• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Law Requires Reporting Stolen, Lost Guns

LEO 229

imported post

http://www.nbc4.com/news/17588092/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

BALTIMORE, Md. -- Baltimore Police Commissioner Frederick Bealefeld says a new city law requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen weapons will help police track down the "bad guy with guns."

The law, which takes effect Nov. 11, requires gun owners to alert police within two days of noticing their weapon is missing.

Failure to do so will be a misdemeanor carrying a $500 fine for a first offense and $750 fines and up to 90 days imprisonment for subsequent violations.

The National Rifle Association said the new law is "frivolous" and Baltimore leaders should concentrate more on enforcing current laws, not adding new ones.

But city officials said this will help police build cases against "straw purchasers," people who resell legally purchased guns on the black market.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 quoted:
SNIP But city officials said this will help police build cases against "straw purchasers," people who resell legally purchased guns on the black market.
Words fail me.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yeah... report your stolen gun(s)... 'Like it matters. Anyone finding a P-08 9mm Luger... byf mfg 1943 S/N 7269 Waffenampt marked... it's MINE. Reported stolen in Ellicott City... 1992. If that pistol was ever recovered... it went into some cop's pocket. :X

LEO 229

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Yeah... report your stolen gun(s)... 'Like it matters. Anyone finding a P-08 9mm Luger... byf mfg 1943 S/N 7269 Waffenampt marked... it's MINE. Reported stolen in Ellicott City... 1992. If that pistol was ever recovered... it went into some cop's pocket. :X
Could have been used in a murder and then buried under a new tree being planted.

This actually happened.... stump removal company found one after they removed the stump!!! Been there for a very long time.

I doubt a cop is really that interested in your gun. If it is stolen and the cop has it... it is still stolen and I doubt the cop will be keeping it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Got any idea what a Luger like that is worth? All matching part numbers, 98% original finish, original grips and magazine? Well... my homeowners insurance finally paid me $1,300.00 for it in 1993. No... that pistol never went under any stump.

Norton

imported post

This law violates the state pre-emption law.

The general assembly tried to pass this mandatory reporting bill last session and it was defeated. The city knows this law is illegal and yet persists with it.

They will lose in a court challenge.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Baltimore continues to run it's own little fiefdom.... regardless of any 'law(s)' to the contrary... 'Hon'! Maryland is bad enuff... but Baldymore is worse.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

More gun restrictions = more crime.

Virginia has shall carry laws and legal private sales. Gun crimes and crime in general way down from a decade ago. The same decade of the KLINTON/Bradie Krime Bill.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
More gun restrictions = more crime.

Virginia has shall carry laws and legal private sales. Gun crimes and crime in general way down from a decade ago. The same decade of the KLINTON/Bradie Krime Bill.
No "shall carry" laws on the books yet! They are only "shall issue" so far. :D

Guns save lives and reduce crime too.

Yata hey

echo6tango

imported post

This means that if a criminal steals firearms during a robbery, they (the criminal) is required under this law to report the theft right? Otherwise, they are breaking the law? Just another law on the books that will save SO many lives and prevent SO many crimes...I love this State : )

EDIT: to specify the "they"

Norton

imported post

I wonder what the penalties for failure to report are compared to the penalties for the theft of the firearm.

In MD, it's entirely possible that the person committing the theft may not go to jail for as long as the victim of the crime who fails to report the theft.

ckhartman

imported post

I might be a liberal, but I feel strongly about our rights to bear arms. The NRA is right. Law abiding gun owners will report their stole guns to the police, because we want them back. Criminals won't report it, and if they get caught, they could easily say they didn't realize their gun was missing. All these laws have loop holes. I'm not saying stolen guns isn't a problem since 10-15% of the crimes are commited with them, but the government should come up with a way to get them off the streetswithout infringing on law abiding gun owners.Stolen guns are alsocold hard cash. There isn't a way to check if a gun was reported stolen. The only state that has a stolen gun database is Florida state government http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/pashome.a.. Obviously, law abiding gun owners do report their stolen guns, since Florida has a stolen gun database. These politicians should use common sense. The only national database I've been able to find is http://www.firearmsfax.com/firearmsfax/public/index. We need the US Government to start a national database that's accessible to the public. They talk about wanting to get stolen guns off the street, but they won't allow us the general public to access the NCIC. How does that make sense? Maybe if they did, we can get the stolen guns out of the hand of criminals. As everyone can see, I'm little bit overzealous. Sorry, but it burns me up when I hear what these pencil pushing politicians want to do.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

All that would require 'registration'. I have had a handgun stolen... a P-08 Luger. That was back in '92. I reported it along with it's markings and serial number. It was never recovered. If it was recovered... it was never returned. (see above posts)

In short... the only serial numbers the government should concern itself with are those reported stolen. Such a data base would provide those robbed of reclaiming their property. The government doesn't want you reclaiming any gun. The government wants control of them. Who has them... where they live and qty/types.

Don't drink the propagandaKool-Aide.

ckhartman

imported post

Hey Sonora, I'm sorry to hear about your luger. I would be heartbroken if my colt my grandfather left me was stolen. I just don't understand why the US government won't make the NCIC database accesible to the public. Your luger probably changed hands couple of times and the buyer never knew it was stolen.

People like you and I will report to the law enforcement agencies when a gun does get stolen, because we don't have anything to hide. The slime balls that live on the fringe of society won't. I just would hate to see people like you and me have big brother watching over us. Don't give them an edge. What else will they impede on next?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

ckhartman wrote:
Hey Sonora, I'm sorry to hear about your luger. I would be heartbroken if my colt my grandfather left me was stolen. I just don't understand why the US government won't make the NCIC database accesible to the public. Your luger probably changed hands couple of times and the buyer never knew it was stolen.

People like you and I will report to the law enforcement agencies when a gun does get stolen, because we don't have anything to hide. The slime balls that live on the fringe of society won't. I just would hate to see people like you and me have big brother watching over us. Don't give them an edge. What else will they impede on next?

Whatever they can get away with under the guise of it being something else. When are these yahoo's gonna wake up to the fact that criminals do not obey 'feel-goodlaws... or any other. They are CRIMINALS!

With the Luger... I even had suspects. Apt maint. workers (w/keys) 'n there was NO investigation whatever. Anything Baltimore... or Maryland gummint does is suspect. The whole LE apparatus is as corrupt as the bobble-heads who run the thing. Everytime I go to a gun show I eyeball the Lugers... So far, no joy!

GWbiker

imported post

Whatever they can get away with under the guise of it being something else. When are these yahoo's gonna wake up to the fact that criminals do not obey 'feel-goodlaws... or any other. They are CRIMINALS!

With the Luger... I even had suspects. Apt maint. workers (w/keys) 'n there was NO investigation whatever. Anything Baltimore... or Maryland gummint does is suspect. The whole LE apparatus is as corrupt as the bobble-heads who run the thing. Everytime I go to a gun show I eyeball the Lugers... So far, no joy!

In mid summer 1995, some cretin broke into my car, screwed open the locked glove box and took a first generation Glock 17 and a full magazine of JHP ammo. I immediately reported to local (Pennsylvania) police weapon serial number. Auto insurance company told me stolen gun not under coverage --:cuss:

To this date, Glock has not been returned nor have I heard anything about crimes committed with it.

Since that day in 1995, I will never leave a gun inside an unattended motor vehicle.