• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Central WA State Fair 9/30/08

Blue Sky

Banned
imported post

Greetings.

I'm a lurker who now has something to contribute.

I went to the fair in Yakima today and thought I'd share my experience. I was unarmed, went through the turn-style and asked the 4 attendants if it was ok to open carry. They had no idea what I meant so I explained it to them. They said no.They also referred to the sign saying no weapons.

I then asked who owned the fair. They said it was the county and city of Yakima.

Is this correct of them or not?

-------------------

Later, I went to the Yakima Sherrifs department booth. I asked one of the cops if it was true that open carry was legal. He said yes but that I should carry concealed so as not to have people call in all the time; and so you don't get stopped every 20 feet.

He clearly tried to discourage me from OC since it will be just too much of a hassel for me, and that it will freak out too many people.

David.Car

imported post

Blue Sky wrote:
Greetings.

I'm a lurker who now has something to contribute.

I went to the fair in Yakima today and thought I'd share my experience. I was unarmed, went through the turn-style and asked the 4 attendants if it was ok to open carry. They had no idea what I meant so I explained it to them. They said no.They also referred to the sign saying no weapons.

I then asked who owned the fair. They said it was the county and city of Yakima.

Is this correct of them or not? Definitly not. Public property at a public event, can't have any restrictions stronger than the states.

-------------------

Later, I went to the Yakima Sherrifs department booth. I asked one of the cops if it was true that open carry was legal. He said yes but that I should carry concealed so as not to have people call in all the time; and so you don't get stopped every 20 feet. That is the general opinion of pretty much every LEO, but again it is just their opinions. Not law.

He clearly tried to discourage me from OC since it will be just too much of a hassel for me, and that it will freak out too many people. Sounds like the problem of the people who get freaked out at the site of some metal on a persons hip.

jbone

imported post

Blue Sky wrote:
He clearly tried to discourage me from OC since it will be just too much of a hassel for me, and that it will freak out too many people.
Did he try to discourage you from exercising any other Amendments contained in the Bill Of Rights, State Law or State Constitution?

It’s sick how those will discourage your rights, the very rights and laws they sore to uphold. Are those who value the 2[suP]nd[/suP] seen as second class citizens?