• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Modified or Stock

Palouse

imported post

I have a USP 40, and I found the stock, 14 lb. hammer spring to be too stiff, so I replaced it with a Wolff 10 lb. hammer spring. The result is the double-action pull is much smoother, and I can stay on target much easier. I carry decocked and safety off.

I've read about courts finding fault in SD situations where people have modified their pistol. Does anyone know of any case law here in WA that in some way addresses the stock v. modified issue?

Triple Tap

imported post

Palouse wrote:
I have a USP 40, and I found the stock, 14 lb. hammer spring to be too stiff, so I replaced it with a Wolff 10 lb. hammer spring. The result is the double-action pull is much smoother, and I can stay on target much easier. I carry decocked and safety off.

I've read about courts finding fault in SD situations where people have modified their pistol. Does anyone know of any case law here in WA that in some way addresses the stock v. modified issue?
I think it would apply more in a ND case more than a Defensive Combat case. If you moded your gun and had a ND it could be easier to prove Negligence of the gun owner as they are not a gun smith.

Palouse

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Why would you ever bring it up?
I've never been in a situation where I had to shoot anyone in self-defense, so I can't answer your question specifically, but if you hang out on gun forums and read gun rags enough, the majority opinion seems to be to leave the gun stock, presumably to avoid being prosecuted for somehow making your modified pistol more likely to have a ND.

I don't plan on putting the stock spring back in, so I'm not particularly worried about it, but I've read enough of the stock-gun proponents predicting doom and gloom and jail time to those who modify their SD pistols that I was curious to know if anyone knew of any case law that's dealt with the issue.

Palouse

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
Palouse wrote:

I think it would apply more in a ND case more than a Defensive Combat case. If you moded your gun and had a ND it could be easier to prove Negligence of the gun owner as they are not a gun smith.
I'm not worried about a ND with the pistol. The pull is just as long as a stock Kahr P45 I used to own, and it's a tad stiffer than the Kahr. Besides I had a ND years ago, and I don't want to have another, so I'm pretty careful.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Google for Massad Ayoob.

He testifies in court as an expert witness and keeps track of this sort of stuff.

If memory serves it was he, in either a blog, internet journal, or a magazine article that said in so many words:

Its defensible in court. Basically, by lightening the trigger spring you are making it easier to shoot straight, lessening thepossibility of an errant shot that hits a bystander.Such concern about misses hittingbystandersshowsa responsible attitude.

If I recall it came up in a case where a prosecutor tried to push the line that a lighter trigger meant the gun could be fired faster and was thusmore deadly. This idea was shot down by simple physics--lighter spring equals gun fires more slowly.

colt45ws

imported post

I have a USP 9mm which came with a Wolff 10lb hammer spring in it and the stock spring loose. I switched a couple times then decided to keep the stock spring in it. Just for the reliability aspect.

David.Car

imported post

I would love to have a short trigger job done on my Sig P226, but two things are stopping me right now, and neither of them have to do with legal aspects. Money, and the fact that I love carrying it too much to be without it for that long ;)