• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citibank takes over Wachovia

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After finding out that Citibank is going to take over all of Wachovia's banking operations
[url]http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=9089607&nav=menu128_1[/url] I contacted Citibank to see how they will handle the lawful carry of firearms issue.

Per Lauren at there 1-800 customer support number, who called a branch manager in Virginia (she did not say which branch), Citibank says as long as you comply with the state laws you can lawfully carry firearms in their branches in Virginia.:celebrate

Does anybody have information or experience that is contrary to this?

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
After finding out that Citibank is going to take over all of Wachovia's banking operations
[url]http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=9089607&nav=menu128_1[/url] I contacted Citibank to see how they will handle the lawful carry of firearms issue.

Per Lauren at there 1-800 customer support number, who called a branch manager in Virginia (she did not say which branch), Citibank says as long as you comply with the state laws you can lawfully carry firearms in their branches in Virginia.:celebrate

stay safe.

skidmark
I may copy this and deliver same with a big smile to every Wachovia branch within reach. (Jumps up and clicks heels!) Actually, I will wait for something more definitive.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
I wish I had a reason to go in a Wachovia today. It would be enjoyable to tell them what the policy is NOW!:lol:

alnitak

imported post

Isn't Citibank/Citicorp the same organization that said they will no longer honor gun and gun-related purchases on their credit cards? If so, I don't trust them!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

alnitak wrote:
Isn't Citibank/Citicorp the same organization that said they will no longer honor gun and gun-related purchases on their credit cards? If so, I don't trust them!

The had a hiccup with some on-line vendors that, AFAIK, has been resolved in favor of the vendors. Seems some pogue at Citi did not understand how on-line purchases were handled and (much like certain members of the Va Crime Commission) though the gun was sent directly from the seller to the purchaser. See:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/citifirst-data-anti-gun-policies-stir-controversy-calls-for-boycott/.

stay safe.

skidmark - soon to be totin' in the bank again :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
alnitak wrote:

The had a hiccup with some on-line vendors that, AFAIK, has been resolved in favor of the vendors. Seems some pogue at Citi did not understand how on-line purchases were handled and (much like certain members of the Va Crime Commission) thought the gun was sent directly from the seller to the purchaser. See:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/citifirst-data-anti-gun-policies-stir-controversy-calls-for-boycott/.

stay safe.

skidmark - soon to be totin' in the bank again :D
Cross your Ts and dot your Is ! It changes the meaning a bit. :)

Yata hey

Glock27Bill

imported post

ed wrote:
they had their chance.. I closed a BIG account with them 2 years ago and they could not believe my reasoning.

Same here.

I came into an inheritance, and they tried to talk me out of taking my money elsewhere.

Same circular logic conversation:

"It's for your safety."

"I'm responsible for my own safety."

It's for your safety."

"Uh, you have had several armed robberies and still no security guards here that I see."

"It's for your safety."

"Goodbye."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
ed wrote:
they had their chance.. I closed a BIG account with them 2 years ago and they could not believe my reasoning.

Same here.

I came into an inheritance, and they tried to talk me out of taking my money elsewhere.

Same circular logic conversation:

"It's for your safety."

"I'm responsible for my own safety."

It's for your safety."

"Uh, you have had several armed robberies and still no security guards here that I see."

"It's for your safety."

"Goodbye."
Its all about their.......errr...your money. And both are safer now. :)

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Presuming everything goes as anticipated, I can't help but wonder if Wachovia/Citibank robberies will decrease as more and more OCers are visible in their branchs.

We'll probably never know as crimes prevented are not crimes - duh.

Yata hey

paramedic70002

imported post

I predict less bank robberies, but I feel for those idiots at BB&T. Now they are the only robber friendly banks in town.

Oh and to the OP, don't stir the stink pot too much, they may go sheep on us and change their policy if they catch wind of this issue...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
I predict less bank robberies, but I feel for those idiots at BB&T. Now they are the only robber friendly banks in town.

Oh and to the OP, don't stir the stink pot too much, they may go sheep on us and change their policy if they catch wind of this issue...
Citibank already has this policy in place we are told - they honor the state laws in which the branch is located. Will all former Wack-ovia now Citibank branch managers get the message right away? Maybe not, but isn't that our job?

