• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It Finally Happened

compmanio365

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
If it is truely a self defense shooting, there will be no trial.
Sorry Bear, but history has shown that in many situations, it takes a trial to prove a person's innocence in a SD shooting. Shouldn't be that way, but it is, far too often.

Bear 45/70

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
If it is truely a self defense shooting, there will be no trial.
Sorry Bear, but history has shown that in many situations, it takes a trial to prove a person's innocence in a SD shooting. Shouldn't be that way, but it is, far too often.
Not in recent history it hasn't. I know of two SD shootings with no charges ever filed. This is since the Washington State Supreme Courts "stand your ground" decision.

compmanio365

imported post

That is true, things seem to have been better in recent years when it comes to prosecutors filing charges against SD cases. I personally would still rather be safe than sorry when it comes to the possibility of facing an overzealous prosecutor.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Since it is a recording, definitly get the police involved. +1 to restraining order.
Yeah, a restraining order has stopped how many guys intent on harming or killing someone? Lets try ZERO! A waste of time and effort.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that it is a waste of time and effort, Bear and here's why. Self-defense is, AFAIK and have been able to determine, even in castle doctrine states, an affirmative defense rather than an absolute defense. In other words, the burden of proving self-defense is on the defendant if an over zealous prosecutor decides to prosecute the case. Having a restraining order, while in and of itself will not, as we know and you pointed out stop the BG from coming after you, it does lay part of the foundation for an affirmative self-defense legal defense. It lays proof that you were concerned about being harmed by the BG and that such concern rose to the level that a judge agreed that there was potential for harm and therefore granted a restraining order. The very fact that you would go through the time and effort to obtain it is evidence that you needed it. The very fact that the BG violated it to get close enough for you to need lethal force shows mal-intent and an illegal act on the BG's part.

So, while I agree with your first 2 sentences, I disagree with your conclusion on the off chance it would end up in court due to the vagaries of the legal system and the numerous and various prosecutors throughout the country.

Bear 45/70

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Since it is a recording, definitly get the police involved. +1 to restraining order.
Yeah, a restraining order has stopped how many guys intent on harming or killing someone? Lets try ZERO! A waste of time and effort.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that it is a waste of time and effort, Bear and here's why. Self-defense is, AFAIK and have been able to determine, even in castle doctrine states, an affirmative defense rather than an absolute defense. In other words, the burden of proving self-defense is on the defendant if an over zealous prosecutor decides to prosecute the case. Having a restraining order, while in and of itself will not, as we know and you pointed out stop the BG from coming after you, it does lay part of the foundation for an affirmative self-defense legal defense. It lays proof that you were concerned about being harmed by the BG and that such concern rose to the level that a judge agreed that there was potential for harm and therefore granted a restraining order. The very fact that you would go through the time and effort to obtain it is evidence that you needed it. The very fact that the BG violated it to get close enough for you to need lethal force shows mal-intent and an illegal act on the BG's part.

So, while I agree with your first 2 sentences, I disagree with your conclusion on the off chance it would end up in court due to the vagaries of the legal system and the numerous and various prosecutors throughout the country.
Gee, somewhere along the line YOUR Constitution must have been changed from "Innocent until proven guilty" to "Guilty until you prove yourself Innocent". At least with your contention. But mine hasn't.

David.Car

imported post

I would go with the restraining order that way if they call and leave threats again, or approach you with out trying to kill you, there can be consequences in that manner.

It is to help potentially have the guy arrested if he continues to mess with you without going to the extreme of attempting to follow through with his threats.

You won't find any argument about a restraining order doing nothing if he does try to kill you here. But it is always nice to have that paper trail, and ability to enforce a physical distance requirement.

compmanio365

imported post

Bear, you just aren't getting it. Nobody here is saying you have to get a restraining order to make a self defense shooting any more justified. But since it costs nothing, and may lend support to your defense if you must go to trial for shooting someone, why not get it? You are getting worked up over nothing. :quirky

tricityguy

imported post

Gee, somewhere along the line YOUR Constitution must have been changed from "Innocent until proven guilty" to "Guilty until you prove yourself Innocent". At least with your contention. But mine hasn't.
Yes it has, you just haven't admitted it yet. There are cases upon cases of innocent homeowners who were unable to prove themselves innocent in a self-defense situation and went to jail. In so many cases, the police and the prosecutors have taken a stance of, "It's us against the people," as if we're all criminals that need a little state discipline.

