• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ann Arbor Get-Together, Official Thread

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Being a U of M student, I thought an OC get-together would be a great thing to do in Ann Arbor. It's centrally located, and possesses a population that is in severe need of some education on the rights that we all have.

Where: Wheeler Park. You can see it on the map, here: http://tinyurl.com/4j79ek
Here's a description, from the Detroit News: "The park contains a playground, restroom building with water fountain, a walking/running track, basketball court, plaza with benches, picnic shelter with picnic tables and grills, an open field area, and an asphalt walk connection to all of the activities."

The downside is that there's no parking lot, so you'll have to find street parking, or use the structure down Main Street. The metered lot at the Amtrak station across the street is also an option.

There is a possibility of a post-gathering cigar or other smokable at Masion Edwards Cigar shop. The owner said we are always welcome.

When: October 12, 1:00 PM

Supplies:
Dogs/Buns - Venator
Brats/Buns - Venator
Burgers/Buns - SpringerXDacp
Other Grillables - Rogue9er
Charcoal - SmallWhiteBox
Potato Salad - TheSzerdi
Various Sides - Venator
Baked Beans -
MrsRuger45
A Dessert - MrsRuger45 (I hope)
Chips - SIG13
Condiments - Venator, SpringerXDacp
Cooler - Rogue9er, SpringerXDacp
Ice - Rogue9er, SpringerXDacp
Water -
Tech411, SpringerXDacp
Pop - SpringerXDacp, smellslikemichigan
Napkins/P-Towells - dougwg
Paper Plates - dougwg
Plastic Ware - TheSzerdi
Video Camera/Camera -
Signs - dougwg
Paper handouts - Venator and Glockingbird
Garbage bags - Rogue9er

Map: http://tinyurl.com/4j79ek

Confirmed Attendees:
Rogue9er
SIG13
dougwg
figgypower
TheSzerdi
MrsRuger45
Matt'G
THway
Venator +2
Tech411
SpringerXDacp
smellslikemichigan
SmallWhiteBox
rudedude
LaVere
ruger45
robertgreen
warlockmatized +2
ramblinfeaver
Yohan
Glockingbird
Taxwhat +1

Possible Attendees:
cmdio
DanM

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I vote vote for Oct. 4th or Oct 11th. Depending on day I will have up to three people.

I can bring meat to grill and a dish to pass.

warlockmatized

imported post

figgypower wrote:
Prior UM student, current EMU student, but I live in Ann Arbor. I'll vote for Oct. 11-12 or Oct. 18-19 as a very likely attendee. If anyone would like, I can just go to Wheeler Park and grab some pictures for all to see. Here are some already available:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=%22Wheeler+Park%22+Ann+Arbor&w=all
Add me as a possible please. Not quite sure just yet, family stuff going on. Will update as i know more.

cmdio

imported post

U of M alum here too, not too long ago, class of '07. Always looking for an excuse to get back to AA, so here's a good one. My schedule is such that I cannot confirm right now, and most likely no more than a few days in advance of the event, but I am a definite possible.

I would love to maybe as a group all head over into Kerrytown, I cant even imagine the looks on faces as we all line up at Zingerman's or walked through the farmer's market.

Don't know about the prox/cons of alerting the Michigan Daily, I remember seeing the State News article. But I have heard there's no such thing as bad publicity. I don't think I still have any contacts @ the Daily but I could double check if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Also there was a "Michigan Second Amendment Club" when I was up there, I was wondering if they were still around and if so, maybe we want to include/invite them in the picnic. They were a good group of people, I went on a couple of range trips with them, just a thought. Michigan Libertarians might also have a fair number of like-minded people as well, I remember they did a gun raffle when I attended.

EDIT: Restaurant ideas: Buffalo Wild Wings is right in the campus area of town, that might be fun, I don't know what their company firearms policy is (I don't remember any signs though). I'm having trouble thinking of others as I wonder if they are on the right side of the 51% line, Brown Jug is one that I'm thinking of but It does do alot of business on drinks every night. There is a Mongolian Grill on Main, The original Cottage Inn Pizza is a nice place too on Liberty and State. That's all I've got for now, most of the food I ate there was burritos from Big Ten or Pancheros or pizza by the slice from the party stores.

Venator

imported post

cmdio wrote:
EDIT: Restaurant ideas: Buffalo Wild Wings is right in the campus area of town, that might be fun, I don't know what their company firearms policy is (I don't remember any signs though). I'm having trouble thinking of others as I wonder if they are on the right side of the 51% line, Brown Jug is one that I'm thinking of but It does do alot of business on drinks every night. There is a Mongolian Grill on Main, The original Cottage Inn Pizza is a nice place too on Liberty and State. That's all I've got for now, most of the food I ate there was burritos from Big Ten or Pancheros or pizza by the slice from the party stores.
Non CPL holders can't carry in places that sell booze. That's why if we go the inside route we choose a place that's booze free. Now after the get-together and we break off into smaller groups, well that's something else.

