Thread: Open Cary allowed in Florida up until....

Post imported post

Florida did until 1987. Read it on the OpenCarry.Org In The News - Miami WIOD Radio News interview of OCDO's Mike Stollenwerk ( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum63/12651.html ).

Does anyone have information/links on why it was stopped?

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'm no expert in Florida gun law, but I would imagine it was when the CCW law was enacted as it is there that it is stated you cannot carry openly.
    Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Post imported post

Thanx1

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Incorrect at least when the law passed. The bill passed in early 1987 to put in a concealed carry law. Someone discovered that the way the law was rewritten, open carry became legal without license. The media freaked out, found an African American person who open carried (I'm not kidding you, folks, they used the race card), then the drumbeat came. Legislature went into session on an emergency session and passed the open carry ban.

Post imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    Incorrect at least when the law passed. The bill passed in early 1987 to put in a concealed carry law. Someone discovered that the way the law was rewritten, open carry became legal without license. The media freaked out, found an African American person who open carried (I'm not kidding you, folks, they used the race card), then the drumbeat came. Legislature went into session on an emergency session and passed the open carry ban.
    What Lonnie said with the slight addition that open carry was not illegal at the time Hagler was passed. It had been legal since sometime in the early 70s (don't ask me when, I'm not THAT old). CC was on a county-county basis, but OC was legal state-wide (though not very prevalent, and many cities/counties had ordinances against it). Hagler not only provided CCW, but provided State Pre-Emption of all firearms laws in the state, thus making all the county/city ordinances against Open/Concealed carry null and void.

Our AG at the time was one Janet Reno, and the libtards in Miami who had been against Hagler since the beginning were looking for anything to throw a monkey wrench into things. They succeeded in 1986 when Comrade Graham vetoed the first version. The Open Carry ban was their sour-grapes solution after Hagler passed in 1987. Martinez was on shaky political ground and signed the flippin' emergency bill.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

Post imported post

It's time that Florida goes back to unlicensed open carry, just without the local bans.

Perhaps licensed open carry will bea reality.

Post imported post

Good stuff! Hoping open carry will occur in our lifetime, and yes I'm old as dirt!

Post imported post

Hey Jared - Your avatar pix scares the $hit outta me!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    Very interesting, thanks for the info.
    Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

mdgary

Post imported post

Alohakid wrote:
    Hey Jared - Your avatar pix scares the $hit outta me!
    Do you think he's kin to John Wayne Gasey?