• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK or AR

JUMPMASTER

imported post

AR-15 is no problem. You can buy one that was made before a certain date in 1993 or you can buy a current one as long as it's a "post ban" model. Stag Arms is a good choice and they are located locally in New Britain. Go to Hoffmans or any other dealerand you have lot's of choices. You will not be able to buy one witha folding/collapsible stock, bayonet lug, suppressor, or grenade launcher though.

As far as AK-47 as long as it was also made before a certain date in 1993 and it's only capable of firing in semi automatic mode you should be all set otherwise forget it.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

If you want'a keep it a long time and not be afraid of 'messin' it up'... get the AK. 'Had mine over 20 years. I think I might'a cleaned it twice. Fires flawlessly. Norinco bottom folder... $240. new in the box w/bayonet 'n oil bottle/cleaning kit.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yep... bayonet yer foe across the river 'n never leave yer own hole too.

GoldCoaster

imported post

These rules are very stupid, but violate them and you're popped.

Here are what CT considers firearms non grata

From the DPS list at:
http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/assault_weapons.pdf

Algimec Agmi Armalite AR-180 Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol Auto-Ordnance Thompson type Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1 Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 Colt AR-15 and Sporter Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2 Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45 Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC FAMAS MAS 223 Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT Federal XC-900 and XC-450 Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12 Galil AR and ARM Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89 Holmes MP-83 MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000 Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only Scarab Skorpion SIG 57 AMT and 500 series Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3 Sterling MK-6 and MK-7 Steyr AUG Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol Weaver Arms Nighthawk Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol
or
A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be rapidly assembed if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

dbernor

imported post

Or, another option for you if you really had your heart set on the 7.62 x 39 would be to pick up and SKS and convert it to the AK style.

LKB3rd

imported post

If you do that, (add a detachable magazine) then you have to make it conform to the assault weapons ban. You'd have to remove the flash hider, bayonet and mounts, grenade launcher, AND conform to 922r.
I have an SKS that is stock, and it works fine as is, and I agree that an SKS is a good way to shoot 7.62x39.

1911crazy

imported post

You can buy a russian izhmash saiga in 223rem or in 308win. Its as close to an ak/akm as we'll ever get in this state. Its in a black sporter wrapper. I got mine for plinking, target shooting and hunting. Its the hottest buy on the planet.

For a semi-auto in 7,62x39 i would look for an sks You can still find some excellent looking chinese norinco's around here.

LKB3rd

imported post

There has been a russian SKS in the New Haven area bargain news for I think 400 for close to a month now. Also, a Chinese one for 375 if I recall correctly. The chinese one is probably overpriced, but the Russian for 400 I think is a pretty good price. I'd snag it, but I have a Yugo already.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

LKB3rd wrote:
There has been a russian SKS in the New Haven area bargain news for I think 400 for close to a month now. Also, a Chinese one for 375 if I recall correctly. The chinese one is probably overpriced, but the Russian for 400 I think is a pretty good price. I'd snag it, but I have a Yugo already.

Newington Gun Exchange had a Norinco SKS in good condition for $250 last week.

1911crazy

imported post

They also had some norinco's for $500 too in mint condition. If you think thats over priced just wait a little longer till the yugo sks's are completely gone, we just may see the sks's hitting $750 or $1,000 by next year. The russian sks's were hitting close to $500 when the flood of yugo sks's hit our shores now that the yugo's are drying up the sks prices will start an up swing for sure. I think that $500 is just the starting point.

I also doubt it if we'll see any new sks's comming here with the EU stopping all the exports to the US weapons wise, there mainly smashing them now into scrap steel. :cuss:

1911crazy

imported post

I don't think the real ak's are transferable here. I think the only AK/AKM we can own is the new russian izhmash saiga in 223 or in 308. We can own the saiga or any other rifle besides the sks in that bad caliber of 7,62x39. I'm not sure if some of the ar's are banned or not.:question:

Yup i can own a saiga in 7,62x39 :cuss:but i can have one in 308:celebrate go figure.:banghead:

1911crazy

imported post

LKB3rd wrote:
If you see a decent looking chinese norinco sks i'd grab it at any price. I'm sure if the next ban hits we will see a big increase in all the prices across the board on anything that shoots. I think even the mention of whats maybe on the ban will start it off too. Just the thought of it right is causing what were seeing now.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

ak 74 is not a listed weapon. You can own one and you can have any "evil" feature you want on it, if it waslegally manufactured prior to 9/13/94

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

(P.A. 93-306, S. 1; P.A. 01-130, S. 1.)

History: P.A. 01-130 amended Subsec. (a) to delete reference to Sec. 53a-46a(h), make technical changes in Subdiv. (2) and add Subdivs. (3) and (4) re physical characteristics criteria applicable to definition of "assault weapon" and amended Subsec. (b) to delete reference to Sec. 53a-46a(h).