• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Cary allowed in Florida up until....

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Incorrect at least when the law passed. The bill passed in early 1987 to put in a concealed carry law. Someone discovered that the way the law was rewritten, open carry became legal without license. The media freaked out, found an African American person who open carried (I'm not kidding you, folks, they used the race card), then the drumbeat came. Legislature went into session on an emergency session and passed the open carry ban.

rvrctyrngr

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Incorrect at least when the law passed. The bill passed in early 1987 to put in a concealed carry law. Someone discovered that the way the law was rewritten, open carry became legal without license. The media freaked out, found an African American person who open carried (I'm not kidding you, folks, they used the race card), then the drumbeat came. Legislature went into session on an emergency session and passed the open carry ban.

What Lonnie said with the slight addition that open carry was not illegal at the time Hagler was passed. It had been legal since sometime in the early 70s (don't ask me when, I'm not THAT old). CC was on a county-county basis, but OC was legal state-wide (though not very prevalent, and many cities/counties had ordinances against it). Hagler not only provided CCW, but provided State Pre-Emption of all firearms laws in the state, thus making all the county/city ordinances against Open/Concealed carry null and void.

Our AG at the time was one Janet Reno, and the libtards in Miami who had been against Hagler since the beginning were looking for anything to throw a monkey wrench into things. They succeeded in 1986 when Comrade Graham vetoed the first version. The Open Carry ban was their sour-grapes solution after Hagler passed in 1987. Martinez was on shaky political ground and signed the flippin' emergency bill.

Jared

imported post

It's time that Florida goes back to unlicensed open carry, just without the local bans. :)

Perhaps licensed open carry will bea reality.

Alohakid

imported post

Good stuff! Hoping open carry will occur in our lifetime, and yes I'm old as dirt! :lol:

Alohakid

imported post

Hey Jared - Your avatar pix scares the $hit outta me! :uhoh:

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Very interesting, thanks for the info.

M

mdgary

imported post

Alohakid wrote:
Hey Jared - Your avatar pix scares the $hit outta me! :uhoh:
Do you think he's kin to John Wayne Gasey?