Stirring the pot is all right, if you know what is on the bottom . The OP has done his homework and politicing already. Sometimes its not what you know but who you know. :D

Yata hey

paramedic70002

imported post

I supplied the first comment for this article...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/09/qa-what-does-wachovia-buyout-mean-you

Q&A: What does the Wachovia buyout mean to you?
By Tom Shean
The Virginian-Pilot
© September 30, 2008 Wachovia has a major presence throughout Hampton Roads, and the agreement with Citigroup will affect deposits and loans with thousands of consumers.
Q. Is my money safe?
A. Yes. The Treasury Department and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation said that all Wachovia depositors will be protected. For Wachovia customers, the action on Monday “will ensure seamless continuity of service from their bank and full protection for all of their deposits,” FDIC Chairman Sheila Bair said in a statement. “There will be no interruption in services, and bank customers should expect business as usual.”
Q. Do I have to do anything differently if I’m a customer of Wachovia Securities?
A. No. “It’s business as usual,” said Christine Shaw, a Wachovia spokeswoman.
Q. Why did federal regulators push for a sale of Wachovia Bank?
A. Wachovia Bank did not fail, but tight credit conditions and the deterioration of its loan portfolio prompted mounting concern about its safety and soundness.
Q. When will the sale be completed?
A. Wachovia’s agreement with Citigroup still must be approved by Wachovia’s shareholders and by regulators. The transaction is expected to close before year’s end.
Q. What happens to Wachovia Corp.?
A. It will remain a publicly traded company and continue to own the brokerage subsidiary Wachovia Securities and Evergreen Asset Management.
Q. How will Wachovia’s shareholders come out in the transaction?
A. Most will see their holdings sharply reduced. They will receive about $1 of Citigroup common stock for each of their Wachovia shares. That’s down sharply from the $10 closing price for Wachovia’s shares on Friday.
Q. How does the quality of Citigroup’s consumer banking compare with Wachovia’s?
A. In its latest study of bank customer satisfaction, the marketing information service J.D. Power and Associates said that Wachovia had a 729 index in the mid-Atlantic region, a point ahead of the 728 for Citigroup’s Citibank subsidiary. Both fell below the average for the mid-Atlantic region of 730, according to the study, which was released in May. In the Southeast, Wachovia had an index of 747, which was slightly ahead of the 742 average for the region, J.D. Power said.

Q&A Submitted by paramedic70002 on Mon, 09/29/2008 at 11:52 pm. Q: Will I still not be allowed into these banks while carrying a firearm?
A: No. Citigroup complies with applicable state law. It is not illegal to carry a gun into a bank, therefore you will be allowed to carry your gun in these banks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Q&A Submitted by paramedic70002 on Mon, 09/29/2008 at 11:52 pm. Q: Will I still not be allowed into these banks while carrying a firearm?
A:
No. Citigroup complies with applicable state law. It is not illegal to carry a gun into a bank, therefore you will be allowed to carry your gun in these banks.
Confirms the information reported earlier. Thank you.

Yata hey

mobeewan

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
A: No. Citigroup complies with applicable state law. It is not illegal to carry a gun into a bank, therefore you will be allowed to carry your gun in these banks.

I went to the site, but noting indicated who answered the question.

Was it Pilot On line or Citigroup?

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Not long after your question, a similar one was posted, with different, and obviously biased results...

Q: Will you still not be Submitted by Vollie H on Tue, 09/30/2008 at 5:52 am. Q: Will you still not be allowed to carry your gun into the bank?
A: Yes. Citigroup ,as with all businesses, reserves the right to deny you entry onto their property for any reason, let alone for carrying a gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
Not long after your question, a similar one was posted, with different, and obviously biased results...

Q: Will you still not be Submitted by Vollie H on Tue, 09/30/2008 at 5:52 am. Q: Will you still not be allowed to carry your gun into the bank?
A: Yes. Citigroup ,as with all businesses, reserves the right to deny you entry onto their property for any reason, let alone for carrying a gun.
This does not show any bias. They "reserve the right" to do what they want on their private property. This does not change the fact that Citibank honors the laws of the state where each branch is located. Q.E.D. person protection devices are OK in Va.