cmdio

imported post

That's right, thanks Venator. There's a Big boy on Plymouth rd and US-23, but thats a little farther out of town and away from the people who most need the education (smelly hippies :p). Zingerman's Deli doesnt have booze, Fleetwood Diner is an Ann Arbor institution which also fits the bill. There's another sandwich place, Sottini's Subs IIRC which is right in the downtown area, probably limited hours on weekends though. Closer to campus there's a Potbelly's, a Brueggers, a Cosi, a sushi place (none of which serve booze) and Lots of different coffe places. I'm sure there's some others that I can remember. Theres Jimmy John's all over the place. The Potbelly's might be a good spot (don't know about their weapons policy) but its right in the heart of uptown A2, on the corner of Liberty and State. There's a very busy starbucks (another option?) across the street, and the area is really busy all the time, especially weekends. There's also a ton of stuff close by. Ample parking in the huge structure right behind potbelly's and the Umich natural history museum (worth checking out even if you cant bring your pistol) is only a few blocks from there. There is also a great cigar/tobacco store right in the area too for those of you who enjoy those sort of things. I used to know the owner and have a feeling he probably wouldn't mind OC there, but I'm not sure and he usually isn't in on weekends anyway. All of these things are right across the street from "the Diag" ie U of M campus, so it's about as close as we could get to OC'ing on campus. I'm excited for this AA outing, should be a good time.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Please remember to post preferred dates. Sunday would likely be better, to avoid any football traffic, and the distraction of the game. So far 2 weeks from now seems to be the winner.

Finding a nice place that doesn't sell booze may be a little difficult. Most good places I can think of at least sell wine/beer. There is one Indian restaurant that might be a good pick, as well as most sushi bars. And yeah, a little walk through Kerrytown would be a riot.

cmdio, I actually work at the cigar shop (although I'm on hiatus at the moment). I'm sure Chuck would be ok with it, but I could give him a call and ask, if you want. He'll put up with just about anything as long as you buy something.

I feel we should alert the daily. Get our feet in the door. I think I still know some people who are editors. We may also want to let the Ann Arbor News know, as well as the Michigan Review (conservative student paper). What I'm not sure about is talking to the AAPD. I do have a contact in there who is very gun-friendly and knows OC is legal, and I'd probably let them know through him. If we tell them at all.

So what are we collectively thinking? Indoors or out?

Matt`G

imported post

I think that Wheeler Park if sunny, Big Boy if rainy sounds like a decent plan. Just let me know when/where, and I'll make sure to show up... and bring my wife if possible! I worked in AA for 5 years, so I'd like to come back and exercise my rights. :)

Regarding the Michigan Daily, I remember them covering the Michigan Libertarians meeting with the gun raffle back in '06. It seemed like they did a fair job ... I actually found the article; it is cut short for some reason... but: http://www.michigandaily.com/content/gun-giveaway-shoots-ownership-rights

Speaking of which, does anyone have a membership or contact with the Michigan Libertarians? They might be a good group to give a heads up to as well.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Matt`G wrote
snip

Speaking of which, does anyone have a membership or contact with the Michigan Libertarians? They might be a good group to give a heads up to as well.
Happens I do. They shall be notified.

I'll see what's up with the 2A club. Last I heard, I was the only one left. Perhaps I can rally some survivors.

THway

imported post

Cool. Cool. I will be there and i shall bring some friends who are in dire need of education. i have decided to make my own version of a fruit log (5 different kinds of apples/raisins). ANYTIME this party wants to happen im game.... fedex had a bunch of layoffs so i have alot of free time now.

figgypower

imported post

Is it a good idea or a bad idea to bring 3x5 index cards with relevant gun info?

I was thinking I'd quote how guns on a per capita or per item basis actually result in ~33% fewer fatal injuries than cars (from the CDC), how at least 1.5 million crimes are thwarted by civilian gun ownership (from the FBI), etc. There's lots of sheeple in A2 but maybe some will convert when faced with the facts. But maybe it'll just tick 'em off. :question:

Venator

imported post

I'm up for Sunday the 12th. I prefer the park if it's nice. That way it's a public place and we can't be asked to leave. In a private place, there has been coercion by the police to have the owners make us leave. This has happened in other states in restaurants. The owner is under pressure not to piss off the local cops so they comply with the request. We had this happen with a store in Burton that we were going to set up an info booth. The Burton Police Chief inquire into this and the store cancelled on us. Just keep that in mind.

If it's on Sunday I most likely will have 3 people. I can bring dogs and brats, with condiments and a dish to pass. I also suggest that people bring their own tableware and beverages. A couple garbage bags is a good idea.

Jared

imported post

Venator wrote:
cmdio wrote:
Non CPL holders can't carry in places that sell booze. That's why if we go the inside route we choose a place that's booze free. Now after the get-together and we break off into smaller groups, well that's something else.

I wouldn't necessarily let this deter you though. The general carry ban (not the CPL free zone) does include establishments that serve alcohol; however, the law exempts a person who has a permit to carry from ANY state. I'm not sure how many people have some another states permit but not a michigan one. I wouldn't write a place like wild wings off yet.