• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading questions...

kparker

imported post

Bob,

And so my education continues; thanks again!

Most likely what I've seen discussed up to this point has been primer-only loads that would dislodge the bullet but have little chance of driving it all the way out the barrel.

I'd certainly second your recommendation of The ABC's of Reloading; I'm about to launch into this endeavor myself and this book was extremely useful to me in figuring out where to start.

Interestingly, the author lost both hands in a teenage-years accident with some kind of home-made explosive (or maybe home-made black powder, he's a bit coy about it in the intro.)

Mothers, tell your children
Not to do what I have done...

Nosrac

imported post

bobestes wrote:
Lee Precision has some good reloading equipment at relatively reasonable prices. Here's their website:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1223017882.1963=/html/index.html

I started with the "Classic Lee Loader", and I loaded a lot of ammo before I finally bought a press. Unless you're going to be reloading in the field, I would recommend you get one of the kits with a press. After that, one of the first accessories you will want is a powder scale. The Lee powder dippers are inexpensive and work fine as long as you are not after great precision. The more reloading you do, the more accessories you will find that you want. For example: you may decide to upgrade from a manual case trimmer to a power trimmer, or from a manual scale to an electronic powder scale.

As a beginner I would recommend that you get "The ABC's of Reloading". Most gun stores will carry it, and here is an Amazon.com website that carries it.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-C-Rodney-James/dp/0873491904

You can never have too many reloading manuals. Manuals are published by most of the bullet manufactures, powder manufacturers, and equipment manufacturers.

Reloading is a great hobby, so get some equipment and have fun.

I own two of the Lee Pro1000's (9mm+45acp) which is a decent low cost way to get into reloading. The 9mm set up easily but the 45 ACP was a pain until I worked all the bugs out of it. I bought them on sale at midwayusa. You will need the scale and a digital caliper to check your loads, then maybe a tumbler, trimmerand....well, you get the idea.

I find it relaxing to reload and enjoy reloading with my dad and/or 7 yo son each of us on a press.

okkid

imported post

Thanks for the info and I did order the Classic Lee Loader today.

As for the book I will order that also.

Thanks guys!