• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anticipatory jerk

BlueStreek

imported post

I'm probably not one to give advice as I am far from an expert but I found that dry firing a lot helps some. I recently saw a video on a dry fire method that I am going to try but just haven't had the time yet (credit to USCCA). It recommends balancing something on top of the barrel while you dry fire. I won't say what they said to use because it's something you should never have near you when dry firing. I would suggest a spent casing or a small pile of pennies (start with 2 or 3 and go up from there as you get better). They claim this show any jerk or movement you have during your trigger pull. I can image after doing this for a few sessions that it may improve the anticipatory jerk.

Good luck and be safe.
Ken

TheMrMitch

imported post

BluesStreek....many times have I balanced a nickle on the flat part of a front sight blade (if it was flat). Hold weapon to where you can put coin on blade (or barrel), slowly raise pistol and squeeze.:dude:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dustin wrote:
snip.........

Also and important note: Only the TIP of your finger should be on the trigger. No further in the trigger guard than where your fingernail ends on the otherside. Just the Tip of the finger.
Todd Jarrett disagrees with tip of finger on trigger - so do I - use first joint.
http://tinyurl.com/3sfvft

This is an excellant visual on acquiring a proper grip also.

Yata hey

Dustin

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Dustin wrote:
snip.........

Also and important note: Only the TIP of your finger should be on the trigger. No further in the trigger guard than where your fingernail ends on the otherside. Just the Tip of the finger.
Todd Jarrett disagrees with tip of finger on trigger - so do I - use first joint.

Yata hey

:shock:Huh ? Are you sure ?

I've watched several of Todd J's vids, and he uses and describes the very same trigger method I just described.

In this video he clearly describes and shows how he uses his finger TIP(nail area/First joint pad) but not the Crease of the first Joint

http://splodetv.com/how-todd-jarrett

Also Springfield Armory's Rob Leatham does the same.

Just watch the vid so we can get on the same page here. :cool:I hope.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tippy likey slippy - better to be sure - go deeper, its more natural.

Yata hey

P.S. - Don't go there!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dustin wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Dustin wrote:
snip.........

grapeshot edited to emphasis point

Yata hey

:shock:Huh ? Are you sure ?

I've watched several of Todd J's vids, and he uses and describes the very same trigger method I just described.

In this video he clearly describes and shows how he uses his finger TIP(nail area/First joint pad) but not the Crease of the first Joint

http://splodetv.com/how-todd-jarrett

Also Springfield Armory's Rob Leatham does the same.

Just watch the vid so we can get on the same page here. :cool:I hope.
We are in reality, probably saying the same thing with the exception of "where your fingernail ends" which I took to mean the extreme tip - pointy part.

I concur that the pad not the crease should be the point of contact.

Do we agree to agree? :)

Yata hey

1st freedom

imported post

It appears that we have quite a difference of opinion on finger placement.

Tip of finger can cause you to push the shot.

First joint can cause you to pull the shot as your finger naturally draws closer to your hand as you apply pressure.

The industry standard is, the Pad, center between the tip and the joint of the first digit.

In the end, If you use the tip and your shots are on target and you do it the same way every time, then thats the way you should do it. If you use the first joint and your shots are on target and you do it the same way each time,,, then thats what you should be doing.

Of all the fundamentals, sight alignment and smooth trigger press will effect your shots more than any of the others.

Dustin

imported post

1st freedom wrote:
Tip of finger can cause you to push the shot.

When done correctly the only push is back towards the web of the hand. Effectively pulling the trigger straight back.

Did you watch the video I posted ?

Eitherway, something is causing his shots to be off. Wrong trigger finger placement could very well be the issue.

rodbender

imported post

This is all good advice. Pick the ones that are comfortable for you and shoot away. Remember that once youtrain your muscles, it will be automatic, no matter which pistol you shoot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

catass wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Wrong trigger finger placement could very well be the issue.

you don't need any trigger finger on the trigger. It's all watching the front sight and pressing the trigger correctly.
I think you are confusing "trigger shoe" (an add-on to trigger) with trigger finger which is attached to his shootin' hand - which he does need!

http://tinyurl.com/4fnxrk

Yata hey

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Modern_Technique_of_the_Pistol

The Modern Technique of the Pistol was developed by Jeff Cooper in the 1950s after experiments with older techniques, such as Point Shooting.

[ ... ]

* The Surprise Break The compressed, surprise break of the trigger is used to discharge the firearm.

I don't care what wikipedia says. The link I posted is a primary source, wikipedia is a tertiary source at best. Cooper doesn't deserve the credit this time. Check my link.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
catass wrote:
Dustin wrote:

you don't need any trigger finger on the trigger. It's all watching the front sight and pressing the trigger correctly.
I think you are confusing "trigger shoe" (an add-on to trigger) with trigger finger which is attached to his shootin' hand - which he does need!

Yata hey

Okay, explain to me why when I kept my front sight on a 1" dot @ 2 yards and one of my firearms instructors correctly pressed the trigger back for me, the bullet went where I was aiming?

Explain to me how when I keep my front sight on the same dot at the same distance I can use a pen to properly press the trigger and place the round where I want it to go?

How much, or little, of the index finger that's on the trigger has nothing to do with where the rounds go.

The jerking can be eliminated by incorporating ball and dummy drills into the range plan as well as the suggestion I posted prior.

Dustin

imported post

catass wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
catass wrote:
Dustin wrote:

Yata hey

Okay, explain to me why when I kept my front sight on a 1" dot @ 2 yards and one of my firearms instructors correctly pressed the trigger back for me, the bullet went where I was aiming?

Explain to me how when I keep my front sight on the same dot at the same distance I can use a pen to properly press the trigger and place the round where I want it to go?

How much, or little, of the index finger that's on the trigger has nothing to do with where the rounds go.

The jerking can be eliminated by incorporating ball and dummy drills into the range plan as well as the suggestion I posted prior.

Hmm, Let's see

Listen to some guy,

Or

Listen to Professional Competition Shooters ?

I'll go with the 2nd choiceAlex for 2,000 !! Alright and that's today's Daily Double !

BTW< I don't have to explain anything to you. Your own logic, is.. well.. Your own logic. ;)

Your Suggestions Don't make Sense Though;

If I was able to hold my pistol with BOTH hands, while someone else pulled the trigger with a STICK ! I'd hit where I was aiming too, b/c all I would have to do his hold the pistol still. That's like putting a pistol in a VICE and then pulling the trigger with a pencil, nothing to do with trigger control just a matter of holding the pistol tight.

Also you can easily see how effective proper trigger placement can be at any range. Just pay attention to other shooters. Those who can shoot the fastest, with the fastest follow shots, and are the most accurate, never have their entire finger in the trigger guard. Their recoil is smooth and straight back.

Again, I'll ask you, DID YOU WATCH THE VIDEO ???

Here it is again - http://splodetv.com/how-todd-jarrett