• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK or AR

Sonora Rebel

imported post

PRO2ND wrote:
I read some were awhile backthat AK-74's with 5.45 x 39or 223 are legal. But not AK-47's with 7.62 x 39.

What is the difference between the 47 & 74 ?.
27 years and :
The AKM’s receiver, compared to the AK-47, has a stamped sheet metal housing to which a rear stock trunnion and forward barrel trunnion are fastened using rivets. The receiver housing also features a rigid tubular cross-section support that adds structural strength. Guide rails that assist the bolt carrier’s movement which also includes the ejector are installed inside the receiver through spot welding.

The forward barrel trunnion has a non-threaded socket where the barrel is embedded and a hole for a pin that secures the barrel in place. On some models the rear trunnion has two extended mounting arms on both sides that support the buttstock, other fixed models use a stepped shaped trunnion that covers the full width of the inside of the receiver.

The stamped dust cover contains both longitudinal and latitudinal reinforcing ribs for increased durability and decrease weight because of the use of thinner sheet metal

The AKM’s barrel is installed in the forward trunnion and pinned (as opposed to the AK-47, which has a one piece receiver with trunnions that are not removable and a barrel that is screwed-in). Additionally the barrel has horizontal guide slots that help align and secure the handguards in place. To increase the weapon’s accuracy during rapid fire, the AKM was fitted with a slant cut muzzle brake that helps redirect expanding propellant gases upward and to the right during firing. The muzzle brake is threaded on to the end of the barrel. The AKM's slant brake can also be used on the AK-47.

The AKM also has a modified trigger assembly, equipped with a hammer-release delaying device (installed on the same axis pin together with the trigger and disconnector). This device reduces "trigger slap" or "trigger bounce" and the weapon’s rate of fire, which also reduces the dispersion of bullets when firing in fully-automatic mode. The hammer was also changed and equipped with a protrusion that engages the rate reducer and the trigger has only one notched hammer release arm (compared to two parallel arms in the AK-47).

A Moroccan soldier trains with a PM md. 63 alongside U.S. Marines.
The gas block in the AKM does not have a cleaning rod capture or sling loop but is instead fitted with an integrated bayonet support collar that has a cleaning rod guide hole. The forward sling loop was relocated to the front handguard retainer cap, the handguard retainer also has notches that determine the position of the handguards on the barrel. The AKM’s laminated wood handguards have lateral grooves that help securely grip the rifle.

Gas relief ports that alleviate gas pressure in the piston cylinder (placed horizontally in a row on the gas cylinder in the AK-47) were moved forward to the gas block and placed in a radial arrangement.

The AKM’s bolt carrier is slightly lighter in weight and despite some minor differences in its shape – it can be used interchangeably with the AK-47’s bolt carrier and bolt.

The wooden stock used in the AKM is further hollowed in order to reduce weight and is different in shape to a small degree.

The AKM uses a modified return spring mechanism, which replaces the single recoil spring guide rod with a dual “U”-shaped wire guide.

The AKM’s rear sight consists of a ramp with a range scale marked from 100 to 1,000 m (graduated every 100m), as compared to that of the original AK-47, which was graduated to 800meters. The rear sight leaf’s position teeth that secure the sliding adjustable notch were transferred over from the right to the left edge of the ramp. The front sight post also has a slightly different shape and its bottom portion is more narrow.

The AKM comes supplied with a different accessory kit that contains a M1959 6H4 or 6H3-type bayonet (that forms a wire-cutting device when coupled with its scabbard) and comes with synthetic or alloy magazines. The kit also comes with a punch used to drive out various pins and a device that aids in assembling the rate retarding mechanism.

The AKM uses the same ammunition as the AK-47: the 7.62x39mm M43 intermediate rifle cartridge. The arrangement of mechanisms and parts in the AKM and their interaction during loading and firing is practically identical to AK-47, the only difference being the trigger assembly (during the return stage of the bolt carrier on fully automatic mode) as a result of incorporating the rate reducer device.

suntzu

imported post

LKB3rd wrote:
You can get a Saiga as long as it isn't 7.62x39 and it isn't an "ak type" according to the attorney general and the awb.
what is the use of buying a Saiga if it isn't a 7.62x39? That is part of what makes an AK an AK--just like the 5.56 NATO makes an AR an AR....who wants a .22lr that looks like an AK?

if you can buy it there--buy an SKS they are 7.62x39 and they don't look like those "evil mean military style rifles" that this government is trying to scare us sh&&less of...:banghead:

Tazman2

imported post

suntzu wrote:
LKB3rd wrote:
You can get a Saiga as long as it isn't 7.62x39 and it isn't an "ak type" according to the attorney general and the awb.
what is the use of buying a Saiga if it isn't a 7.62x39? That is part of what makes an AK an AK--just like the 5.56 NATO makes an AR an AR....who wants a .22lr that looks like an AK?

if you can buy it there--buy an SKS they are 7.62x39 and they don't look like those "evil mean military style rifles" that this government is trying to scare us sh&&less of...:banghead:
The Saiga is legal in CT in .223 and .308 so I'm not sure where you got the .22lr from. I bought the .308 as I wanted a minimum 7.62x39 but didn't want to go SKS as I keep hearing they are a hit or miss on quality, etc.

