• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It Finally Happened

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

As some of you may know, but most don't, I manage a house for homeless veterans. We get all kinds through here. Most make it through the program, but some don't.

Earlier this year we had to ask a resident to leave. He'd been here for about a year before it started becoming apparent that he had some mental problems. To be specific, we believe he's an undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. He has all of the signs, but we couldn't get him to see a doctor to be evaluated. When he started accusing myself and his case manager of being part of a well organized plot to destroy him we had to ask him to leave. We tried to get him into another program, but he refused and found his own lodgings, not leaving a forwarding address.

Flash forward to last night. At about 9:40 I received a call on my cell phone. He didn't identify himself, but his voice is pretty distinctive. He told me I'm dead, but I just don't know it yet. He included the case manager in this threat as well. THEN he went on to say that he'd anally raped the case manager's daughter (she turned 1 last weekend) and he hopes she dies.

I really don't think he's going to follow up on any of this, but rest assured that my MilPro .40 will be by my side EVERY time I go out.

compmanio365

imported post

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Doug here.......I'd go ahead and remove everything you just posted and call the proper people to make sure this is put down on paper......and hell, if you can go through the process of a restraining order, it would help if anything did happen, give you a better case. Either way, you need to save that voicemail and file a report with the local PD, something.....you need to cover your ass......

3/325

imported post

Definitely get law enforcement involved, whether or not they are able to help is irrelevant. You need to start a papertrail showing how you did everything you could prior to using force.

I wouldn't bother tough-talking with a paranoid-schiz. Threats and defensive posturing don't really work well on people who have a diminished capacity for clear reasoning.

j2l3

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Doug here.......I'd go ahead and remove everything you just posted and call the proper people to make sure this is put down on paper......and hell, if you can go through the process of a restraining order, it would help if anything did happen, give you a better case. Either way, you need to save that voicemail and file a report with the local PD, something.....you need to cover your ass......

While I agree that a Restraining Order would strengthen a case, it has no strength in the courts until it is served on the respondent. If you can't find him, it can't be served. Also, it won't be input to the state crime computer until is is served.

The courts will require that you prove he knew about the order, or they won't view it as a violation.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

3/325 wrote:
Definitely get law enforcement involved, whether or not they are able to help is irrelevant. You need to start a papertrail showing how you did everything you could prior to using force.

I wouldn't bother tough-talking with a paranoid-schiz. Threats and defensive posturing don't really work well on people who have a diminished capacity for clear reasoning.

I'm not tough-talking with the guy. I know he's unstable and that to do so would be dangerous.

Also, I'd already decided to head for the PD today to get this on the record. I firmly believe in establishing that paper trail.

tricityguy

imported post

If you are required to exercise deadly force and against this individual nemesis of yours then the last sentence of your post may be your sentence.
Really? Admitting you're carrying a gun because someone is making death threats against you and you're afraid for your life will result in you charged with murder should the worst happen?

I completely disagree. If anything, I believe it would lend support to his case.

Decoligny

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
If you are required to exercise deadly force and against this individual nemesis of yours then the last sentence of your post may be your sentence.
Really? Admitting you're carrying a gun because someone is making death threats against you and you're afraid for your life will result in you charged with murder should the worst happen?

I completely disagree. If anything, I believe it would lend support to his case.

If you will notice, he edited his post shortly after the first response to his post. He could have had something in the post that you are unaware of and that he removed upon advice of the first response.

If he posted as a last sentence: "If he comes near me I will put two rounds in his chest and when he falls to the ground I'll execute him by putting one in his skull" (PURELY HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE ONLY)...then the statement in the first response of "then the last sentence of you post may be your sentence" make sense as he could possibly be executed for premeditated murder.

tricityguy

imported post

If you will notice, he edited his post shortly after the first response to his post.
Ah, got it. I missed that. I assumed Doug was talking about the statement of keeping a weapon by his side any time he goes out. My bad, nothing to see here, move along... :lol:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tricityguy wrote:

My bad, guys. I did indeed remove a statement from the end of the original post.

The way things stand right now:

1. Changed the locks

2. Filed a police report to begin the paper trail on this guy.

3. Will take out a restraining order tomorrow.

4. Broadcasting to all concerned about the phone call, just in case.

I really don't think he'll take things any further. I just have to act as if he will. It's a real pain in the keester.

Edit: Removed question

3/325

imported post

Bookman wrote:
3/325 wrote:
I wouldn't bother tough-talking with a paranoid-schiz...

I'm not tough-talking with the guy. I know he's unstable and that to do so would be dangerous.
I thought I read something in your post to the effect of (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I told him I had a gun and if he tried anything he'd be in for a nasty surprise."

That's what I was referring to with my "tough-talk" remark.

Anyway, glad to hear you started the paperwork. Documentation doesn't come with guarantees, but it sure doesn't hurt. Hope you (and his case mgr's family) remain safe and alert. Hopefully this guy will either get help before he does anything, or get put away for damaging property instead of people.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I never even mentioned the pistol to him. What I'd said, but only in the post, was that my pistol would be with me at all times and that if he tried anything he'd be in for a surprise.

He left before I bought the pistol and doesn't even know that I have it.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Since it is a recording, definitly get the police involved. +1 to restraining order.
Yeah, a restraining order has stopped how many guys intent on harming or killing someone? Lets try ZERO! A waste of time and effort.

compmanio365

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Since it is a recording, definitly get the police involved. +1 to restraining order.
Yeah, a restraining order has stopped how many guys intent on harming or killing someone? Lets try ZERO! A waste of time and effort.
It's not because it will actually stop the person from pulling anything they were going to anyway, that's what the gun is for. The restraining order is just one more plus to your side in the inevitable trial to follow a self defense shooting.......you can show proof that this person was intent on severe bodily harm or outright killing you. It shows that a judge agreed with your assessment that this was a dangerous person and you had to shoot him before he killed you or others.

just_a_car

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
It's not because it will actually stop the person from pulling anything they were going to anyway, that's what the gun is for. The restraining order is just one more plus to your side in the inevitable trial to follow a self defense shooting.......you can show proof that this person was intent on severe bodily harm or outright killing you. It shows that a judge agreed with your assessment that this was a dangerous person and you had to shoot him before he killed you or others.
+1.

Bear 45/70

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
If it is truely a self defense shooting, there will be no trial.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The police report and the restraining order are simply to lay the groundwork and show there's a problem in the first place. It also shows that I'm trying to take care of the problem WITHOUT putting a bullet in his brainpan.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Bookman wrote:
The police report and the restraining order are simply to lay the groundwork and show there's a problem in the first place. It also shows that I'm trying to take care of the problem WITHOUT putting a bullet in his brainpan.
You are the problem, as head shots are for idiots that have no business carrying a BB gun much less the real thing. This isn't a movie or a TV show. Head shots are stupid at best for real life.