• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Wal-Mart experience

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

First off, I would like to introduce myself as I am new to the forum. I am 19y/o, and am a student at Bluefield State College, majoring in CRMJ. I am employed as campus security.

I would like to first say thanks to all of you, as this has been a great guide to my understanding and actions regarding open carry. I have been doing so for over 7 months now, with no problems what so ever!!! I carry a Springfield XD 40. sub compact in a custom leather detainment holster, and never leave the house without being well dressed, which should come with the higher standard i represent.

All that aside, today at 1512 hr. est. I personally met with Larry, the store manager at the Wal-Mart located at 4001 College Drive Bluefield V.A. 24605, in his office. I had previously called to see his personal opinion concering the open carry of firearms, and how in the past i had read that it may be manipulated by the store manager reguardless of corporate policy. Upon him hearing my questions, he agreed we could meet in person to better check on the situation at this store concerning the matter.

I was dressed to fit exactly what I beleive my weapon represents. I wore "old man shoes" kakis, dress shirt, and tie. Of course accustomed by my holstered XD, and two "safety mags" on my left, both in retainment.

The very laid back meeting went great. as he himself was a gun owner, and held the second ammendment in high reguard. I used the pamplet available on this great site as a reference which went a long way as he requested a copy for himself. He stated that the open carrying of a firearm was absolutely acceptable in the store, so long as no fear or concern was arroused in the customers, he made sure to make me aware that it was private property and on eof the sole purposes was to serve the general public. Hense if several customers complain he must consult me and make me or any other OC'er leave the premis's.

I agreed completely with all the points he had made, considering noe of which were targeted at weapons or even open carrying in his store. From my immpression it was merely to explain why he would HAVE to remove anyone excersizeing their rights.

After our discussion he invited his two plain clothed "loss prevention" officers in so they would be informed, and take a personal note of whom i was and that it was legal. He also offered that if any new people whom i know would be OC'ing to dress appropriately, so uneducated civilians would not have reason to question the wearer of the weapon.

Overall, I found this to be a great encounter, and a victory for those who OC in the immediate area. No matter how small for some, it was a large win for me and my few fellow OC'ers in my town.

Sincerely,
wehrmacht

*Martial Arts is now my secondary weapon*

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45 wrote:
First off, I would like to introduce myself as I am new to the forum. My name is Dana Pruett, I am 19y/o, and am a student at Bluefield State College, majoring in CRMJ. I am employed as campus security.

I would like to first say thanks to all of you, as this has been a great guide to my understanding and actions regarding open carry. I have been doing so for over 7 months now, with no problems what so ever!!! I carry a Springfield XD 40. sub compact in a custom leather detainment holster, and never leave the house without being well dressed, which should come with the higher standard i represent.

All that aside, today at 1512 hr. est. I personally met with Larry, the store manager at the Wal-Mart located at 4001 College Drive Bluefield V.A. 24605, in his office. I had previously called to see his personal opinion concering the open carry of firearms, and how in the past i had read that it may be manipulated by the store manager reguardless of corporate policy. Upon him hearing my questions, he agreed we could meet in person to better check on the situation at this store concerning the matter.

I was dressed to fit exactly what I beleive my weapon represents. I wore "old man shoes" kakis, dress shirt, and tie. Of course accustomed by my holstered XD, and two "safety mags" on my left, both in retainment.

The very laid back meeting went great. as he himself was a gun owner, and held the second ammendment in high reguard. I used the pamplet available on this great site as a reference which went a long way as he requested a copy for himself. He stated that the open carrying of a firearm was absolutely acceptable in the store, so long as no fear or concern was arroused in the customers, he made sure to make me aware that it was private property and on eof the sole purposes was to serve the general public. Hense if several customers complain he must consult me and make me or any other OC'er leave the premis's.

I agreed completely with all the points he had made, considering noe of which were targeted at weapons or even open carrying in his store. From my immpression it was merely to explain why he would HAVE to remove anyone excersizeing their rights.

After our discussion he invited his two plain clothed "loss prevention" officers in so they would be informed, and take a personal note of whom i was and that it was legal. He also offered that if any new people whom i know would be OC'ing to dress appropriately, so uneducated civilians would not have reason to question the wearer of the weapon.

Overall, I found this to be a great encounter, and a victory for those who OC in the immediate area. No matter how small for some, it was a large win for me and my few fellow OC'ers in my town.

Sincerely,
wehrmacht

First - Welcome to OCDO - good people and great topics here - hope you enjoy and participate. Suggest your looking in to SCCC if you have not yet done so.
http://concealedcampus.org/

We normally advocate a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Asking offers no gain if the right is undisturbed and has potential loss. That being said, I commend your activism.

The manager you spoke to however is not in agreement with Wal-Mart corporate policy. Asking anyone to leave if they "aroused" a customer is akin to being asked to leave if you wore a mototcycle jacket and had tatoos. Such a response would call for an immediate contact with his corporate office.

BTW - being willing to learn new things - what is a "detainment holster?" :)
Mine is always detained - from leaving my hip. I presume you mean that it has retainment device like a thumb break. And "safety mags" are.....?

Yata hey

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

yessir *retainment* my firefox decided it was a mispelt word :lol: and safety mags are the ones if you run into more than 12 bad guys :p

I will look into what you specified.

*Martila Arts is now my secondary weapon*

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

yessir *retainment* my firefox decided it was a mispelt word :lol: and safety mags are the ones if you run into more than 12 bad guys :p

I will look into what you specified.

*Martila Arts is now my secondary weapon*

Actually, I think the correct term should be "retention" but 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.....

:)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Echoing Grapeshot's comments -

A hearty "Welcome!" to OCDO. Stick around, pull up a keyboard.

The manager's caveat of "as long as no fear or concern was aroused" is horse manure and not anywhere near Wally World's corporate policy of foillowing state law. Lots of folks might have "fear or concern aroused" by the mere sight of a handgun in Wally World, but there is nothingabout you OC-ing said handgun in Wally World in a completely legal manner that violates corporate policy.

Please go back and have another conversation with the manager. Tell him you are confused between what he told you and what you thought was corporate policy, and ask him to check with corporate legal to get the straight scoop.

Grapeshot and ProShooter forgot to mention joining VCDL (www.vcdl.org) if you are not already a member.

What is your position in "campus security" at age 19?

stay safe.

skidmark

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Echoing Grapeshot's comments -

A hearty "Welcome!" to OCDO. Stick around, pull up a keyboard.

The manager's caveat of "as long as no fear or concern was aroused" is horse manure and not anywhere near Wally World's corporate policy of foillowing state law. Lots of folks might have "fear or concern aroused" by the mere sight of a handgun in Wally World, but there is nothingabout you OC-ing said handgun in Wally World in a completely legal manner that violates corporate policy.

Please go back and have another conversation with the manager. Tell him you are confused between what he told you and what you thought was corporate policy, and ask him to check with corporate legal to get the straight scoop.

Grapeshot and ProShooter forgot to mention joining VCDL (http://www.vcdl.org) if you are not already a member.

What is your position in "campus security" at age 19?

stay safe.

skidmark
Thank you for the welcome sir,

I agree and understand the point you gentlemen make about the "customer concern " but fortunately for me the area in which i live has always tended to be pro gun, and it actually makes them feel safer from what im told by the door greeters, and the larger families. I will find a time to bring it up with him, possibly on my next visit, but i would be willing to bet he will find some sort of something to back up what he said. Of course i will play the semi aggressive rold, but I am however very happy with his general approval.

My possition is Basic Security Officer, I maintain traffic and parking violations. On weekend I am ordered to inssure all school policies are enforced at the dorm premisis and on campus. *pretty much the punks, and drunks*

I am also a member of VCDL thanks to my father, and will be there to support them at the Salem Gun Show this weekend.

Sheriff

imported post

He stated that the open carrying of a firearm was absolutely acceptable in the store.... if several customers complain he must consult me and make me or any other OC'er leave the premis's.
He got the first half right.... I think he failed on the second portion though.

I would have respectfully asked him to produce the second portion to me in writing from Walmart Corporate Offices.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Personally, at this point I'd leave it be. He's aware of the law and agrees with it and corporate policy. If in the future he tries to ask anyone to leave when they are legal, then I'd start going the corporate policy route. Making an issue out of something that hasn't happened yet, just might make him lean more/hold a grudge toward the anti side.

Then again, the topic was brought up and discussed, so it wouldn't hurt to ensure it's finished properly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

DHCruiser wrote:
Personally, at this point I'd leave it be. He's aware of the law and agrees with it and corporate policy. If in the future he tries to ask anyone to leave when they are legal, then I'd start going the corporate policy route. Making an issue out of something that hasn't happened yet, just might make him lean more/hold a grudge toward the anti side.

Then again, the topic was brought up and discussed, so it wouldn't hurt to ensure it's finished properly.
I concur with your first thought, generally.

As to the second - Why rock the boat. Any reply the manager were to give is not a binding commitment - no guarantee that he/she or someone else might not reply the opposite way.

Save the extra effort for when it is truly needed.

Yata hey

zoom6zoom

imported post

He also offered that if any new people whom i know would be OC'ing to dress appropriately,

Huh? Having seen how the average Walmart shopper dresses? I do tend to dress well because I don't like being sloppy, but if I want to OC in my jammy bottoms and a Stones concert t-shirt I will. (and would still be better dressed than most of his customers).