• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith & Wesson K38 Combat Masterpiece

Spectre

imported post

Personally I wouldn't OC that fine machine, or even use it for self defense. It is such a nice gun that if you did use it to defend your self and a police officer with looser morals did see it he might decide to have it "Become Lost In Evidence". Likely? Not really. Has it happened before and will it happen again? Most definitely.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Yeah, well I sent in the info to this online "firearms appraiser" and they wrote back and said the gun has a "retail value" of $405 and a "resale/trade" value of $298.

:cuss:WHAT???!!!??

Look at the condition, the old 5=screw design, original box (look at that lettering - like a model airplane kit!! original tools and those screwballs say $298???

Somebody out there know about these things tell me what yall think this classic is worth?

Alexcabbie

imported post

I will agree with your classifying the Colt SAA as the King, for similar reasons as I classify the Masterpiece as the Prince. The Colt SAA played a vital role nin the history of America, and was used by Earp and Masterson as well as by the Daltons and Clantons.

The Python is a beautiful weapon and superbly crafted and it is a jewel. And the Combat Magnum is powerful and accurate, but it is a descendant of the K-38.

Neither of those, however, has the historical place of the Combat Masterpiece, develpoed from the Target Masterpiece at the specific request of J. Edgar Hoover and a multitude of police chiefs whose officers were winning police revolver competitions like crazy with the Target Masterpiece. Hundreds of thousands of the Combat Masterpiece were purchased by the LAPD and the United States Air Force, who made it the standard duty arm for all armed units including the Security Police and Pararescue troops. (The OSI did, in fairness, loby for and get the Colt Detective Special snubbie ) The K-38 was chosen by None Other than "Bombs Away" LeMay, and other police departments across the country used it well into the 1980s.

Besides all that, my hands fit the issue grips of the Masterpiece, and it was my duty companion for three long years. So 'scuse me if I am just a bit biased. ;)

Marco

imported post

Don't get me wrong,I love older S&W revolvers.:lol:

I just think the CP is the improved version of the K-38.;)

j w mathews

imported post

Alex--

You bought a very nice gun at a price you were willing to pay. You already know that others were willing to pay you more to buy it from you. So ignore any comments about its value and be happy.

To Alex, Grapeshot et al--

As a long-time S&W buff, I may be able to shed some light on the serial number matter. The official s/n is the one on the butt. Before the use of model numbers, the gun serial number was also stamped on the bottom of the barrel next to the frame and on the rear of the cylinder. If the gun is original, the numbers on those three parts should match.

Also, at that time S&W practice was to use assembly numbers, to keep the parts together during fitting. (There's a lot of hand work required in building revolvers.) The assembly numbers are unrelated to the s/n. They are found inside the yoke cut on the frame, on the yoke (crane) itself, AND on the inside of the sideplate. If those three numbers match to one another, those three components are original to the gun.

If the s/ns match but the yoke # does not match the ass'y number stamped on the yoke cut, the yoke is a replacement part. You might remove the sideplate and see if you can find its number. If so, you want to use a properly-fitting screwdriver to remove the sideplate screws and the proper procedure to get it off. DO NOT PRY IT. If you are unfamiliar with the process just ask.

I hope the above is useful.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Thankee JW for clearing up the serial number mystery. Yes all serial numbers match and, now that I know what and where to look for all assembly numbers also match. Did I mention that the insides of the grips have also the same serial # as the butt?

The timing of the action is perfect, and there is no more play side to side or front to rear than with my brand new 629, I mean it is a TIGHT gun.

Another oddity is the box, which bears the likeness of a 6" barrel Target Masterpiece, but which has an old fasihioned stickon label on the end written in typeface common to the immediate postwar era designating it "K38 Combat Masterpiece 4 inch barrel". There is a wooden block inside to "size" the box to the shorter barrel and the wood seems to be old enough to have been original also. Was it common practice with the very early K.38 s to modify the boxes in this manner seeing as how most of them were destined to sundry law enforcement agencies and not re designing the box was a cost saving measure? I am thinking of writing S&W to get a certified history of this weapon especially since it seems to have almost zero wear and was made in 1950. Thanks a million for your help and info!

j w mathews

imported post

Glad to be of help, Alex. Fyi, factory letters have a fee. Last I heard, Colt's price was $100 & S&W's was $30 (may have risen, so you might want to look at the S&W website or email S&W to inquire if that info isn't included).

It was standard S&W practice to pencil the s/n (or at least the last three digits thereof) on the inside of one of the grips.

The gold box in your picture was used till ca 1955, I think. Blue cardboard boxes were used for many years thereafter until plastic cases arrived. I expect yr box is original to the gun; if the factory didn't have a box for a 4" barrel handy they'd probably use a longer box with some type of packing to restrain the gun from banging around inside.

The K-38 Masterpiece was the "father" of the Combat Masterpiece. The K38 had a 6" bbl with a Patridge front sight & the CM had the 4" bbl with Baughman ramp. Otherwise the guns were identical (K-frame square-butts) and both could be had with target triggers, target hammers, and oversize target grips as well as more costly finishes, if so ordered. Accordingly, I see nothing out of the ordinary regarding the stick-on label on yr box.

As to being tight, that's the way S&W's were made most of the time when the family owned the firm. I've seen a fairly rare K-frame 1902 Square Butt (only made between Nov 1904 and ca May, 1905 that is tighter than most new guns made today. You have a beautiful piece there, and my only advice is that you cherish it, hang onto it and take good care of it so a future owner at some distant time will appreciate it as much as you do. Enjoy!

MITCH

imported post

Alex I'm glad to hear of the value of you S&W K38 Masterpiece. I purchased the K38 Model 14 sometime around 1955. It's the target model with the 8 and 3/8th. inch barrel with all matching #'s and a walnut presentation case with the usual implements.

I've been trying to find an approximate value. The guns in excellent condition without a mark on it. A dealer offered me $300 for it, so I'm very pleased to read your post.

Mitch:celebrate

MITCH

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Well, I have yet to get the hang of it but I guess these attachments will have to do. Just click on the link to see (I hope)

Alex: What email address did you use to get the info from S&W. Perhaps I can get more information about my S&W./

Thank's

Mitch

Alexcabbie

imported post

Just wrote them on their general info contact address. There is a form you can download elsewhere on the site for a certificattion/history, I believe the base cost is $35 with a surcharge for an extensive history, etc.

Alexcabbie

imported post

MITCH wrote:
Alex I'm glad to hear of the value of you S&W K38 Masterpiece. I purchased the K38 Model 14 sometime around 1955. It's the target model with the 8 and 3/8th. inch barrel with all matching #'s and a walnut presentation case with the usual implements.

I've been trying to find an approximate value. The guns in excellent condition without a mark on it. A dealer offered me $300 for it, so I'm very pleased to read your post.

Mitch:celebrate
Yeah I'm kinda a babe in the woods about this collectable stuff, but I have found there are a lot of "appraisers" who know people who are willing to pay top dollar and try to get you to part with a classic for as little as possible. To me the honest appraisal of the weapon is the fact that I had to put it into an opaque bag to get it out of the gun show without being hounded to death.