I see where you asked a similarly worded question and received a a simple, clear, concise answer.

Submitted by paramedic70002 on Mon, 09/29/2008 at 11:52 pm. Q: Will I still not be allowed into these banks while carrying a firearm?

Yata hey

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
bnkrazy wrote:

This does not show any bias. They "reserve the right" to do what they want on their private property. This does not change the fact that Citibank honors the laws of the state where each branch is located. Q.E.D. person protection devices are OK in Va.

Yata hey
I wasn't suggesting Citibank had a bias, just that the way the answer was phrased, to me, seems biased. "Deny you entry onto their property for any reason, let alone for carrying a gun" to me implies the person writing this statement doesn't like guns. That's just how it came off to me. But, as mentioned, I don't even know if these are "official" responses from Citi, or if it is just the article author answering questions.

I don't have a Wachovia account, so the point is moot for me.

Sleepless

imported post

Looks like it might not happen, I just came across this article from Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/03/wells-fargo-wachovia-markets-equity-cx_md_1003markets14.html

Market Scan
Wells Woos Wachovia Away From Citigroup
Maurna Desmond, 10.03.08, 10:37 AM ET

Wells Fargo joined the elite club of cash-rich and hungry banks when it proposed snapping up credit-crunched Wachovia for a song.

Even as the congressional vote on the $700.0 billion financial bailout package loomed, San Francisco-based Wells Fargo (nyse: WFC - news - people ) announced that it will acquire troubled Wachovia (nyse: WB - news - people ), without any government help, in an all-stock transaction valued at $15.1 billion. The whirlwind wedding would appear to come as a surprise ending to Citigroup (nyse: C - news - people )’s brief courtship of the North Carolina-based thrift. (See "Citigroup Swallows Wachovia.") But Citigroup may yet challenge the deal, on the grounds that it had an exclusivity agreement.

The Wells Fargo-Wachovia coupling follows a string of pairings between well-capitalized financial institutions and wobbly ones, as ordinary competitive pressures have been exacerbated by the financial crisis on Wall Street to create a market environment in which only the strong survive. (See "The Invisible Hand Shows Up.")

Investors were delighted with the deal, which still needs Federal Reserve approval, pushing Wachovia up by 76.7%, or $2.99, to $6.90, during morning trading in New York. Usually shareholders flee from the buyer when an acquisition is announced, but Wall Street seemed to think that Wells Fargo had made a shrewd move, adding 6.9%, or $2.42, to $35.16, in trading at the open. Meanwhile, the failed suitor, Citi group, was spurned by investors as well, losing 14.0%, or $3.07, to $19.46.

In the transaction, Wells Fargo will get all of Wachovia's businesses and obligations, including its preferred stock and debts. When JPMorgan Chase (nyse: JPM - news - people ) bought Washington Mutual for $2.2 billion last Friday, WaMu bondholders were not quite so lucky. (See "Once Again, JPMorgan Mops Up The Mess.") JPMorgan boss Jamie Dimon, who acquired troubled Bear Stearns for a fire-sale price in March, just waited until the thrift buckled to step in take the firm's best parts.

Regulators are likely to be pleased with the match because this deal, unlike Citi's failed bid, did not involve any taxpayer liability. In the case of Citigroup's proposal, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. agreed to cover any losses beyond $42.0 billion on Wachovia's $312.0 billion loan portfolio, but the bank also said it would issue $12.0 billion in preferred stock and warrants to the FDIC.

Wells Fargo said that integrating Wachovia will cost roughly $10.0 billion and that it intends to raise up to $20.0 billion, primarily by issuing new common stock. Wachovia has $2.2 million worth of shares outstanding.

Wachovia shareholders will receive 0.1991 shares of Wells Fargo for every share of Wachovia stock they own, valuing Wachovia at about $7.00 per share--a hefty premium to Thursday’s close that quickly evaporated at the start of trading Friday.