• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wristwatch audio recorders

tricityguy

imported post

I know, I know: I should get a "proper" recorder, etc, but I don't want to carry yet another thing around, I don't want to run wires on myself and clip a lapel mic on my shirt, etc. It's too much of a "get up" for me. I only wear shirts with front pockets about half the time, so a pen-type recorder isn't going to get used often, either.

Therefore, I'm seriously considering these 4GB wristwatch recorders I've seen floating around on eBay, etc. A watch is something I already put on every day so I'll always have an inconspicuous recorder at my beck and call. I'm curious if anyone has experience with such a device. I'm concerned about their ability to pickup voices well enough to understand the conversation. Obviously I'm not going to be holding the watch up near my face while talking to LEOs, my hands will have to be wherever they would normally be and I'm not sure the recorder will be effective like that.

So, if you've played with one of these I'd love to hear any impressions you might have - & even if you haven't played with one, I'd like your input, too.

PolskiG

imported post

I say, whatever does the job is right for you. I actually think that having a wristwatch recorder would be a very good idea, just like that Casio wrist- TV remote control watch that I got for Christmas in middle school. Teachers still don't know what hit them.:)

Nosrac

imported post

Do they have one with the mic actually built in? I think that is what I was running into on the last watch model I looked at is thatyou had to plug in an external mic.

tricityguy

imported post

All the watches I've looked at had mics built in... I simply have no idea of the quality of the things. Most of them appear to be made in China and it's a real crapshoot with that stuff. You might get something real decent, or a complete piece of junk and I'm not eager to drop the $150-$200 on one of the nicer-looking ones to find out.

If nobody else has done it, though, maybe I'll take the plunge and be the guinea pig for the rest of us. :)

Prophet

imported post

Its also a great idea because if the cops think its only a wristwatch your recorded conversation can't magically "dissappear" then they take it into custody. If it gets that far that is.

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

I would be afraid of the one situation where you would need it most. Say you were handcuffed while detained or arrested illegally. You would certainly want a voice recorder then, but if the microphone is behind you, I'm not sure it would pick up a lot of conversation, even if it is high quality.

David.Car

imported post

carhark wrote:
I would be afraid of the one situation where you would need it most. Say you were handcuffed while detained or arrested illegally. You would certainly want a voice recorder then, but if the microphone is behind you, I'm not sure it would pick up a lot of conversation, even if it is high quality.
Unless you are pushed against a car or on your belly on the ground... than behind you is good ;)

tricityguy

imported post

Well, that's my concern too. Even not being cuffed, I can't see your hands down at your side picking a lot up. Who knows, though, we might be surprised and the allure of not having to carry an extra object with me is compelling.

edit: Hah! Good point, David.