Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Reloading questions...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coupeville, WA
    Posts
    278

    Post imported post

    I've recently learned to reload from my father-in-law. I reloaded about 50 rounds of 200gr SWC with 4.4 gr of bullseye and 50 rounds with 4.1 gr of bullseye. The OAL on these loads is 1.271".

    Ihaven't gone to the range yet, but intend to go to Greene's here in Oak Harbor on Thrusday after work (roughly 1600).

    I wanted to know what others have loaded and what kind of results they've gotten using various bullets, powders, etc.

    Finally, what is the maximum OAL for a .45 ACP? I've looked at a few different sites and am being led to believe it is 1.275"



    Any help for this newb is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member John Hardin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    684

    Post imported post

    You may have problems with SWC feeding in some automatics. My XD really does not like it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    897

    Post imported post

    I do lots of reloads (.223, 7.62x39, 300WBYmag, 30-30, .308, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38/.357). The other day I loaded up 50 rounds of .45ACP 185gr JHP with 9gr of Bluedot. I'm at the high middle end of the powder load, but these should shoot fine. I've done up a few hundred rounds of .223 with a variety of bullet types and powder. I haven't done enough testing and comparing for accuracy, most of what I load is for plinking and practice. Right now I'm working on a batch of 500 rounds of .45ACP, though I'm still in the case prep stages. I'll be using 185gr FMJ ball for this batch and will probably stick with 9gr of Bluedot. Bluedot is a little slower in it's burn rate and should produce a less sharp recoil, it should also produce a slightly lower FPS grain for grain than Bullseye. But it should still do the trick.

    I would reccomend getting the Hornady or Lymman books for reloading. They're great. Max OAL for .75ACP is 1.275", max case length is .898 and minimum is .888. Hornady reccomends a trim length of .893. The case seats on the rim, so as you start getting below .888 on case length you start picking up excessive head space. If you get too much you can have a case blowout which can damage the gun. If your chamber is perfect and you have a short case, the case starts hammering on the bolt (the slide face on a pistol). This hammering can cause excessive wear and create more headspace problems as well as feed problems. Same can happen if you use too much powder.

    Marcus

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    I reload with 4.0gr of red dot on 45acp on 200gr lrn or 230gr fmj. My AOL is 1.255-1.260. This feeds reliably and cycles in all my 45s.I started with the recommended 5.2 gr of red dot and worked my way backwards down to 4.0gr and stopped. I know a couple guys that get away with only 3.5gr but 4.0 seems to me to be a good trade off and really not much gained by going lower. I've got a little over 1000 reloaded 45's with a couple hundred of my test batch of 4.5 gr left that I haven't shot up yet. If I remember rightbullseye and red dotare really close on the burn rate.



    The loads you have should work fine. You don't mention what kind of gunbut one of my 1911's feeds SWC and JHP better with a mag that bounces the round off the feed ramp, the others like the Tripp mags that launch the bullet directly in the chamber.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    With ZERO disrespect to no one: Please get at least three Loading Manuels with published, pressure tested load recommendations. The 'Net is not the place to get reload info....at least, you can check the loads you hear about against a book....Small cases and very fast powder are a receipe for disaster if your off even a little bit. Ideally, a powder charge that will nearlyfill the case will prevent dangerous double charges. Actually look into the case with a flashlight when they are in the loading block to make sure. Please do this to ensure you keep your eyes and fingers.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098

    Post imported post

    BlaineG wrote:
    With ZERO disrespect to no one: Please get at least three Loading Manuels with published, pressure tested load recommendations. The 'Net is not the place to get reload info....at least, you can check the loads you hear about against a book....Small cases and very fast powder are a receipe for disaster if your off even a little bit. Ideally, a powder charge that will nearlyfill the case will prevent dangerous double charges. Actually look into the case with a flashlight when they are in the loading block to make sure. Please do this to ensure you keep your eyes and fingers.
    What? You want to take all the uncertainty out of it, and ruin the fun? What a wet blanket...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coupeville, WA
    Posts
    278

    Post imported post

    Nosrac wrote:
    The loads you have should work fine. You don't mention what kind of gunbut one of my 1911's feeds SWC and JHP better with a mag that bounces the round off the feed ramp, the others like the Tripp mags that launch the bullet directly in the chamber.
    Ruger KP90 .45 ACP

    BlaineGwrote:

    With ZERO disrespect to no one: Please get at least three Loading Manuels with published, pressure tested load recommendations. The 'Net is not the place to get reload info....at least, you can check the loads you hear about against a book....Small cases and very fast powder are a receipe for disaster if your off even a little bit. Ideally, a powder charge that will nearlyfill the case will prevent dangerous double charges. Actually look into the case with a flashlight when they are in the loading block to make sure. Please do this to ensure you keep your eyes and fingers.
    Yes. Safety is paramount. I was just curious to see what other people were reloading with good success. He gave me a book to read (IIRC it is Lymann 47 edition) on reloading before he'll let me use his stuff without supervision (he seems to like me more than the wife's ex-husband) so that I don't accidentally kill myself.



