• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

RogueWarrior

imported post

Hi there guys and girls just a question on I'm on my way to getting my gun. And I'm starting to think about what I would do If a situation comes up such as If I out with the wife and someone starting shooting and what I would do does anyone else do this

Sonora Rebel

imported post

If they're not shooting at YOU... Take cover and assess what's going on... Discreetly. There's too many 'what if' scenarios to even begin to discuss. You have no obligation toplay vigilante... nor should you.

rodbender

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
If they're not shooting at YOU... Take cover and assess what's going on... Discreetly. There's too many 'what if' scenarios to even begin to discuss. You have no obligation toplay vigilante... nor should you.
+1 Sonora Rebel

LEO 229

imported post

My personal policy off duty while with my family.... ESCAPE!!!

Call 9-1-1

Once my family is safe..

Observe from a distance and return if needed to save the lives of others.

Sorry people.... my family comes first.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Call 9-1-1

Once my family is safe..

Totally agree, and unless you've seen the entire situation unfold, going back and shooting the shooter may be a mistake. They could have been fighting back against an attacker. Best not to get involved unless you're certain innocent lives are at risk.

LEO 229

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
Totally agree, and unless you've seen the entire situation unfold, going back and shooting the shooter may be a mistake. They could have been fighting back against an attacker. Best not to get involved unless you're certain innocent lives are at risk.

Exactly!!

Could be an undercover detective involved and he is trying to take down a dealer who tried to rip him off.

Of the two.... WHO is he good guy? You just cannot tell.

But if you see someone attacking an obviously innocent person... you still need to be cautious in your actions.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Actually, I wonder how often, or if ever, someone was shot by a confused citizen after a justifiable shooting. It seems like the media would harp on such a story. It's my first instinct to get away from gunfire, but I'm sure there are a handful of idiots out there itching to be a "hero".

Dustin

imported post

RogueAussie wrote:
what I would do If a situation comes up such as If I out with the wife and someone starting shooting and what I would do does anyone else do this

If Someone starts shooting; At You, Other People, In the Air.

What your doing is normal, It's called Pro-Active Tactical Thinking.

In this situation, as I've think it's already been said, Take Cover, protect your wife and slowly try to fall back to safety.

Now I will tell you something about Tactical Thinking. It's good to study up and listen to others opinions. BUT

When the time comes for you to act b/c of a life threatening situation, you will indeed more than likely NOT have to think about it. You will simply act on impulse.

A Safe bet is to always think of yourself and your family FIRST. & ONLY !

In this day and age you could be fried by the very person you might have saved.

So think for YOU & YOURS.

AnaxImperator

imported post

I've thought about how I would act / reactif I (with/without Wife) am present when;

~ a shooting occurs within /outside my immediate vicinity

~ someone starts brandishing a gun at nobody in particular in public

~ an armed-robbery is initiated by one or more people inside the business I'm currently patronizing

~ someone not obviously / obviouslyarmed begins threatening me for no apparent reason; or as a robbery attempt, or road-rage incident

~ another citizen in my immediate vicinity is being threatened by someone not obviously / obviously armed for no apparent reason; as a robbery attempt; road-rage incident

Basically, I will not engage unless I am being directly threatened or fired upon. If another citizen is being directly threatened or obviously in the process of being robbed, and the BG has a deadly weapon on the victim, I very likely will engage if possible without endangering the victim. If I'm in the vicinity of a shootout not involving me directly, I'll take cover and leave ASAP. A person brandishing a gun or other weapon is something for the cops to take care of, but I'll try to keep an eye on the situation from a protected position.

As for the armed-robbery of a business that I'm patronizing; leaving the AOposthasteis my first priority. If I'm fired at directly or a firearm is pointed directly at me, hopefully my rounds will land first.

If someone is road-raged and somehow is able to approach me; I'll stay in my vehicle, lock the doors / roll up windows, call the police, and try to leave if possible. If I leave and the road-rager insists on following me, I'll drive to a very public place where LEOs are likely to be present, or even directly to the police-station (that'd be a hoot). If I'm somehow blocked in, I'll ready my sidearm but keep it out of view so that the road-rager cannot tell LEOs that I brandished it.

All those reactions are what I'd prefer to do in a perfect scenario. But Mr. Murphy loves to exert his law upon such occasions, so I cannot say exactly how I'll respond in a given situation as a BG's reactions are as a whole completely unpredictable.

In any case though, I'm going to try my utmost to call law-enforcement before the BG does.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

The 'what if' game is a great tool in my opinion. It can help you make security decisions around the house and out in the world. And yes, I think a little role playing does go a long way. Ever try to break into your own house? I locked my keys inside one time and was forced to try and find a way in. Took about two minutes to decide the fastest way in was the push the air conditioning unit inside and crawl through the window. That was a major security breach I'd never even thought of before.

As far as hazardous life threatening situations, I keep my plans simple. If someone breaks in while me and the wifey are sleeping, the gun comes out of the nightstand, the cell phone gets flipped open, barricade situation ensues. Hopefully the cops get there quick enough to make a difference. If the bedroom door gets opened up, so does the man standing in it.

As far as outside my own home, it's hard to make plans. There are too many situations ranging from gunfire heard at a distance, to drugged up maniac with gun wreaking havoc ten feet in front of you. If you have time I'd say the "get your family and your butt to cover, get 9-1-1 on the line, keep weapon on the ready if needed, wait for the cavalry."

Of course that isn't always possible, so the backup plan if there is imminent threat to me or the loved ones, deploy weapon, safety off, as many shots as required until the threat is gone, flip phone and call 9-1-1 to get the police and ambulance on the way, hang up, dial a lawyer.

ODA 226

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Call 9-1-1

Once my family is safe..

be a good witness

Carnivore

imported post

RogueAussie wrote:
Hi there guys and girls just a question on I'm on my way to getting my gun. And I'm starting to think about what I would do If a situation comes up such as If I out with the wife and someone starting shooting and what I would do does anyone else do this
Without the theatrics, I'm constantly verballyrehearsing what ifs with the wife and my stepsonconcerning the home environment,if outside the home I'd doLike Leo 229 says.