a public record subject to access under this act;

the non-Commonwealth agency shall send written notice to the requester within five business days of the non-Commonwealth agency's receipt of the request notifying the requester that the request for access is being reviewed, the reason for the review and a reasonable date that a response is expected to be provided.

Most places charge twenty-five cents a page.
    If they provide such a letter to this effect, it's a totally valid reason for a continuance. They can drag their feet as long as they want; all it will do is make a judge angry enough to sign a court order forcing the State to release the information. If they do not provide such a letter, all the complainant has to do is tell it to the judge.

Post imported post

A "reasonable date" has been generally viewed upon as within 30 days of the request. More than 30 days? It very well might take a court order to comply.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Statkowski wrote:
    SNIP
    What could possibly necessitate legal review? Are there not already exceptions written into the Code on what is exempt from release?

Better put that one on the list for tune-ups to the Code when the legislature next meets.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I have not been able to read the attachment but am wondering why the topic refers to the city of Lebanon- shouldn't requests for information address the county?

Post imported post

ne1 wrote:
    I have not been able to read the attachment
    Why not? it is an adobe file - your Adobe Acrobat should be able to read it.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    ne1 wrote:
    I have not been able to read the attachment
    Why not? it is an adobe file - your Adobe Acrobat should be able to read it.
    Error message:

"There was a problem reading this document (9)"

Post imported post

I didn't have any problem.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I recommend that anyone who has not done so recently completely uninstall their current Adobe Reader and then download & install Adobe Reader 9. I could not upgrade from 8 to 9 using the internal update in the old version; I had to do a full uninstalll and then install the new version.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

ne1 wrote:
    I have not been able to read the attachment but am wondering why the topic refers to the city of Lebanon- shouldn't requests for information address the county?
    The sheriff revoked the license, but the complaint went through the city, and I believe the park is in the city as well. I think he wants any 911 calls or any correspondence that took place at the City PD or the city offices.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Thanx for the summary. My apologies for straying OT but it seems adobe no longer provides support for my old OS. One of these days I'm gonna hafta get me one of them thar new fangled 'puterz.

Post imported post

ne1 wrote:
    Thanx for the summary. My apologies for straying OT but it seems adobe no longer provides support for my old OS. One of these days I'm gonna hafta get me one of them thar new fangled 'puterz.
    Adobe provides free readers - just download a new one.