    Thanks for the inputs guys.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen, Washington, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Cougar125
    I've recently learned to reload from my father-in-law. I reloaded about 50 rounds of 200gr SWC with 4.4 gr of bullseye and 50 rounds with 4.1 gr of bullseye. The OAL on these loads is 1.271".

    Ihaven't gone to the range yet, but intend to go to Greene's here in Oak Harbor on Thrusday after work (roughly 1600).

    I wanted to know what others have loaded and what kind of results they've gotten using various bullets, powders, etc.

    Finally, what is the maximum OAL for a .45 ACP? I've looked at a few different sites and am being led to believe it is 1.275"

    Any help for this newb is greatly appreciated. Thanks.



    Most of my guns were stolen, and my reloading equipment got lost in a move, so I haven't done any reloading in several years. I used to have a Mark IV, Series 70, Gold Cup National Match that liked this load:

    WW 185 gr. semi-wad cutter
    R-P Nickle Case
    6.0 Grains of Unique
    CCI 350 Primer

    At 25 yards, it would make one ragged hole when fireing from a bench. (I can't hold that steady without the bench.) Each gun is different, so you will need to experiment to find the combination that your gun likes.

    What ever you do, always think SAFETY! SAFETY! SAFETY!
    I like to use high volume powders that fill the case more than half full. That way, you can not double charge a case and not know it.

    Good luck with your reloading, and have fun.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    bobestes wrote:

    I like to use high volume powders that fill the case more than half full. That way, you can not double charge a case and not know it.

    Good luck with your reloading, and have fun.
    My reloader has themanual dummy hand bullet feeder (me) so I just got in the habit of seeing the powder level as I put the bullet on the case. On the 9mm there is no mistaking a double load. :-)



  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen, Washington, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    Nosrac wrote:
    bobestes wrote:

    I like to use high volume powders that fill the case more than half full. That way, you can not double charge a case and not know it.

    Good luck with your reloading, and have fun.
    My reloader has themanual dummy hand bullet feeder (me) so I just got in the habit of seeing the powder level as I put the bullet on the case. On the 9mm there is no mistaking a double load. :-)

    That's usually a good technique, however, with the continual repitition one can get careless. About 35 years ago this happened to a friend who was a very experienced hand loader. He was loading some squib loads and accidentially double charged a case. Luckily for him, the double charge was still within the safety limits for the round he was loading. The only thing that happened to him was a big supprise when he fired that double charged round in the middle of all those squib loads.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    +1

    If you are using bullseye you can go to alliants reloading data site.

    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...nd%20Revolvers



  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    He was loading some squib loads
    Is this some new meaning of "squib" that I don't understand? Can you clarify? Thanks!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    kparker wrote:
    He was loading some squib loads
    Is this some new meaning of "squib" that I don't understand? Can you clarify? Thanks!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_load

    I'm thinking that isn't what the poster was meant...BICBW.



  14. #14
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    Here is more load data for you to look through.

    http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    The 'Net is not the place to get reload info
    I disagree. data.hodgdon.com is an excellent resource.

    *sigh* You know very well I was talking about loads passed from Bubba to Bubba..... BTW, even when I do consult the online PublishedExperts, I still double check it with another source. But then, maybe you like playing with rattlesnakes and naked skydiving There is a company called "Loadbook" that gathers up the loads from different powder and bullet companies...they make one for each caliber. They are a very good idea.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen, Washington, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    kparker wrote:
    He was loading some squib loads
    Is this some new meaning of "squib" that I don't understand? Can you clarify? Thanks!
    A squib load is one with a very small powder charge. When they are used in either a semi or full auto weapon they usually don't have enough power to cycle the action. Sometimes they don't even have enough power to push the bullet out of the muzzle. (A major safety hazaard.) Another hazard with squibs is that the powder may not be against the primer when the round is fired. For some reason that I don't understand this has been shown to sometimes cause excessive chamber pressure. (Fillers can solve this problem.) Properly assembled squibs can be usefull for practice on extreamly short ranges. For example: You could put a bullet trap in your basement and adjust the load so that the point of impact was the same at 25 feet as it would be at 25 or 50 yards with full power loads. This would allow you to practice without adjusting your sights.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hoquiam, , USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    I want to start reloading and what would be a good kit to get started?
    And I have never did this so im new to reloading.