Our constitution has been overrun for decades. Local authorities willfully and intentionally violate their own local laws, state and federal laws, and state and federal constitutions. They do it daily all across this country and they get away with it because the odds are always stacked heavily in their favor.

Bear 45/70

imported post

kparker wrote:
You are getting worked up over nothing.

Well, that's never happened before.
I'm getting worked up over a system that no longer works because the lawyers, judges and politicians have perverted it to their purpose, rather than playing the game as the rules are written. And it seems it is OK by you guys because you will play along with their crap. Restraining orders don't work. So why do they even exist?

kparker

imported post

Restraining orders don't work.

You clearly think "work" means "protects you from harm".

The rest of the folks in this discussion think "work" means "bolsters your legal case".

If and until we can bridge that gap, there's really nothing we can say to each other on this particular subject.

Bear 45/70

imported post

kparker wrote:

The rest of the folks in this discussion think "work" means "bolsters your legal case".

If and until we can bridge that gap, there's really nothing we can say to each other on this particular subject.
You shouldn't have to bolster your legal case, there shouldn't be a case to start with. Your agreeing with this moronic ideais getting people killed on a regular basis.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
kparker wrote:

You shouldn't have to bolster your legal case, there shouldn't be a case to start with. Your agreeing with this moronic ideais getting people killed on a regular basis.
I think we are getting sideways here for no reason, Bear. Most of us are coming at this issue, as I did above, from a purely practical, realistic perspective. You, on the other hand, are coming at it from a philosophical and theoretical perspective. I agree with you philosophically and in theory. It should not be that way. Less than 100 years ago in many parts of this country simply having witnesses that someone threatened your life was sufficient for an affirmative defense in court against a premeditated, proactive killing of the person making the threat. Frankly I don't have a problem with that. If the law still worked that way we wouldn't have all these nutballs out there posturing and threatening people because they would know that their posturing and threats would be met with justifiable, proactive deadly force.

Unfortunately for our freedoms and our constitutional protections, that is no longer the reality. Still though, the concept of providing an affirmative defense against charges arising from the use of lethal force in self-defense dates back over 200 years. This is not a new thing. The amount of evidence the defendant needs seems to have increased. The strictness of the laws has increased. But the concept has not. A restraining order, like it or not, is one tool available in the modern legal system to defend one's self against certain charges. While we can agree that it shouldn't be, that doesn't change the fact that it is.

Triple Tap

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
kparker wrote:

I agree with you Bear, you shouldn't have to bolster your case, but in this real gray world we are living with it is a reality of the need and fore site to help yourself when in this situation. I know you already know this, you ( and many more ) don't like it. In a Black and white, Law vs Unlawful world, your way would be right. It just isn't.

We all know that Restraining orders don't work. Personally I think they just add flames to a fire and sometimes are the cause of the boil over. Someone that is bent out a shape to start with and then gets served papers is bound to just make him/her in a worse mood. Snap goes the twig.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
kparker wrote:

I agree with you Bear, you shouldn't have to bolster your case, but in this real gray world we are living with it is a reality of the need and fore site to help yourself when in this situation. I know you already know this, you ( and many more ) don't like it. In a Black and white, Law vs Unlawful world, your way would be right. It just isn't.

We all know that Restraining orders don't work. Personally I think they just add flames to a fire and sometimes are the cause of the boil over. Someone that is bent out a shape to start with and then gets served papers is bound to just make him/her in a worse mood. Snap goes the twig.
My way was the way the Founding Fathers envisioned. Lawyers have destroyed it in the name of making themselves money.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Triple Tap wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
kparker wrote:

My way was the way the Founding Fathers envisioned. Lawyers have destroyed it in the name of making themselves money.

And that is exactly the point. Because of all the lawyers and the sheeple it's necessary that I get a restraining order in order to show that the threat (if there really is one and he's not just playing games) exists.

If he DOES get violent, and I DO have to resort to using my pistol to defend myself, it can be shown that I tried to stop him by other, more peaceful means.

I hate it as much as you do, but I have to use the law to defend myself FROM the law.

What a pisser, huh?

tricityguy

imported post

Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice here. We either play by their rules or we're screwed. As much as I don't like playing by their BS rules, I'll do it because I'd rather not find myself locked in a cell. Meanwhile I'll do whatever I can to change their rules by voting and petitioning and protesting and writing letters, etc.

Fact is, a restraining order is a great way to play by their rules. I wouldn't hesitate to take one out if I found myself in a similar situation.