• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading questions...

Cougar125

imported post

I've recently learned to reload from my father-in-law. I reloaded about 50 rounds of 200gr SWC with 4.4 gr of bullseye and 50 rounds with 4.1 gr of bullseye. The OAL on these loads is 1.271".

Ihaven't gone to the range yet, but intend to go to Greene's here in Oak Harbor on Thrusday after work (roughly 1600).

I wanted to know what others have loaded and what kind of results they've gotten using various bullets, powders, etc.

Finally, what is the maximum OAL for a .45 ACP? I've looked at a few different sites and am being led to believe it is 1.275"

Any help for this newb is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sirpuma

imported post

I do lots of reloads (.223, 7.62x39, 300WBYmag, 30-30, .308, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38/.357). The other day I loaded up 50 rounds of .45ACP 185gr JHP with 9gr of Bluedot. I'm at the high middle end of the powder load, but these should shoot fine. I've done up a few hundred rounds of .223 with a variety of bullet types and powder. I haven't done enough testing and comparing for accuracy, most of what I load is for plinking and practice. Right now I'm working on a batch of 500 rounds of .45ACP, though I'm still in the case prep stages. I'll be using 185gr FMJ ball for this batch and will probably stick with 9gr of Bluedot. Bluedot is a little slower in it's burn rate and should produce a less sharp recoil, it should also produce a slightly lower FPS grain for grain than Bullseye. But it should still do the trick.

I would reccomend getting the Hornady or Lymman books for reloading. They're great. Max OAL for .75ACP is 1.275", max case length is .898 and minimum is .888. Hornady reccomends a trim length of .893. The case seats on the rim, so as you start getting below .888 on case length you start picking up excessive head space. If you get too much you can have a case blowout which can damage the gun. If your chamber is perfect and you have a short case, the case starts hammering on the bolt (the slide face on a pistol). This hammering can cause excessive wear and create more headspace problems as well as feed problems. Same can happen if you use too much powder.

Marcus

Nosrac

imported post

I reload with 4.0gr of red dot on 45acp on 200gr lrn or 230gr fmj. My AOL is 1.255-1.260. This feeds reliably and cycles in all my 45s.I started with the recommended 5.2 gr of red dot and worked my way backwards down to 4.0gr and stopped. I know a couple guys that get away with only 3.5gr but 4.0 seems to me to be a good trade off and really not much gained by going lower. I've got a little over 1000 reloaded 45's with a couple hundred of my test batch of 4.5 gr left that I haven't shot up yet. If I remember rightbullseye and red dotare really close on the burn rate.

The loads you have should work fine. You don't mention what kind of gunbut one of my 1911's feeds SWC and JHP better with a mag that bounces the round off the feed ramp, the others like the Tripp mags that launch the bullet directly in the chamber.

BlaineG

imported post

With ZERO disrespect to no one: Please get at least three Loading Manuels with published, pressure tested load recommendations. The 'Net is not the place to get reload info....at least, you can check the loads you hear about against a book....Small cases and very fast powder are a receipe for disaster if your off even a little bit. Ideally, a powder charge that will nearlyfill the case will prevent dangerous double charges. Actually look into the case with a flashlight when they are in the loading block to make sure. Please do this to ensure you keep your eyes and fingers.

PavePusher

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
With ZERO disrespect to no one: Please get at least three Loading Manuels with published, pressure tested load recommendations. The 'Net is not the place to get reload info....at least, you can check the loads you hear about against a book....Small cases and very fast powder are a receipe for disaster if your off even a little bit. Ideally, a powder charge that will nearlyfill the case will prevent dangerous double charges. Actually look into the case with a flashlight when they are in the loading block to make sure. Please do this to ensure you keep your eyes and fingers.
What? You want to take all the uncertainty out of it, and ruin the fun? What a wet blanket...:lol:

Cougar125

imported post

Nosrac wrote:
The loads you have should work fine. You don't mention what kind of gunbut one of my 1911's feeds SWC and JHP better with a mag that bounces the round off the feed ramp, the others like the Tripp mags that launch the bullet directly in the chamber.

Ruger KP90 .45 ACP

BlaineGwrote:

Yes. Safety is paramount. I was just curious to see what other people were reloading with good success. He gave me a book to read (IIRC it is Lymann 47 edition) on reloading before he'll let me use his stuff without supervision (he seems to like me more than the wife's ex-husband) so that I don't accidentally kill myself.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

bobestes

imported post

Cougar125
I've recently learned to reload from my father-in-law. I reloaded about 50 rounds of 200gr SWC with 4.4 gr of bullseye and 50 rounds with 4.1 gr of bullseye. The OAL on these loads is 1.271".

Ihaven't gone to the range yet, but intend to go to Greene's here in Oak Harbor on Thrusday after work (roughly 1600).

I wanted to know what others have loaded and what kind of results they've gotten using various bullets, powders, etc.