    Thanks guys

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    Thanks, Bob! I had only seen the term mentioned as a defect, not something deliberately done. I assume these are only useful in revolvers (or bolt/single shot for rifles)?

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen, Washington, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    kparker wrote:
    Thanks, Bob! I had only seen the term mentioned as a defect, not something deliberately done. I assume these are only useful in revolvers (or bolt/single shot for rifles)?
    Actually, you can use them in any weapon, however, with a semi or full auto you will need to cycle the action manually. You would also need to cycle the action manually if you were dry firing. Using squib loads would just give you the feedback of actually hitting a target.

    In the early 1970's I worked at an indoor range that had squib loads for .30-30, .30-06. and .308. The squibs were loaded so as to give approximately the same point of impact at 25 yards as one of our popular factory loads did at 100 yards. This allowed our customers to sight in their rifles on our indoor range. (The low power of the squibs prevented them from penetrating our backstop.) At that time there were no public rifle ranges in the Kansas City area, and only one of the clubs opened up their range to the public for sight-ins before hunting season.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Aberdeen, Washington, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    okkid wrote:
    I want to start reloading and what would be a good kit to get started?
    And I have never did this so im new to reloading.

    Thanks guys
    Lee Precision has some good reloading equipment at relatively reasonable prices. Here's their website:

    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...tml/index.html

    I started with the "Classic Lee Loader", and I loaded a lot of ammo before I finally bought a press. Unless you're going to be reloading in the field, I would recommend you get one of the kits with a press. After that, one of the first accessories you will want is a powder scale. The Lee powder dippers are inexpensive and work fine as long as you are not after great precision. The more reloading you do, the more accessories you will find that you want. For example: you may decide to upgrade from a manual case trimmer to a power trimmer, or from a manual scale to an electronic powder scale.

    As a beginner I would recommend that you get "The ABC's of Reloading". Most gun stores will carry it, and here is an Amazon.com website that carries it.

    http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading.../dp/0873491904

    You can never have too many reloading manuals. Manuals are published by most of the bullet manufactures, powder manufacturers, and equipment manufacturers.

    Reloading is a great hobby, so get some equipment and have fun.


  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    Bob,

    And so my education continues; thanks again!

    Most likely what I've seen discussed up to this point has been primer-only loads that would dislodge the bullet but have little chance of driving it all the way out the barrel.

    I'd certainly second your recommendation of The ABC's of Reloading; I'm about to launch into this endeavor myself and this book was extremely useful to me in figuring out where to start.

    Interestingly, the author lost both hands in a teenage-years accident with some kind of home-made explosive (or maybe home-made black powder, he's a bit coy about it in the intro.)

    Mothers, tell your children
    Not to do what I have done...

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    bobestes wrote:
    Lee Precision has some good reloading equipment at relatively reasonable prices. Here's their website:

    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...tml/index.html

    I started with the "Classic Lee Loader", and I loaded a lot of ammo before I finally bought a press. Unless you're going to be reloading in the field, I would recommend you get one of the kits with a press. After that, one of the first accessories you will want is a powder scale. The Lee powder dippers are inexpensive and work fine as long as you are not after great precision. The more reloading you do, the more accessories you will find that you want. For example: you may decide to upgrade from a manual case trimmer to a power trimmer, or from a manual scale to an electronic powder scale.

    As a beginner I would recommend that you get "The ABC's of Reloading". Most gun stores will carry it, and here is an Amazon.com website that carries it.

    http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading.../dp/0873491904

    You can never have too many reloading manuals. Manuals are published by most of the bullet manufactures, powder manufacturers, and equipment manufacturers.

    Reloading is a great hobby, so get some equipment and have fun.
    I own two of the Lee Pro1000's (9mm+45acp) which is a decent low cost way to get into reloading. The 9mm set up easily but the 45 ACP was a pain until I worked all the bugs out of it. I bought them on sale at midwayusa. You will need the scale and a digital caliper to check your loads, then maybe a tumbler, trimmerand....well, you get the idea.

    I find it relaxing to reload and enjoy reloading with my dad and/or 7 yo son each of us on a press.













  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hoquiam, , USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the info and I did order the Classic Lee Loader today.

    As for the book I will order that also.

    Thanks guys!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •