• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I reckon it was bound to happen...

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

Bill, first off, great work with the recorder, not only were you a quick draw with it, but it will make a great reference for anyone else OC'ing in Wal-Mart.:cool:

Im happy it overall went well, despite the LEO's doing their jobs of course. One question, did the Manager, say she was aware of its legality in front of the officer? If so how did he react? just wondering personally.

Ill look forward to the audio Bill, and if you need a wingman in Wytheville, just let me know bud.

*Martial Arts is now my secondary weapon*

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Actually, you did have to show the officer both your CHP and ID on demand, since you admitted to carrying concealed to him.

This reminds me that the Town Attorney never got back to me about that damned illegal sign :cuss:

Yes - a good chance VCDL will be visiting Wytheville. Can you verify the sign is still up?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
Actually, you did have to show the officer both your CHP and ID on demand, since you admitted to carrying concealed to him.

This reminds me that the Town Attorney never got back to me about that damned illegal sign :cuss:

Yes - a good chance VCDL will be visiting Wytheville. Can you verify the sign is still up?

Philip beat me to it....

Under 18.2-308 H -

H. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge; and the date of issuance. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be no larger than two inches wide by three and one-fourth inches long and shall be of a uniform style prescribed by the Department of State Police. The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

Sheriff

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
The only downside was when Officer Boggs said that I shoud think about carrying a smaller pistol.

Did you suggest he think about eating smaller donuts? :D

OK, on a more serious note, I would have asked Boggs what difference the size of a gun make if it's being carried legally?

And I am glad to see the manager had a little bit of sense about her.

edited: typo -- bot to bit

Renegade

imported post

Great story Bill - I just love reading stories like this when step-by-step the lawful citizen corrects a potential wrong. You know darn well the police are talking about what happened and sharing the info...so are the other employees at Wal-Mart.

The good word is being spread and our seemingly "minor" incidents are pushing our efforts forward in every city and county. Heck, with VCDL setting the pace years ago open carry has spread to numerous other states!

Thanks again for sharing your personal example of turning a potential bad situation into a good one for everyone.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm a little shocked that would happen in Wytheville Bill, but stupid seems to be everywhere these days. Good job!

richarcm

imported post

You people are good. Always seem knowledgeable, prepared and quick on your toes. I like reading these stories....they make me feel more confident when someone says something smart to me or when walking past cops.

I'm wondering if I should invest in a voice recorder. I haven't yet because I downloaded a voice recorder app to my iPhone. You can email the file to yourself. I'd just assume not have to carry around something else. Its already heard enough with jeans on to carry my keys, cigarettes, lighter, phone, wallet, pocket change and keep the pocket under my 1911 empty.

ProShooter

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
(Again, my understanding is that when asked by the police to identify myself Ineed to comply andidentify myself, but not required toproduce ID. Correct?

I think your confusion has me confused, so let's back up...

If a LEO asks you for identification, you need to identify yourself. This can be done verbally and you are not required to produce documents. This would have been the case if you were still openly carrying in the store.

If LEO asks you for your CHP while you are carrying concealed, you must produce your CHP and a valid, government issued photo id. Most LEOS ask for a DL since its what most people have. This is now the case since you switched to concealed carry from open carry.

ProShooter

imported post

hlh wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
If a LEO asks you for identification, you need to identify yourself. This can be done verbally and you are not required to produce documents. This would have been the case if you were still openly carrying in the store.

Only if you're a crime suspect.
Thank you Lee, forgot to add that.....way too early and I hadnt finished my morning coffee yet! :)

bayboy42

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Bill in VA wrote:
(Again, my understanding is that when asked by the police to identify myself Ineed to comply andidentify myself, but not required toproduce ID. Correct?

I think your confusion has me confused, so let's back up...

If LEO asks you for your CHP while you are carrying concealed, you must produce your CHP and a valid, government issued photo id. Most LEOS ask for a DL since its what most people have. This is now the case since you switched to concealed carry from open carry.
Good summary.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
snip.....

6. Mixed in with the threats of handcuffs and arrests was his statementthat only a driver's license or DMV-issued ID was acceptable as aform of ID. (you, me, and the law ddisagree with him on this point. My apologies for leaving this out of the initial post, but I didn't think itgermane to the topicat the time. Based on the growing confusion I see I should've been clearer on this.)

7. At the end of the encounterthe same officer proceeded to/attempted to lecture me on how I'm required to show ID while carrying concealed and "any time you are carry a weapon you can be checked [for ID (garbled in the recording)]...you don't comply you could handcuffed, even arrested." This staemetn that he made is not correct (see item 1.)
I sincerely hope that you are going to persue a formal complaint. There is no reason for an office to respond in this manner/attitude. If allowed to go unanswered, it will not get better.

Yata hey

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VCDL President wrote:

True you have to show CHP and photo ID; it doesn't have to bea driver license, though.

I know at least one person who shows a military ID (retired) instead, since it does not have his address on it.

If I'm wrong on this, I'd appreciate a correction, as that is what I have been planning if it's ever needed.

ProShooter

imported post

Bill,

I think that you handled yourself well. I can't speak on the officers attitude and/or demeanor since I wasnt there....lord knows some of the guys I worked with didnt have the best 'bedside manner'.

I can tell you though that in 12 years of wearing a uniform, I never asked anyone for their "government issued photo id". I simply asked for their id or driver's license because it washabit. Even folks who dont drive usually had a DMV issued id card. 99.9% of the time when you ask someone for id, they hand you their license. I never was handed a military id card or passport. I got a few foreign driver's licenses and crumpled pieces of paper, and one guy gave me his photo id that allowed him to get food stamps in the city......