Finally, what is the maximum OAL for a .45 ACP? I've looked at a few different sites and am being led to believe it is 1.275"

Any help for this newb is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Most of my guns were stolen, and my reloading equipment got lost in a move, so I haven't done any reloading in several years. I used to have a Mark IV, Series 70, Gold Cup National Match that liked this load:

WW 185 gr. semi-wad cutter
R-P Nickle Case
6.0 Grains of Unique
CCI 350 Primer

At 25 yards, it would make one ragged hole when fireing from a bench. (I can't hold that steady without the bench.) Each gun is different, so you will need to experiment to find the combination that your gun likes.

What ever you do, always think SAFETY! SAFETY! SAFETY!
I like to use high volume powders that fill the case more than half full. That way, you can not double charge a case and not know it.

Good luck with your reloading, and have fun.

Nosrac

imported post

bobestes wrote:

I like to use high volume powders that fill the case more than half full. That way, you can not double charge a case and not know it.

My reloader has themanual dummy hand bullet feeder (me) so I just got in the habit of seeing the powder level as I put the bullet on the case. On the 9mm there is no mistaking a double load. :)

bobestes

imported post

Nosrac wrote:
bobestes wrote:

My reloader has themanual dummy hand bullet feeder (me) so I just got in the habit of seeing the powder level as I put the bullet on the case. On the 9mm there is no mistaking a double load. :)
That's usually a good technique, however, with the continual repitition one can get careless. About 35 years ago this happened to a friend who was a very experienced hand loader. He was loading some squib loads and accidentially double charged a case. Luckily for him, the double charge was still within the safety limits for the round he was loading. The only thing that happened to him was a big supprise when he fired that double charged round in the middle of all those squib loads.

BlaineG

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
The 'Net is not the place to get reload info
I disagree. data.hodgdon.com is an excellent resource.
*sigh* You know very well I was talking about loads passed from Bubba to Bubba..... BTW, even when I do consult the online PublishedExperts, I still double check it with another source. But then, maybe you like playing with rattlesnakes and naked skydiving:dude: There is a company called "Loadbook" that gathers up the loads from different powder and bullet companies...they make one for each caliber. They are a very good idea.

bobestes

imported post

kparker wrote:
He was loading some squib loads

Is this some new meaning of "squib" that I don't understand? Can you clarify? Thanks!

A squib load is one with a very small powder charge. When they are used in either a semi or full auto weapon they usually don't have enough power to cycle the action. Sometimes they don't even have enough power to push the bullet out of the muzzle. (A major safety hazaard.) Another hazard with squibs is that the powder may not be against the primer when the round is fired. For some reason that I don't understand this has been shown to sometimes cause excessive chamber pressure. (Fillers can solve this problem.) Properly assembled squibs can be usefull for practice on extreamly short ranges. For example: You could put a bullet trap in your basement and adjust the load so that the point of impact was the same at 25 feet as it would be at 25 or 50 yards with full power loads. This would allow you to practice without adjusting your sights.

okkid

imported post

I want to start reloading and what would be a good kit to get started?
And I have never did this so im new to reloading.

Thanks guys

kparker

imported post

Thanks, Bob! I had only seen the term mentioned as a defect, not something deliberately done. I assume these are only useful in revolvers (or bolt/single shot for rifles)?

bobestes

imported post

kparker wrote:
Thanks, Bob! I had only seen the term mentioned as a defect, not something deliberately done. I assume these are only useful in revolvers (or bolt/single shot for rifles)?

Actually, you can use them in any weapon, however, with a semi or full auto you will need to cycle the action manually. You would also need to cycle the action manually if you were dry firing. Using squib loads would just give you the feedback of actually hitting a target.

In the early 1970's I worked at an indoor range that had squib loads for .30-30, .30-06. and .308. The squibs were loaded so as to give approximately the same point of impact at 25 yards as one of our popular factory loads did at 100 yards. This allowed our customers to sight in their rifles on our indoor range. (The low power of the squibs prevented them from penetrating our backstop.) At that time there were no public rifle ranges in the Kansas City area, and only one of the clubs opened up their range to the public for sight-ins before hunting season.

bobestes

imported post

okkid wrote:
I want to start reloading and what would be a good kit to get started?
And I have never did this so im new to reloading.

Thanks guys
Lee Precision has some good reloading equipment at relatively reasonable prices. Here's their website:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1223017882.1963=/html/index.html

I started with the "Classic Lee Loader", and I loaded a lot of ammo before I finally bought a press. Unless you're going to be reloading in the field, I would recommend you get one of the kits with a press. After that, one of the first accessories you will want is a powder scale. The Lee powder dippers are inexpensive and work fine as long as you are not after great precision. The more reloading you do, the more accessories you will find that you want. For example: you may decide to upgrade from a manual case trimmer to a power trimmer, or from a manual scale to an electronic powder scale.

As a beginner I would recommend that you get "The ABC's of Reloading". Most gun stores will carry it, and here is an Amazon.com website that carries it.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-C-Rodney-James/dp/0873491904

You can never have too many reloading manuals. Manuals are published by most of the bullet manufactures, powder manufacturers, and equipment manufacturers.

Reloading is a great hobby, so get some equipment and have fun.