• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Lebanon "slow rolls" Right to Know Act Request re Meleanie Hain's LTCF rev

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Gee - too bad they are going to have their lawyer sit on this request for 3 weeks - by that time Meleanie's hearing will be over!

Should it really take 3 weeks to review some emails and memos??

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

They are supposed to respond within five working days.
Section 3.4(b) - Upon receipt of a written request for access, if a non-Commonwealth agency determines that one of the following applies:

(3) a timely response to the request for access cannot be accompanied due to bona fide and specified staffing limitations;

(4) a legal review is necessary to determine whether the record is a public record subject to access under this act;

the non-Commonwealth agency shall send written notice to the requester within five business days of the non-Commonwealth agency's receipt of the request notifying the requester that the request for access is being reviewed, the reason for the review and a reasonable date that a response is expected to be provided.

Most places charge twenty-five cents a page.

ne1

imported post

I've recently noticed sheriffs are circulating a petitionwhich seeks to grant them more arrest powers in Pennsylvania, even though they cannot seem to manage their current duties.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ne1 wrote:
I've recently noticed sheriffs are circulating a petitionwhich seeks to grant them more arrest powers in Pennsylvania, even though they cannot seem to manage their current duties.
I think the involvement of Sheriff's deputies int he unlawful seizure of Jack Noble and several sheriff's continued abuse of power to revoke LTCFs is evidence that the effort to grant Sheriffs' offices more power is premature.

HyDef

imported post

They have to respond within 5 days, which it appears they did. They can then extend the time-limit in order to "search" for and "collect" records.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
They are supposed to respond within five working days.
Section 3.4(b) - Upon receipt of a written request for access, if a non-Commonwealth agency determines that one of the following applies:

(3) a timely response to the request for access cannot be accompanied due to bona fide and specified staffing limitations;

(4) a legal review is necessary to determine whether the record is a public record subject to access under this act;

the non-Commonwealth agency shall send written notice to the requester within five business days of the non-Commonwealth agency's receipt of the request notifying the requester that the request for access is being reviewed, the reason for the review and a reasonable date that a response is expected to be provided.

Most places charge twenty-five cents a page.
If they provide such a letter to this effect, it's a totally valid reason for a continuance. They can drag their feet as long as they want; all it will do is make a judge angry enough to sign a court order forcing the State to release the information. If they do not provide such a letter, all the complainant has to do is tell it to the judge.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
SNIP

What could possibly necessitate legal review? Are there not already exceptions written into the Code on what is exempt from release?

Better put that one on the list for tune-ups to the Code when the legislature next meets.

ne1

imported post

I have not been able to read the attachment but am wondering why the topic refers to the city of Lebanon- shouldn't requests for information address the county?

ne1

imported post

Mike wrote:
ne1 wrote:
I have not been able to read the attachment
Why not? it is an adobe file - your Adobe Acrobat should be able to read it.

Error message:

"There was a problem reading this document (9)"

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

I recommend that anyone who has not done so recently completely uninstall their current Adobe Reader and then download & install Adobe Reader 9. I could not upgrade from 8 to 9 using the internal update in the old version; I had to do a full uninstalll and then install the new version.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ne1 wrote:
I have not been able to read the attachment but am wondering why the topic refers to the city of Lebanon- shouldn't requests for information address the county?
The sheriff revoked the license, but the complaint went through the city, and I believe the park is in the city as well. I think he wants any 911 calls or any correspondence that took place at the City PD or the city offices.

ne1

imported post

Thanx for the summary. My apologies for straying OT but it seems adobe no longer provides support for my old OS. One of these days I'm gonna hafta get me one of them thar new fangled 'puterz.:(

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ne1 wrote:
Thanx for the summary. My apologies for straying OT but it seems adobe no longer provides support for my old OS. One of these days I'm gonna hafta get me one of them thar new fangled 'puterz.:(
Adobe provides free readers - just download a new one.