1911crazy

imported post

The Russians @ Izhmash admitted the saiga's in 223 & in 308 are a tad more accurate over the saiga's in the russian calibers. They think its because of our design of our brass case.

The Russians did focus making the saigas more accurate than there ak brothers and they did with success.

At the very begining the russians couldn't get the welding process down on the sheetmetal so they stayed with the solid milled receivers. As they figured it out they then had the welding process down to increase the production of this awesome gun.

I was never interested in the over priced black rifles in 223 until i seen the saiga for just $259 in 223. At least the saiga's will perform in and weather conditions without jamming. I would like to see the numbers to this day from the beginning of the issue of the service men and women who died because of the slamma/jamma matic m16. It's still happening in iraq and afganistan.:cuss: The 223 still isn't a stopping round at all too. Were finally finding this out in iraq neither is the 9mm too. They finally realized that nothing can match the performance of the old 45acp even to this day. There even putting the old m14's back in action too. I guess that history came full circle on the little 22cal round bullets finally. It takes too many rounds to kill. And these arabs will keep on fighting until death.:banghead: If they left the stoner design alone and kept the politics out of it the M16 would probably be an awesome gun. Its the changes our goverment made to it that screwed it up.

For one of the best quality rifles in 7,62x39 go with the chinese norinco sks. The accuracy is hard to beat. My 16" barreled paratrooper@ 100yds will shoot 1 1/2" groups. I can actually ping small rocks on the berm with it its that accurate.(iron sights) My 20" barreled scoped sks will shoot under 1" groups @ 100yds and even under 1/2" groups if i do my part. Before seeing my two sks's shoot this good using norinco ammo when i seen a sniper sks i would laugh, i just ever thought they could shoot that good.

If your browsing for an sks look for a chinese sks with a letter serial number followed by four numbers. example; A1234 Called a "SINO-SOVIET SKS" These were assembled by the chinese using russian parts. I believe they run from the "A" to the "R" in letters. When the russians taught the chinese how to manufacture and build the sks's they brought the russian manufactured parts with them. They also brought the tooling with them too. The features are; blade bayonet, upside down "U" on the rear site, rear side sling loop, the side of the receiver is missing the chinese markings, plus the letter serial number followed by 4 numbers. Your actually buying a russian quality sks at a chinese price.

Sks's ranked for quality

1. Russian & chinese norinco "these are the best they can be"

2. Romanian pretty decent plus a chromed lined bore

3. Albanian pretty beat plus a chromed lined bore

4. Yugo They seem heavier over the others but last because of no chromed lined barrel.

I was never interested in the ak/akm design rifle for all these many years. On the day i was going to look at the M1A in 308 I seen a rack full of the saiga's with 16" barrels in 308 for just $389. I was never really interested in the sheetmetal stamped guns too. But after shooting the 308 saiga it really changed my mind towards these awesome guns.
There's a new shippment of saiga's due here soon.

Protector

imported post

The list of weapons noted in Sec 53-202a in slightly more readable format.

Algimec Agmi;
Armalite AR-180;
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol;
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type;
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type;
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1;
Beretta AR-70;
Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol;
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P;
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88;
Colt AR-15 and Sporter;
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2;
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45;
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC;
FAMAS MAS 223;
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT;
Federal XC-900 and XC-450;
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12;
Galil AR and ARM;
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol;
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89;
Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type;
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion;
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000;
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only;
Scarab Skorpion;

SIG 57 AMT and 500 series;
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol;
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3;

Sterling MK-6 and MK-7;
Steyr AUG;
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns;
USAS-12;
UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol;

Weaver Arms Nighthawk;
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

tanker

imported post

jump master you seem to know about all these laws and definitions I have an ar 15 out of state that I bought over24 years ago its pre ban no lug from colt stock I think its model 6400? any way in 1991 I moved out of state to nev for 10 years and came back in 2001 left it there in safe hands and on arrival called state police explained circomstaces and a need to register it and was told too late all you can do is turn it in for distruction even thou it was proptly registered with bpt police in 1981? when purchased is there anything I can do to be reunited with it without going to prison? tanker

Hef

imported post

According to the CT AWB I can legally bring my GSG-5 into the state, as long as I put the original fixed stock back on (classic army tele stock on now). Cool.