• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Pants - Which do you like?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

WHAT? :what:

Wranglers... no belt... no skivvies. That tactic has always worked! :p

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I've never had the propper tactical pants, but I have had a few pairs of their BDU trousers. They seemed to be made well, but nothing extraordinary. I have a pair of the 5.11 tactical pants, but I don't wear them much anymore. I didn't like how much they tapered down to the ankle, they're overpriced, and they LOVE grass stains. I've also noticed a pattern with people that wear 5.11 type gear. Either they're wearing them for work, or they wreak of "tacti-cool" and are probably carrying. On the other hand, they do seem to be made well, and aside from the grass stains, they're very tough.

I guess when it comes down to it, a pair of jeans from wal-mart does just as good for me as anything :). If I had to choose, I'd probably try propper before I went back to 5.11.

Bill in VA

imported post

No need to pretend I'm a mall ninja or chairborne ranger when I'm not. I'm not a cop, so I don't carry mace, 'cuffs, radio, a blow-out kit ofcompress bandages, tampons and Celox, or any of that other stuff.If I can't fit my pocket knife, wallet, and cell phone in my pockets I'll buy a purse (or some "tactical pants"...I don't see much difference.) My pistol goes on a belt or in an IWB holster.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have several pairs of LL Bean hiking pants that are similar in many ways that I like very much, especially at the range and when doing formal firearms training, besides when hiking. They have numerous pockets. They have cords in the pant cuffs to adjust them loose or to close them tightly on hiking/combat boots. They have zip off legs to make them into shorts. They have zippers up the outside of the lower leg to allow the easy removal/donning of the pants legs without removing shoes/boots if switching between shorts and pants. They are also heavy enough for reasonable protection and warmth while being light weight and very fast drying if they get wet through activities or you have to wash them out in a sink and dry overnight.

I have looked at tactical pants and am still considering a pair or two. The pairs I have seen are heavier material than the hiking pants and the pockets go further down the legs as they don't have the length restriction caused by the zip off lower pant legs. In the meantime though, what I have works for me unless it is pretty cold out.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
Levi's...501 straight-legs when I can find 'em.

No need to pretend I'm a mall ninja or chairborne ranger when I'm not. I'm not a cop, so I don't carry mace, 'cuffs, radio, a blow-out kit of compress bandages, tampons and Celox, or any of that other stuff. If I can't fit my pocket knife, wallet, and cell phone in my pockets I'll buy a purse (or some "tactical pants"...I don't see much difference.) My pistol goes on a belt or in an IWB holster.

Bah! I got tired of those junky Levi's falling to pieces after only a few days of rough use.

Wranglers FTW.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

I wear "Rustler" jeans, when I wear jeans, because they are <$15 a pair...and they are made by Wrangler with typical Wrangler quality.

Mostly wear BDUs though...they're just more comfortable and convenient....never saw the need for "tactical pants"...especially given what they cost.

Mike M.

imported post

If im wearing some type of "tactical" pants, its usually just the 15 dollar a pair BDU's from the local Army-Navy store. They work just as good for me. Had a pair of the 5.11 pants for a station uniform for my FD, and while they were nice, just not what i needed.