• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Pants - Which do you like?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

machron1 wrote:
Which ever one doesn't make my tactical ass look fat?

:lol:
My tactical ass isn't fat. It's just that over the years of office work I have developed powerful muscles there allowing me to sit for long periods of time waiting for LEOs to run my information for peforming a perfectly legal act. :p

cREbralFIX

imported post

I have several sets of 511 tactical pants...and I hate them.

Oh, I like the pockets and what not.

It's just that the belt loops are too wide and incorrectly placed. They interfere with both strong side and appendix carry.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Wranglers most of the time for me, either the everyday 'comfort series' or the classic 13MWZ. I do have a couple different pairs of 'cargo' and 'carpenter' pants/jeans that I wear on occasion depending on what I am doing. The cargo's come in handy when 'fixin stuff', hunting, ranging, etc
I have thought about getting a pair of 'tactical' pants and a pair of BDUs, but neither for daily wear....

JD

imported post

I'm more of a jeans guy, but I tried both the 5.11 brand and the Woolrich brand.

I'd probably try the Proper before buying more 5.11s.

I have one pair of 5.11s and two pairs of the Woolrich Elite pants, I like the quality of the 5.11s better, but the Woolrich pants are cut better and seem to have more room in the crotch, I felt like I was smuggling grapes in the 5.11s.

The Woolrich pants aren't bad, but I have noticed problems with the stitching becoming slightly frayed.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

machron1 wrote:
Which ever one doesn't make my tactical ass look fat?

:lol:

C'mon, it's not much of a tactical ass if nobody can cover behind it... ;-)

I wear BDUs all the time. They're the most comfortable, durable, etc pants ever. If someone wants to call me a mall ninja, I don't care. I've yet to find jeans NOT designed by a man-hater. I refuse to wear them around my knees with my underwear hanging out.

agentw0

imported post

For the most part Tactical Pants are impractical for every day carry unless you are going to the range or are doing some kind of plain clothes training. I own a pair of Propper, 5.11 & Black Hawk. I think that the 5.11's are the most comfortable, but they are probably the most broken in out of the three. Typically I just wear Levi's for everyday wear when carrying also the Urban Up jeans from Kohls are very comfortable as well. Tactical pants in my opinion are way over priced, you can usually get 2 pairs of regular jeans per one pair of Tactial Pants and with a good belt setup you really do not need all the extra pockets.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

ed wrote:
Which do you have/like better and why?

Thanks,

Ed
Every pair of 511's I own has fallen apart, ripped, and faded within the first month. They are crap.

I would rather wear knock-off military BDU's than those 511's... which I do.

adamsesq

imported post

I wear the 5.11 pants and shirts almost daily. I have about 4 pairs of each so they get a pretty good wearing/washing and they have stood up to more than a year of this and look just fine.

-adamsesq

MetalChris

imported post

Bravo Sierra said:
Every pair of 511's I own has fallen apart, ripped, and faded within the first month.

I've got a couple of pair of black 511's and they have faded significantly in only a few washes. I don't have any experience with any other colors.

ghostrider

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Bravo Sierra wrote:
Every pair of 511's I own has fallen apart, ripped, and faded within the first month.

I've got a couple of pair of black 511's and they have faded significantly in only a few washes. I don't have any experience with any other colors.
I bought three pairs of the black 5.11's, and they faded at the first washing. The stitching has started coming out, and they are less than six months old. I can't say they are the best quality, but their customer service is great.

OldManMontgomery

imported post

For basic 'kicking around, general purpose, pretty much all occasion' trousers I usually wear Dickey's work trousers, commonly found at Sears or Orchard Supply Hardware. They come in either tan or black and possibly blue jeans colors. They have a discrete side pocket on the starboard leg and are made sturdily and don't cost a fortune. Belt loops are appropriate for a decent belt and they look good enough for most social events - provided they're clean and not torn up at that point.

I used to wear the Sears work clothes, but those seem to have been discontinued.

bourneshooter

imported post

Have any of you guys tried the Woorich Elite or EOTac pants?

I have several pairs of the Woolrich Elite pants and Like them better than the 5.11s. Woolrich seem to be cut a little more loose in the crotch are - this benefits when your hiking, running, stretching, etc.

EOTac is the new company who makes these pants. There owner designed the Woolrich Elite and after a falling out with Woolrich started a new company. The new pants are even better than woolrich according to the reviews. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a pair to T&E.

EOTac: http://www.eotac.com/?p=16&prodID=202

Woolrich: http://www.rogueelite.net/Woolrich_Elite_Men_s_Cargo_Pants_Style_4429_p/4429.htm