• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith & Wesson K38 Combat Masterpiece

Alexcabbie

imported post

As a young USAF Security Policeman I carried the K38 Combat Masterpiece as my duty weapon. So I was delighted to see on sale at a gun show one of these, in the original box and in near-perfect condition. The serial number inside the yoke is K60590 and the butt bears the number k137683. The grips are in perfect condition except that age has given them some deeper color, and they bear the same number as is on the butt.

I paid $900 for this weapon and was almost immediately accosted by people offering to pay me several hundred more for it.

There is a reason S&W called this weapon a "Masterpiece". The FBI and various law enforcement agencies were so taken with the K38 "target Masterpiece" that they asked for a 4"barrel version with a Baughman "Quick draw" ramp sight. The esult was the "combat Masterpiece" and it is SWEET!!.

It is also kind of rare, from what I have heard the USAF mostly destroyed the old K38s and (the later version of the K38) the Model 15s when they switched to the 9mm Beretta 92. And a K38 (pre-1957) in perfect condition is worth a pretty penny or at least there are people willing to pay more than what I did for mine which is the proof of that puddin'.

I took the weapon to the range - hey, when you meet an old pal you just gotta talk a bit, don't you?? -and put a box of wadcutters and a box ofFMJ through her. Accurate? hell yes, just as I remember. Cylinder lockup is tight, you'd think it was only fired bu a little old lady on Sunday after church. Trigger: couldn't ask for better, smooth and solid in DA and clean crisp letoff in SA.

I don't plan to take this gem to the range that often because it is valuable; and when I do I take it STRAIGHT HOME and clean and oil it thoroughly.But I DO OC it often, loaded with HORNADY 125 gr JHP/XTP hollowpoints. I wouldn't fire+p in it excepy in an emergency because I would hate to risk damaging the gun seeing as how Ipaid good money and it is (supposedly) so rare. I confess that OCing this piece is sorta like driving a vintage Cadillac around. and I do like it when I run into someone who appreciates a fine example of American gunsmithing. I only wish I could find a Bucheimer "Federal Man" holster for the piece, but Bucheimer is out of business and none was available at the show.

David.Car

imported post

321421416_778e4cda62.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I only wish I could find a Bucheimer "Federal Man" holster for the piece, but Bucheimer is out of business and none was available at the show.

PM me - I think I have something you might be interested in.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
snip..........
The serial number inside the yoke is K60590 and the butt bears the number k137683. The grips are in perfect condition except that age has given them some deeper color, and they bear the same number as is on the butt.
Mismatched serial #s ? This would seem to have indicated to me a much lower value on what is IMHO already a very high price. Googling this item will show a goodly number for much less. That said, I understand the worth of "I've just gotta have it."

Hope you enjoy it and don't discount what Skid has in his closet.

Yata hey

nova

imported post

my dad told me he trained with a .38 while in the USAF. After doing some picture hunting and research it looks like this was it...the model 15.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Ok Grapeshot, Right here, Right now.

WHAT THE HECK DOES "yata hey" mean !?!? :lol: LOL !

It's driving me crazy !:p
That's the whole point - the sole purpose.

Must be working. :celebrate

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Ok Grapeshot, Right here, Right now.

WHAT THE HECK DOES "yata hey" mean !?!? :lol: LOL !

It's driving me crazy !:p
Gotcha !

I need to have cards printed up explaining - in fact I'm going to add that to my "to do" list right now.

Brief def. - normally I do this by PM but I can't stand to see an animal suffer.:)

In Lacota Souix - literally it's a great day for dying. It is both a serious war cry and a greeting/salutation amongst friends as in hi or good day. Much depends on the tone of voice and attitude conveyed. I leave it to the reader to determine if I am only signing off or offering a solution. :D

If I were given a choice of when to die, would chose a memorable day - therefore it is by a somewhat convoluted process also a great day to live!

Yyyyyaata heeey

Alexcabbie

imported post

That's a beautiful example of a Model 15, which is a K38 Combat Masterpiece manufactured AFTER 1957, which is when S&W started assigning model #s.

My weapon is a PRE-1957 (which is why I wouldn't feed it +p). And it is in similar condition except the grips are brown with age, but the checkering is out-of-the-box sharp.

I need to check with S&W maybe they can explain the so-called "mismatched" numbers as the butt is part of the frame and it is of a piece with it. The weapon in the photo could have been manufactured anytime between 1957 and 1982. Mine is older - quite possibly much older - and so I believe the price is right especially since collectors offered me several hundred more at the same show 5 minutes after I completed he Brady Check. The box is gold in color and has basic instructions printed on the inside of the top in English and Spanish. The lettering on the box definitely seems to be of a style ysed in the early 1950s and I am pretty sure mine is a post-wwII model but it is most certainly a pre-1957 "5-screw" model.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Just got an Email from S&W which says the yoke must have been replaced as the yoke serial is a 1965 serial# while the frame bears a 1950 serial #. Which STILL leaves me baffled as the yoke # is stamped ot on the yoke itself but on the frame INSIDE the yoke area. So I stil need to do some digging; but I am astonished to find out that the weapon was manufactured three years before I was born and looks almost pristine and still functions a good as ever. I hold up a picture of myself at 17 in the mirror and cringe at what has happened, but my K38?? good as ever it was.