• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms in Vehicles

pezboy

imported post

Ok,

Sorry if this has been covered. I have a LTCH. Can I have my handgun in plain sight in my vehicle (like on the seat next to me), or does it have to be concealed?

Also, can I have a loaded rifle or shotgun behind the seat, or does it have to be unloaded? Thanks.

Dustin

Skippy

imported post

Indiana law makes no distinction about how to carry. You can carry either open or concealed with an LTCH. There is also no distinction made regarding how to carry in your car. You can carry any way you want.

As for rifles, Indiana law is silent on the issue meaning you can walk down Main Street with a loaded AK slung over your shoulder if you wanted to. Not that it would be wise...

pezboy

imported post

So,

Can I have it sitting on the passenger seat, in the glove compartment, on the dash, etc.? The reason why I ask is because I'm not technically "carrying" it if it is just sitting there. What if I leave the loaded handgun in my vehicle? Thanks.

Dustin

Skippy

imported post

You can keep it anywhere in your car that you want. You can leave it locked up in your car if you want. However, if you leave it in your car, say while you go into the store, and your wife (with no LTCH) is in the car as well, then she'll have a problem as she will technically be in possession without a license.

Read your LTCH. It says "on your person or in a vehicle".